• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Happy New Year!

Kati

Patient in training
I am starting this new thread because I am surprised that no one else started one on the new year.
In some ways, I totally understand, I am personally not in party mode as this illness takes bigger grips in my body. And I will only be happier when it's all over.

However New Years always sparks reflection on what I want my life to be like, what I want to change or what I want to do better.

I am thinking that for those so inclined, it would be a great exercise to look for strategies for the next year to incite social change and encourage government action.

Where do we want to be in 3 months time? What could we do for May 12th to be more visible? What should our next campaign be all about? How can we fundraise to get research funding to our experts?

adreno

PR activist
Happy New Year!

Personally, New Year is just another day for me, and I don't make any plans I couldn't make on any other day.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi Adreno, my thought was more towards advocacy goals for our community

I was too hungover to start a thread, following my wild debauchery. We stole a cop car, loaded huge speakers on to the roof, and then formed a convoy of ravers on the M25. We were driving around London so fast that a vortex appeared and sucked Buckingham Palace off in to space, with the Queen shaking her little fist at us as she flew past. Ah well, you're only young once.

Ember

How can we fundraise to get research funding to our experts?
Here's an idea to consider: Small Change to Change ME - Let's do it for ME! - ldifme

The Canadian government will apparently save $11 million/year by stopping the production of pennies on February 4th. Perhaps we could appeal to have that saving on small change passed our way.
The government says it costs about $11 million a year to supply pennies to the economy....

The minimum cost of keeping the penny in circulation was $150 million in 2006, according to the Desjardins Group. However, the cost that year would have been especially high because it was the peak year for penny production. The $150 million includes costs for government, financial institutions, retailers and consumers.
2013 pennies from heaven?

peggy-sue

I have often thought that the proper sort of support we need could be delivered by an organisation similar to that of MacMillan or Marie Curie cancer care organisations.

Nice, well-educated, sympathetic nurses to do home visits and give you all the appropriate advice and care and equipment; somebody who can deal with all the benefits and make sure you get what is due, without you having to go into it all and try to work out the pitfalls of legalese and excluding loopholes and crashing badly after trying to read one paragraph of that tripe.

I was too hungover to start a thread, following my wild debauchery. We stole a cop car, loaded huge speakers on to the roof, and then formed a convoy of ravers on the M25. We were driving around London so fast that a vortex appeared and sucked Buckingham Palace off in to space, with the Queen shaking her little fist at us as she flew past. Ah well, you're only young once.

Yeah, baby!

austin-powers-musical.jpg

Enid

Late catching up - a permanent problem - but Happy New Year Kati.