• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Working around a vitamin D intolerance

Whenever I take vitamin D it interferes with my sleep. I get weird muscle twitches (hypnic jerks?) like biting down, pulling faces, furiously shaking head as I am semi-conscious about to fall asleep combined with a sensation in my brain that wakes me back up.

I know years ago when I tried vitamin D and this happened; when I tried to stop triggered a noticeable increase in my fatigue and I'm not sure if I ever recovered. I can push through and eventually the effect lessens, but it seems unwise when I have no idea why it's happening.

Amongst other things I am taking: 25,000iu vitamin A, calcium and magnesium (1000mg/400mg in 3 tablets), and vitamin K2(MK4) 15mg x3. I was thinking of adding strontium too. I have read a few times that some of these should not be taken without vitamin D. I was hoping if anyone could comment if it is unsafe to be taking these without the D? Thanks.

Whenever I take vitamin D it interferes with my sleep. I get weird muscle twitches (hypnic jerks?) like biting down, pulling faces, furiously shaking head as I am semi-conscious about to fall asleep combined with a sensation in my brain that wakes me back up.

I know years ago when I tried vitamin D and this happened; when I tried to stop triggered a noticeable increase in my fatigue and I'm not sure if I ever recovered. I can push through and eventually the effect lessens, but it seems unwise when I have no idea why it's happening.

Amongst other things I am taking: 25,000iu vitamin A, calcium and magnesium (1000mg/400mg in 3 tablets), and vitamin K2(MK4) 15mg x3. I was thinking of adding strontium too. I have read a few times that some of these should not be taken without vitamin D. I was hoping if anyone could comment if it is unsafe to be taking these without the D? Thanks.

Hi,

for what it's worth I think you should lower your calcium supplement, can you tell me what kind of calcium and magnesim you are taking for example calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide if this is the case neither one of these forms of calcium and magnesium are digested very well in any case try lowering your calcium by 600 mg. or more you get more calcium in your diet than magnesium. Vitamin D requires magnesium to work properly and the calcium will interfere with the absorbsion of the magnesium. google dr. carolyn Dean she has studied magnesium for over 30 years.

let me know how this works out for you,
Good luck

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
If vitamin D makes your fatigue worse, you might like to consider ruling out an autoimmune disease - Lupus and Sarcoidosis are both made worse by Vitamin D and sunshine. How are you with sun? we dont get much here in the west of britain so i dont know how much it affects me.

all the best. Justy

I have taken a couple of days off the cal/mag/boron. Interestingly I have noticed a faster build up of plaque on my teeth without it. My main concern was reading that without adequate vitamin D the calcium could end up in arteries etc.

Hi,

for what it's worth I think you should lower your calcium supplement, can you tell me what kind of calcium and magnesim you are taking for example calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide if this is the case neither one of these forms of calcium and magnesium are digested very well in any case try lowering your calcium by 600 mg. or more you get more calcium in your diet than magnesium. Vitamin D requires magnesium to work properly and the calcium will interfere with the absorbsion of the magnesium. google dr. carolyn Dean she has studied magnesium for over 30 years.

let me know how this works out for you,
Good luck

I will try replacing it with better alternatives, but I was taking Solgar Calcium Magnesium plus Boron:
Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 3 Tablets

Amount Per Serving % DV
Calcium (as calcium carbonate, calcium gluconate, calcium citrate)
1000 mg​
100%
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, magnesium gluconate)
400 mg​
100%
Boron (as boron citrate)
3 mg​

If vitamin D makes your fatigue worse, you might like to consider ruling out an autoimmune disease - Lupus and Sarcoidosis are both made worse by Vitamin D and sunshine. How are you with sun? we dont get much here in the west of britain so i dont know how much it affects me.

all the best. Justy

Same here unfortunately, so not sure either. I am contemplating getting a sunlight bulb, but am slightly paranoid about mercury bulbs breaking now too! :rofl: