• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely honoured with a knighthood for his work for GWS and ME

GracieJ

British musicians have received knighthood for "what they did for the country," financially, by some accounts. Considering how much money has been "saved" by burying a disease... who knows?

anniekim

there was an interesting article on the bbc website about 2 years ago which I just found. Represenatives from a gulf war charity said by not classing gulf war syndrome as a distinct entity (Wessley says it is not an distinct illness but an effect, whatever that means) veterans could not claim compensation for medical negligence. Wessley saved a lot of money for the government with his work on Gulf War syndrome - and of course we know the flawed model he and his acolytes support of M.e has saved money too...

anniekim

Actually reading through the article again (id post it here but haven't worked out how to copy and paste links on my i pad), the gulf war vets didn't say because Wessley claims it not a distinct illness they could not claim compensation for medical negligence but that the Ministry of Defence do not want to acknowledge gulf war syndrome as they don't want veterans to claim compensation. Earlier in the article it says how Wessley in his work on gulf war syndrome does not believe gulf war syndrome is a distinct illness but an effect. I joined up the dots...

My rhetorical question would be why did the Ministry of Defence hire Wessley, a psychiatrist, to research gulf war syndrome? Did they hope he would do as he did and not class it as a distinct illness as say an immunologist would have if they had researched it?

Min

Shouldn't this outstanding citizen also be given an award for his services to those affected by the Camelford Water Poisoning incident?

In 1988 20 tons of aluminium sulphate were erroneously dumped in the water supply at Camleford. Professor Wessely allegedly dismissed all evidence and accused the sick Camelford residents of somatisation [hysteria], and accused the media of irresponsible reporting of this water-poisoning incident. Wessely apparently also blamed those affected of sensationalising their symptoms in order to get compensation.

Two inquests into deaths revealed high levels of aluminium in the brains of the victims.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120314145929AAcBbb4
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/14/camelford-poisonings-cornwall-inquest-water

Enid

Outstanding citizen - how about my postman who comes in all weathers in shorts (blow the cold).Do you think there are just too many good bods that the powers that be just lost their ability for seeing the wood for the trees.

Enid

Problem is with my postman duckndive is that he feels he is simply doing his job to the best of his capabilities - what makes this nit SW any better.

Enid

PR - bit of a smoothie, little bit of science and wango wonga land - what could dupe more. Yep their bullshit goes on - can we suggest retirement to holes in the ground - like my slugs might even welcome and advise better.

alex3619

Actually reading through the article again (id post it here but haven't worked out how to copy and paste links on my i pad), the gulf war vets didn't say because Wessley claims it not a distinct illness they could not claim compensation for medical negligence but that the Ministry of Defence do not want to acknowledge gulf war syndrome as they don't want veterans to claim compensation. Earlier in the article it says how Wessley in his work on gulf war syndrome does not believe gulf war syndrome is a distinct illness but an effect. I joined up the dots...

My rhetorical question would be why did the Ministry of Defence hire Wessley, a psychiatrist, to research gulf war syndrome? Did they hope he would do as he did and not class it as a distinct illness as say an immunologist would have if they had researched it?

While I don't consider this as proof of anything, it fits with the notion of Zombie Science. Zombie Science is political or financial support of an hypothesis due to financial or political agendas rather than quality of the science.

taniaaust1

Professor Simon Wessely has dramatically improved mental health services for the Armed Forces. His academic work led to a better understanding of Gulf War Illness and to more effective psychological support for the armed services. His work has spread beyond the UK to the US and Australia and he works closely with a number of charities in support of ex-servicemen and women.

I wonder what hand he's also had in "working closely" with some of the CFS charities? I feel sorry for the GWS people seeing he's so much infiltrated the groups with his beliefs.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
there was an interesting article on the bbc website about 2 years ago which I just found. Represenatives from a gulf war charity said by not classing gulf war syndrome as a distinct entity (Wessley says it is not an distinct illness but an effect, whatever that means) veterans could not claim compensation for medical negligence. Wessley saved a lot of money for the government with his work on Gulf War syndrome - and of course we know the flawed model he and his acolytes support of M.e has saved money too...

I watched a weapons show the other day on tv, nothing to do with gulf war syndrome but they did talk about a bomb/rocket they used alot for tanks that had some type of radiation from it during the first gulf war. It showed many soldiers walking past these tanks after it had exploded, many looked through the tank etc and also the wind would blow the smoke from these burning tanks all over the place. It was mentioned that no training etc was given to these soldiers in how to deal with this, it was actually totally ignored, so many of these guys were exposed to the radiation of these bombs used for blowing up sadams tanks. Apparently it was a top secret weapon and not mentioned until a few years ago. Hey but if one just keeps positive and exercises and their symptoms ignored, radiation cant harm you and your bound to get a knight hood for hiding the dangers exposed to the soldiers in the gulf war, wow he really did do a service to the guys fighting for their country or maybe a dis service.

I watched a weapons show the other day on tv, nothing to do with gulf war syndrome but they did talk about a bomb/rocket they used alot for tanks that had some type of radiation from it during the first gulf war. It showed many soldiers walking past these tanks after it had exploded, many looked through the tank etc and also the wind would blow the smoke from these burning tanks all over the place. It was mentioned that no training etc was given to these soldiers in how to deal with this, it was actually totally ignored, so many of these guys were exposed to the radiation of these bombs used for blowing up sadams tanks. Apparently it was a top secret weapon and not mentioned until a few years ago. Hey but if one just keeps positive and exercises and their symptoms ignored, radiation cant harm you and your bound to get a knight hood for hiding the dangers exposed to the soldiers in the gulf war, wow he really did do a service to the guys fighting for their country or maybe a dis service.
DU is a relatively low radiotoxic source, but may offer more serious chemical toxitcity. US army has monitoring in place, main problem seems to come from shrapnel (friendly fire events) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2702412/ http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA560601 and http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/7/1/303/htm Nothing especially secret about DU rounds, there's been public discussion since at least 1980.

IVI