• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disability allowance appeal tomorrow

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That's all good advice, justy - and I think it was you who told me about the benefits & work site. Like you, I got DLA at the highest rate for mobility and middle rate for personal care without a medical, just on paper.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Yes, and if you get higher rate mobility then that entitles you to a blue badge, and free road tax. So i can always park right outside the shop etc and can save energy for walking in the shop, or to the facility etc.

peggy-sue

I should have said, this incident with the CAB was in 2004. I didn't know very much about ME or "CFS" then.
They asked me if I could cook a meal. I said yes, but only twice a week. They ignored the "but only twice a week" bit.
I tried to tell them what I'd given up in order to get myself there, and how I would suffer for it later (I did know that) and they gave me that cold, hard stare... the one with the narrowing eyes and slightly pursed lips, that goes so well with the very clipped voice that accompanies it, ignored me and went rapidly on to the next page. They could not get me out fast enough.

Sasha, it is meant to refer to the claimant's detriment - or somebody else affected by the claimant. I do not believe the wording is to exclude the claimant.

But.... who can make any sense out of all this complicated wordy stuff? I can't. Not with brain-fog and restricted short-term memory capacity.

snowathlete

It's a disgrace in the UK I'm afraid. If you have ESA already and had an ATOS medical then get a copy as evidence for the application - maybe only helpful for future reference.
It's impossible for them to dispute.
They ignore other medical opinion which is perhaps illegal but they do it. But you can challenge. Ask on what basis they prefer their more junior doctor (if that's the case), they can't give a reasonable answer to that.
Also complain if they do anything wrong. Assuming you have the energy. Taking it all the way takes years. My complaint is two years old now and at the ICE. After that it may go to the Parlimentary Ombudsman.
I just got rejected for DLA. So have a second complaint started now as they acted appallingly. I'm confident I will get it overturned but it will take months for that and the complaint being heard will be another year or two.

It is much easier to deny you and me benefit than the benefit cheats who will lie as much as possible and have unlimited time and energy to tackle them.

How a country treats its vulnerable citizens is perhaps the best measure of society. The UK is a joke. Maybe just as bad elsewhere tho.

This is all excellent help, thank you so much.

I haven't been out once since Friday & that was only as I had access to a car. I know tomorrow is probably going to put me in bed for a while but I really feel strongly about doing this, not just for me, mostly because the farcicality of attitudes to ME.

Very true snowathlete , isn't it awful that people who are ill are made to feel guilty or embarrassed about the fact that we're broken & having to fight like this is exhausting .

Sea

I hope it goes well for you Furball with as little stress as possible, even though I know the odds are that is highly unlikely

anna8

good luck! furball! you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow, i'm not sure were this is from but it always make me smile:)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..
it's about learning to Dance in the Rain!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm out..... Phew that was eventful. Having a well earnt coffee at the moment.

I got DLA... Will go into detail once I'm home... Long day. Thank you all so much for the advice.

Furbie XX

Congratulations! :balloons:

Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, you've definitely earned a coffee!

peggy-sue

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!:thumbsup:
You've cheered me up with this news no end - you're getting your entitlement - it will help you cope a little bit better with living with this DD (Damned Disease), it will make a difference to your life on a small, but daily basis.

Worth celebrating. I think I will join you in your celebratory coffee!
Slange, cheers and bottoms up!

Well I'm back home & having a lie down.

So, they " awarded" me the lowest rate but backdated from July last year, they did state however that I could appeal to have it upgraded as its clear that my condition has decreased since then & they suggested that I do so ( I thought that was very kind of them)

They have 2 sittings a week of DLA appeals where I went & they said that at least 1 a sitting is ME related , which concerned me .

So, beers on me then... But I think I'll need a day or two to recover from today's ordeal :)

Thanks so much xx

snowathlete

Well done!
I'm really delighted for you - you got your award. Calling it that would be silly if not for the fact that you actually had to earn your entitlement by going through the silly process and appeal hearing. You should feel very pleased of yourself!

anna8

Hi furball I hope you have recovered from the ordeal of you appeal last week and once again congratulations!
I have my appeal on Wednesday! Terrified!! So any advice that you think may help would be welcome..

Firestormm

Well I'm back home & having a lie down.

So, they " awarded" me the lowest rate but backdated from July last year, they did state however that I could appeal to have it upgraded as its clear that my condition has decreased since then & they suggested that I do so ( I thought that was very kind of them)

They have 2 sittings a week of DLA appeals where I went & they said that at least 1 a sitting is ME related , which concerned me .

So, beers on me then... But I think I'll need a day or two to recover from today's ordeal :)

Thanks so much xx

It seems strange I know, but congratulations anyway :) I can imagine the relief - I certainly shed many tears and took some time to come around.

Might I ask for how long they made the award? I 'won' my appeal some months back and was awarded low care and low mobility for 3 years.

Others I know have managed an 'indefinite' award more recently but I'm not overly clear that this depends on anything other than the panel's opinion of the condition.

Perhaps age is taken into account along with the degree to which the condition is affecting our lives at the time of the application - based on the evidence presented and on our own testimony - and indeed for how long we have been incapacitated.

Still it seems rather arbitrary - but then I don't suppose it can be anything else.

Congratulations again. Rest up and try to recuperate :)