• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SHMT (+/-) while being MTHFR c677t (+/+) supplementation?

Anteah

Hi, anyone please shed a light. I assume with my setup there is no use in taking (wasting) folinic acid.. so then what are other ways of dealing with SHMT? I keep reading that it often causes gut disbiosis, and it is one of the main symptoms I'd like to part with asap, but there is really not much info on what the treatment really is. Yasko mutation specific supplements seem a bit confusing so far and pricey, plus tend to contain milk.. and that is a no go for me, so just trying to see if there is a cheaper and simpler way that someone is aware of of dealing w shmt?

invisiblejungle

I'm also SHMT+ and C677T ++.

For SHMT, my doctor recommended SHMT Spray (or the individual components: hydroxy B12, folinic acid, lactoferrin, and nucleotides) and Ultimate B (or another B-complex). She said I may need to use the SHMT RNA later on, but it probably won't be necessary.

Edit: Oops, nevermind I'm heterozygous for C677T, not homozygous.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Well...I have the SHMT +/- and I have no dysbiosis. I don't know anything about SHMT though...I have too many genetic defects to research (I am overwhelmed). But I started taking 1g/day Olive Leaf extract 10 years ago when I noticed lowered stomach acidity, because HCL is needed to fend off pathogens in the gut. I have never thus had problems with such. I cannot supplement HCL because it takes zinc to make it and my zinc levels vary drastically with my allergy and supplementation status. Rhinitis allergies (and colds) damage mucous membranes and it takes high dose zinc to repair them which causes me to go hypothyroid, my adrenal gland to go out, and my stomach acid to wane.

Regarding olive leaf extract, there is someone here who recovered from ME/CFS using Freddd's protocol plus a LOT of carnitine (5g/day or so, Drs. Best l-carnitine fumarate) and a combo of garlic extract and olive leaf extract to heal her gut (Velha508).

6 Homozygous:
COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+
ACE Del16 +/+
MTRR A66G +/+
BHMT 1 +/+
CBS C699T +/+

12 Heterozygous:
VDR Taq +/-
VDR Fok +/-
MAO A R297R +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/-
MTRR 11 +/-
BHMT 8 +/-
AHCY 1 +/-
AHCY 2 +/-
AHCY 19 +/-
CBS A360A +/-
SHMT C1420T +/-
NOS D298E +/-

Lotus97

Hi, anyone please shed a light. I assume with my setup there is no use in taking (wasting) folinic acid.. so then what are other ways of dealing with SHMT? I keep reading that it often causes gut disbiosis, and it is one of the main symptoms I'd like to part with asap, but there is really not much info on what the treatment really is. Yasko mutation specific supplements seem a bit confusing so far and pricey, plus tend to contain milk.. and that is a no go for me, so just trying to see if there is a cheaper and simpler way that someone is aware of of dealing w shmt?
I'm new to SNPs so I don't understand this stuff too well, but dbkita posted about SHMT and folinic acid in this thread.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ients-plus-biomarker.21745/page-6#post-344781

I'd recommend checking it out because he seems to know what he's talking about it. Also in the thread there's another post by him about MTHFS, SHMT, and folinic acid.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ients-plus-biomarker.21745/page-6#post-344713

Are you referring to MTHFR C677T in regards to folinic acid? If so, I asked dbkita about that because it one time Rich also thought MTHFR C677T had trouble with folinic acid. There is some information at Yasko's site saying the same thing. But more recently Rich realized it was MTHFS (not MTHFR) and dbkita said the same thing about how it was MTHFS that has trouble processing folinic acid. There's a thread about this here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...d-intolerance-request-for-genetic-data.19168/
In January, Rich asked people to share their 23andMe results for the MTHFS gene to see if we can sort out which SNP or SNPs may be detrimental in ME/CFS. I didn't see where anyone responded. (You can find your MTHFS results by going tohttps://www.23andme.com/you/explorer/ and logging in and entering "MTHFS" for the gene name.)

It's important people contribute so we can try to figure out when folinic acid should be supplemented or avoided for certain people as part of a methylation protocol.

I may be intolerant to folinic acid (seems to cause exacerbation of fatigue, irritation of taste buds) and so am providing my DNA results. We need MTHFS results from as many other people as possible, though, whether intolerant or not.

If you could also include the one SHMT result that Yasko tests for, that may be helpful also. I'm heterozygous (AG) for that SNP (SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277), and the first day I took folinic acid it helped, as might be expected, but then I seemed to gradually get worse over several days (800-1600 mcg/day).

So with respect to that SNP it might be that I have a detrimental down-regulation of MTHFS and Rich has a detrimental up-regulation (or vice versa). A down-reg would cause a build up of folinic acid and thus inhibition of SHMT (and several other enzymes outside the methylation cycle as well) and create an intolerance to supplementation. An up-reg can cause an increased turnover rate and depletion of cellular folate. Note: The C allele - what Rich has two copies of - is the ancestral (wild type) allele according to the NCBI data page.

Did you ever find an answer to your question? I have the same SNPs and have been supplementing with folinic acid but at 1/4 capsule every other day. I alternate the folinic acid with the L-5-MTHF.

I just did a CDSA and have almost NO bacteria in my gut, good or bad. I'm on high dose probiotics and hope that will fix the problem. I believe B12 is generated by good gut bacteria so without bacteria, there is no B12 being generated.
Hope you are getting better.