• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Similarities between ME/CFS patients and astronauts

ramakentesh

Reduced blood volume at least in POTS has been demonstrated to be associated in mahy with measurably reductions in aldosterone and elevations in angiotensin II. Kidney dopamine salt handling has also been implicated.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The only thing possibly causing this in astronauts is an impairment or malfunction somewhere in the HPA axis. Probably due to the lack of a diurnal cycle, weightlessness, possibly variations in oxygen.

Weightlessness/low gravity environments cause all sorts of weird and wonderful biological changes. To claim it is all down to the HPA axis is a BIG stretch.

For example, growth and development of bacteria and plants are changed in low-gravity environments is changed and they don't exactly have a HPA axis. ;)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11973847

peggy-sue

I had always been of the opinion that ME is caused by individuals being subject to mysteriously increased gravity.:nerd:

My personal gravity field is about 4 times stronger than that of somebody who isn't sick. :p

Helen

Reduced blood volume at least in POTS has been demonstrated to be associated in mahy with measurably reductions in aldosterone and elevations in angiotensin II. Kidney dopamine salt handling has also been implicated.

Could this be connected to the very common ACE-deletion, or mutations, seen in most people with ME/CFS?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar76dNWyEQLIdExKZUhfXzFUWHpkWnZObk1TM1dxX0E&hl=en#gid=0

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#ACE: Angiotensin Converting Enzyme

The ACE-deletion was so common among ME/CFS people, so Yasko exchanged the analyse of ACE in favour of another SNP. It is analysed in the 23andme test though not presented in the panel by www.GeneticGenie.org

alex3619

I had always been of the opinion that ME is caused by individuals being subject to mysteriously increased gravity.:nerd:

My personal gravity field is about 4 times stronger than that of somebody who isn't sick. :p

Micro black holes. That also explains psychobabble. They get too close too often and it drains their brains too. ;)

I studied space biochemistry a little back in 2001 or something, but I have forgotten it. Much of it has to do with stresses, including shear stress, on muscle and bones. The cells respond to stresses by maintaining structural integrity in the tissue. Things become weak without gravity. I don't recall much more, doh. Nerves do register stress, so it will impact on brain response.

Another topic of interest in extreme biochemistry is arctic explorer metabolism. Their metabolic rates skyrocket. They also consume fat and sugar at a massive rate. There might be some lessons there for us as well. This was also covered in my biochem lectures, and the other extreme one covered was sumo wrestlers. Super fat, super fit, no heart disease risk.

leokitten

Honestly I think it's obvious what is causing this in astronauts, sudden and severe physiological and psychological stress caused by space travel. Humans like other life on Earth are not evolved to be in space and this imposes a large stress burden on the body.

Is long-term or sudden severe stress a possible theory for what causes ME/CFS in certain people?

When i first got ill i was convinced of that. If i wasn't glued flat to a bed, i was glued to a floor. Resting my head on a table wasn't good enough as the gravity would keep pulling me to the lowest point in the room and once i was there it was like pulling against a strong magnet.
I used to say there was a black hole hiding under the house.... and every other house i've lived in since.
I'm guessing the nhs don't stretch to giving out anti-gravity suits :alien: