• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Andrew Wakefield wins Golden Duck award for lifetime achievement in quackery

wdb

Andrew Wakefield, the doctor struck off the medical register for his discredited research that claimed to find a link between autism and the MMR vaccine, can add another honour to his list this Christmas: the inaugural Golden Duck award for lifetime achievement in quackery, set up by the science writer Simon Singh.

Runners-up for the award were Prince Charles and David Tredinnick, the Tory MP for Bosworth and member of the Commons health select committee. The Good Thinking Society, a campaign group led by Singh, set up the annual Golden Duck award to recognise those "who have supported or practised pseudoscience in the most ludicrous, dangerous, irrational or irresponsible manner".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/23/struck-off-mmr-doctor-quackery-award

SilverbladeTE

The small minded, cowardly , stupid swine always love to stick the knife in someone's back especially when they are weak and unable to defend themselves...

Just waiting for the day when the entire medical profession is *destroyed*, burned down to the bedrock, only way it can be fixed is a total purge (ie, forcible disbanding of the BMA, criminal investigation of many senior MDs, murder sentences for pharma corps and any docs linked ot pushing their deadly drugs which they covered up the safety issues for, etc).

Firestormm

Rather brave to post this one wdb :)

Saw the news yesterday on LBRB: http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/20...ement-award-for-his-contribution-to-quackery/

'Quacky Christmas Andrew' We could have done without your legacy:

Adam Finn, professor of paediatrics at Bristol University, said that Wakefield's legacy was "many, many thousands of unimmunised children born over the last 15 years whose parents decided MMR was too risky at the time and subsequently have forgotten all about it. Measles rates are up and they will only decline when this accumulation of susceptibles has either had the vaccine or the disease."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/23/struck-off-mmr-doctor-quackery-award

Chris

I think I agree with SilverBlade that the whole profession will have to go--the only realistic chance I see is that it will self-destruct--the whole Western world is getting so totally crazy that something will have to give catastrophically--maybe the NRA's proposal to place armed police in every school will be the turning point, or maybe enough idiots will buy that the system will continue a while longer...who knows. In the meantime, Happy Holidays, and a better New Year to all. Chris

alex3619

I don't know that we need to destroy the medical profession .... but one section of my book, and a blog I have yet to post, is aimed at how to rebalance power structures involving the medical profession. There is no proper balance of power, they are substantially unaccountable, they are privileged under law, and by creating institutions like NICE the primary power structure that regulates them is a bureaucracy. We have to stop thinking of the medical profession as a rational scientific and entirely beneficent system ... thats the ideal but in this age they fall woefully short.

Similar arguments can be made about NICE, medical insurance, big pharma etc.

Our mechanisms for balancing power were made in another age, an age in which we believed in the primacy of reason, an age in which most of the issues and problems we are facing not only did not exist, but nobody even had the capacity to more than vaguely foreshadow the problems.

Seasons Greetings to All, Alex.