• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetics v. Symptoms

To whoever out there has had your genes mapped, maybe we can find commonalities and differences that can help us?

I will start. I have my genes listed in my footer. I read somewhere that people who are comt +/+ do not tend to get problems with pathogens (as most of you seem to have) due to dopamine apparently kills stuff. Is this true? Are there any other COMT +/+ out there who do have virus issues?

Are there any others with the CBS genetic defect and do you have virus issues? Supposedly those with CBS issues are the sickest - is that true? (I think my AHCY defects partly cancel the CBS in my case so I opt out of that question).

All right these aren't very inspired questions, but it's a place to start

How: send a simple spot of blood on a card through the mail
Where: via www.heartfixer.com although they send away to a lab and it is the same one Dr. Yasko uses, so I am sure there are other ways to get it
Why: Well, I got it done because I wanted to be able to key in on specific nutrients that my biochemical pathway required and leave off others -- I wanted to know where to focus my efforts (specifically, I did not want to take 10 sublingual B12's if what I needed was 5 methylfolates).

But in practice it did not work this way because when it came back with 18 genetic defects for me I was overwhelmed and I really never got a handle on it. I was just expecting one. Could have lived with 2 or 3. But I never could research 18. And when I saw the CBS it threw me into a black depression because I don't know if it's possible to fix that. So...I can't say it did for me what I thought it would. Except I know why I've never found anyone like me out there. I guess I'm just Frankenstein. In Mary Shelley's Frankenstein the horror was not that he was so ugly and manacing, but that he was so alone because there was no other on the face of the earth like him. That is why he went after the doctor who created him.

Nielk

Are you talking about the Nutrigenomic Testing and Therapy they talk about?
I am just a lay person. But, let's say they find some genetic problems that causes you to have specific illnesses, I would think there is nothing that you can do about your genetic make up. It is what it is. You can't change it. You are saying that based on the results, you would know how to supplement your body to balance it. When they take this testing, do they give you advice as to what to do with the results?

Thanks for your information,
Nielk

u&iraok

I'm very interested in this, too, rydra, but I don't know if mine will help because I don't have the rs numbers, which I assume are the numbers/letters after the SNP? Looks like we only have MTHFR and VDR in common but I have errors in these SNPs:

MTHFR

EPHX - Microsomal Epoxide Hydrolase - Detoxifies epoxides

GPX1- Glutathione Peroxidase - Eliminates hydrogen peroxide

TNF-a - Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha - Multifunctional, proinflammatory cytokine

PON-1 - Parioxonase-1 - Hydrolizes oxidized phospholipids

CYP11B2 - Aldosterone Synthase - Regulates blood pressure via kidney and fluid balance

APOB - Apolipoprotein B - Main lipoprotein of chylomicrons and LDL

VDR - Vitamin D receptor - Bone mineral density

I had the genetic test done by Integrative Genomics sometime in the early 2000's (can't remember the year without looking at the test, memory shot, you understand) and it was $300 or $500, can't remember which so I'd like to do it again if the test you reference is not that high. Are the tests more advanced now than when I got mine?

My ND went over it with me and it helped him tailor my program and supplements. They were all one parent errors which was no surprise as I know I got my health problems from my maternal grandmother. Her children have some problems, though not as bad as me and my siblings as we all have ME or Fibromyalgia. My mother especially, and her side are healthy. All I inherited from her was her good teeth (my dad has something like 20 cavities, don't know how many amalgams!).

Um, it is called Nutrigenomics. It is offered by Dr. Amy Yasko and Dr. Roberts (heartfixer). I don't know who else offers it.
It is very expensive, it runs somewhere in the range $1,200 to $2,000, I don't remember (I paid it wil my tax returns) and maps 30 genes. It does not map EPHX, GPX1,TNF-a,PON-1,CYP11B2, APOB. The
doctor gives you a book and dvd by Dr. Yasko and about 10 types pages explaining the mutations you have and supplements you need to bypass them. They actually ecommend way more supplements than I take and different ones. I do not follow their protocol. I am not going to eat charcoal to absorb ammonia. I simply ordered an ammonia test, ate 80 grams of protein and measured ammonia -- I was fine. Since I rarely eat as much as 80g anyway, I don't worry about it. There are some odd things Dr. Yasko wants you to take - I don't know what they were but all her patients were saying they were a waste of money. She prescribes hydroxycobalamin and other non-methylated substances because I am COMT +/+ and she thinks I could get too many methyls, but never will I follow that advice -- I only only only take active B's -- I follow Fredd's protocol except for I use TMG (never SAMe) and in addition to mfolate I take folinic acid. Basically Dr Roberts has a file with paragraphs about each genetic mutation and when he gets your mutations back from the lab he just cuts and pastes together a report for you.

The point is that if I get off my duff and research it (I am still freaked out by how much work that would be) I can maybe expend with some supplements and concentrate on others.

The actual SNP is important...there is quite a difference between one MTHFR mutation and another...mine is broken on the BACKWARD path (the path that looks like it is involved in regenerating BH4). The other mutations are in the forward direction and affect SAMe production.

It may be that I can never get above a 7 functionality because I have the CBS gene which drains away homocysteine instead of recycling it. But now that I know I have the dreaded CBS gene, I guess it is pretty awesome that I have a 7 functionality.

-----

I have a project to do for my class in addition to everything else so I won't be able to respond for awhile. Life sometimes gets too demanding and squeezes out time. Take care.

u&iraok

Oh, dear me, no, too expensive. It would be nice to know, but it's really just a guide, no absolutes. Each person is uniqure and trial and error is involved.

But I do like that it's a place to start. You'll get to the research, a little at a time. It'll be a fun project. ;)

The good thing is that there's a lot of research and a lot written about homosysteine especially now that they're discovering that it's that and not cholesterol that is the bad guy. Life Extension writes a lot about it. I see you take TMG.

Johnmac

There seem to be a lot of threads on this site like this - people looking for a way to decipher their genetic results, & to learn how they should respond to them in terms of diet etc.

Is there, by now, a webpage somewhere listing the main SNPs with such recommendations alongside them?

Anteah

You can use 23andme test for $99 if you find Yasko's test a bit too expensive. It maps out many more SNPs than those on Yasko or other more narrow panels. I feel that the only way one would need to go with Yasko is if you are also looking for her explanation of your results and recommendation, otherwise if you are doing your own research I see 23andme is the much cheaper option. I personally waited until it became affordable ($99) to do it as I just couldn't afford to spend a couple of hundred on this.

Also, Rydra, I was already thinking we should all collect our test results together (minus the identifying info of course) into one database and see what commonalities we have in terms of mutations, and not only those pertaining to methylation but just overall across the entire spectrum of mapped out data. For that I assume 23andme test would be the most useful, but yes, I second your interest in that. I think we CFS/ME folk must have some markers that set us apart form unaffected population.

Johnmac

Thanks again Anteah.

I did the 23&me test - no results yet. I waited till it got cheap too.

Re interpretation: I'll read Yasko's book as you suggest, & look at the various other sources people have mentioned, & will hopefully work my way thru it.

Over on the mercury chelation site we all post our hair tests (of heavy metals) on a common website, so everyone can comment & give advice. It works pretty well.

adreno

PR activist
Also, Rydra, I was already thinking we should all collect our test results together (minus the identifying info of course) into one database and see what commonalities we have in terms of mutations, and not only those pertaining to methylation but just overall across the entire spectrum of mapped out data. For that I assume 23andme test would be the most useful, but yes, I second your interest in that. I think we CFS/ME folk must have some markers that set us apart form unaffected population.

Good idea, but we really can't go through all SNPs by hand. We need a programmer who can whip up some code that can identify commonalities in the entire genome, across the whole cohort. Still I believe it is unlikely we will identify any SNPs that stand out in an ME/CFS cohort (our community).

Anteah

True, luckily my husband and few of my friends are able to build a database tool that can help with that. There is also a separate database in existance that we will need to incorporate into this tool that will help to mark the SNPs that are common in general population, since we do not have a control sample of our own. I m slowly working now on getting a website up where we all can upload our genetic test results, should be done shortly.