• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurobehavioral problems following low-level exposure to organophosphate pesticides

adreno

PR activist
Crit Rev Toxicol.2013 Jan;43(1):21-44. doi:10.3109/10408444.2012.738645. Epub 2012 Nov 19.

Neurobehavioral problems following low-level exposure to organophosphate pesticides: a systematic and meta-analytic review.

Ross SM, McManus IC, Harrison V, Mason O.

Source

Research Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology, University College London , Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT , UK.

Abstract

Meta-analysis was carried out to determine the neurotoxic effects of long-term exposure to low levels of organophosphates (OPs) in occupational settings. Concern about the effects of OPs on human health has been growing as they are increasingly used throughout the world for a variety of agricultural, industrial and domestic purposes. The neurotoxic effects of acute poisoning are well established but the possibility that low-level exposure causes ill health is controversial. It is important to get a clear answer to this question as more individuals are at risk of low-level exposure than acute poisoning. Although a number of reviews on this topic have been published in the past, authors have come to conflicting conclusions. To date, none of these reviews have attempted quantitative evaluation of study findings using meta-analysis. This paper reviews the available evidence concerning the neurotoxicity of low-level occupational exposure to OPs and goes on to report the results of a meta-analysis of 14 studies which fulfilled criteria for this type of statistical analysis (means and standard deviations of dependant variables reported). Data were assimilated from more than 1600 participants. The majority of well designed studies found a significant association between low-level exposure to OPs and impaired neurobehavioral function which is consistent, small to moderate in magnitude and concerned primarily with cognitive functions such as psychomotor speed, executive function, visuospatial ability, working and visual memory. Unresolved issues in the literature which should become the focus of further studies are highlighted and discussed.

PMID:23163581

SilverbladeTE

Always loved UK government saying how "OP" chemicals were perfectly safe....and iirc, the minister who brought in the compulsory use of OP sheep dip, regardless of actual need, well he went off to nice job with the sheep dip manufacturers....

I gt M.E. after horrendously nasty damp proofing got put down in my house (was stoned out of my head, NOT FUN, and sick for 6 months, think that was also the cause of thw two week period of "low blood sugar", not sure that entire period in my life's a memory mess) and a nasty Flu-like bug that lasted for 2 months was on the rampage.
Single cause, both, who knows?

I'd also suggest that future research may show that OP chemicals are very dangerous modulators of the immune system, and are behind a large percentage of the increase in allergies/immune problems we've seen
AND
that that a huge conspiracy to supress to the dangers of these chemicals, and other agro-chemical products, has been on the go for decades as part of the "Standard Operating Procedure" of hiding isssues and preventing Big Business form any form of hinderance by corrupt officials
look at recent pressure by these SOBs to bring back DDT! that shows how grotesquely evil and uncaring they are

http://www.oprus2001.co.uk/hseimmune.htm

note from this and other items that OP expsoure even at low levels causes increases numbers/problems with B-Cells
interestinf that is, from our persepctive!

and let us not forget what the much talked about by our war-mongering Politicians, Sarin and VX nervegas are: Organophosphates!
and we spray this crap on our food. Mmmmm...smart, not! :p

natasa778

I gt M.E. after horrendously nasty damp proofing got put down in my house (was stoned out of my head, NOT FUN, and sick for 6 months, think that was also the cause of thw two week period of "low blood sugar", not sure that entire period in my life's a memory mess) and a nasty Flu-like bug that lasted for 2 months was on the rampage.
Single cause, both, who knows?

... http://www.oprus2001.co.uk/hseimmune.htm
note from this and other items that OP expsoure even at low levels causes increases numbers/problems with B-Cells
interestinf that is, from our persepctive!

Look up Ilback at al studies, also some by Danish teams, on xenobiotics and heavy metals and infection - both re . Here is a rough overview, a pubmed search will bring up hundred+ hits

During recent years there have been several incidents in which symptoms of disease have been linked to consumption of food contaminated by chemical substances (e.g., 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin, TCDD). Furthermore, outbreaks of infections in food-producing animals have attracted major attention regarding the safety of consumers, e.g., Bovine Spongiform Encephalitis (BSE) and influenza in chicken. As shown for several xenobiotics in an increasing number of experimental studies, even low-dose xenobiotic exposure may impair immune function over time, as well as microorganism virulence, resulting in more severe infectious diseases and associated complications. Moreover, during ongoing infection, xenobiotic uptake and distribution are often changed resulting in increased toxic insult to the host. The interactions among infectious agents, nutrients, and xenobiotics have thus become a developing concern and new avenue of research in food toxicology as well as in food-borne diseases. From a health perspective, in the risk assessment of xenobiotics in our food and environment, synergistic effects among microorganisms, nutrients, and xenobiotics will have to be considered. Otherwise, such effects may gradually change the disease panorama in society.