• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simplified Methylation Protocol Revised as of Today

I know that Dr Rick revised his protocol.

(I even printed it out but now can not find the printed page or dr rich's revision on here).

can someone point me to his new protocol where he suggest not to use the hydro drops but to use something that starts "P"

thank you

denise

Hi Guys,

I posted this on a different thread but I think this one might be better. Sorry to double post. It is copied below.

Hi,

I am not sure where exactly I should post this butI I ran the pathway panel and just got the results back. Do the results ever change how one would go about the protocol or was that pathway panel simply for my knowledge? I emailed Rich in August and I know he had felt strongly that I should have the pathway run and of course it does show the reduced glutathione etc but considering the cost of the test (and that I knew anyways that I obviously had the block based off everything), I was hoping it might be able to more individualized with the results...I am working with a physician on it as well and she is very interested in methylation research (she originally found my MTHFR A1298c mutation-heterozygous) but it is obviously all such new territory and so many differing opinions out there. Is there anyone that is still analyzing the results if I post them or has any experience with making certain tweaks based off individualized results? or do you just have the results for the sake of data and I should just start Rich's protocol.... I already planned on using methyl b12 instead of hydroxy because I was getting hyrdoxy shots for months and I was still deficient in B12 on a spectracell test which makes me feel like I need to use methyl instead....

My results are similar to this person here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/rich-my-methylation-pathways-panel-results.19246/ (in terms of what is high and low) and it seemed like she just went ahead with the Rich's standard methylation protocol...any feedback would be so greatly appreciated :)

Hi

From what i´ve read from Rich´s posts,he used the methylation test to :
1) see if theres a problem
2) if there is a problem,set up a baseline,so if you do the protocol,you can repeat the test in the future and compare the values,and see if theres an improvement.

As far as the individualized tweaks of the protocol,i dont really know.

AVA

S.O.S
Hi, I am brand new to this site. I have made a big mistake and need help with how best to help myself. I took Methyl-Cobalamin sub-lingual 1mg 2x's per day. I also took Fola Pro. I was muscle tested for the dosage of both. Based on that, I took 1 tablet of Fola Pro 2x's per day.
I took that dose for 2weeks before understanding what was causing the subtle negative changes.....which when became more defined.... I stopped. My peripheral neuropathy in leg was improved. But not worth what i am experiencing now.

Now I feel weird as hell, and stopped taking both the B12 & FolaPro......i am very concerned about what I am experiencing.
Eye lids -skin is dry and signs of mild swelling, eyes feel dry?
Palpitations / feel a little breathless?

Kinda itchy
Anxious

How long is this going to last? Am I in big trouble? I stopped supplementation of B12 & FolaPro, 3 days ago.

roxie60

Sorry to hear of your troubles Ava. Sad we all have to treat ourselves like lab rats just to try and find answers to get better and end up sometimes feeling worse. I cant say for sure in your case but I know at times I would back off taking supps and it took awhile (seem to have a slow metabolism) for symps to go away. Again, I would ck with your Dr to be sure you are not at risk.

roxie60

Took the Methylation Pathways test, anyone know if 5 Formyl THF is the same as 5 Methyl THF? I always see references to the latter but the Health Diagnositcs test reports on 5,10 Formyl THF. Wondering what the difference is?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
5 CH3 THF is 5 Methyl THF, I believe.

Do you have Rich's guide for interpreting this test? It is here on the site somewhere. You would do better searching this site with Google though. If you cannot find it, I have it saved on my computer and can repost it.

Sushi

Crux

S.O.S
Hi, I am brand new to this site. I have made a big mistake and need help with how best to help myself. I took Methyl-Cobalamin sub-lingual 1mg 2x's per day. I also took Fola Pro. I was muscle tested for the dosage of both. Based on that, I took 1 tablet of Fola Pro 2x's per day.
I took that dose for 2weeks before understanding what was causing the subtle negative changes.....which when became more defined.... I stopped. My peripheral neuropathy in leg was improved. But not worth what i am experiencing now.

Now I feel weird as hell, and stopped taking both the B12 & FolaPro......i am very concerned about what I am experiencing.
Eye lids -skin is dry and signs of mild swelling, eyes feel dry?
Palpitations / feel a little breathless?

Kinda itchy
Anxious

How long is this going to last? Am I in big trouble? I stopped supplementation of B12 & FolaPro, 3 days ago.

Hi Ava;
Many of the symptoms you are describing could be from lowered potassium : edema, dry eyes, heart palpitations( some types), breathlessness, ( some types), and even anxiety.

You may want to increase potassium intake, either with foods, drinks, or supplements.
I'm not sure how much folate is in folapro, but it seems that it may be too high for starters.
The good news is that the methylcobalamin is healing your peripheral neuropathy.
Some people do start with lower dosages of the B12, then increase slowly.
( But with neuropathy, my focus would be mainly on the methylcobalmin, and more potassium.)

I don't believe you are in trouble - I believe you are coming out of trouble.

roxie60

5 CH3 THF is 5 Methyl THF, I believe.

Do you have Rich's guide for interpreting this test? It is here on the site somewhere. You would do better searching this site with Google though. If you cannot find it, I have it saved on my computer and can repost it.

Sushi

I have it somewhere, found it,thanks Would never have put those two together 5 CH3 and 5 methyl, thanks.

Now I have re-read it my next ? is where are 5,10 formyl THF located on the Methylation Pathway?

AVA

Hi Ava;
Many of the symptoms you are describing could be from lowered potassium : edema, dry eyes, heart palpitations( some types), breathlessness, ( some types), and even anxiety.

You may want to increase potassium intake, either with foods, drinks, or supplements.
I'm not sure how much folate is in folapro, but it seems that it may be too high for starters.
The good news is that the methylcobalamin is healing your peripheral neuropathy.
Some people do start with lower dosages of the B12, then increase slowly.
( But with neuropathy, my focus would be mainly on the methylcobalmin, and more potassium.)

I don't believe you are in trouble - I believe you are coming out of trouble.

Thank you for ur swift kind response. I did spend several hrs combing thru postings for possible clues, hints of what to do. Your hunch appears to be correct.....I did get some Potassium Citrate. I took 99mg 3x's in 8 hour period. Seemed to help....continued today as well....by bedtime will be 4 -5x's of 99mg of Potassium Citrate. I would like to add that before posting my S.O.S, for 2.5 days I had taken Niacin 100mg cut into 1/4's.....dosed out in the day. Before finding this forum, I had read on Ben Lynch's website that Niacin would mop up the methyl-donors........unclear if that indeed occurred, as the relief only occured when adding the Potassium.
My start: 1st week I took (1) FolaPro 800 mcg per day & 1 mg Sub-lingual Methyl Cobalamin.......
the 2nd week after muscle testing I took FolaPro 2x's per day...
But, now I can see how swiftly the Status of appropriate Dosage changed. The skin of my eyelids became partially dry, then one lid partially swollen, pale pink, and area of inner tear ducts....felt pressure, ache, and expression of my eye altered by the strange swelling just below brows. Strange head pressure headache in the entire head. I looked weirder, & weirder by the day....Good Lord....along with the palpitations, breathlessness, anxiety, emotional state surging....I gather this confirms some sort of gene mutation......I am calmer now, eyes less ache & swelling, palpitations subsided, slept a bit better. Hope to return to full self within next 10 days..... I have been green juicing for months in addition to simple non processed diet. WOW, is the word. These bio-chemicals and our individual mutations are no joke. SLOW is crucial. Thank you again....from one guinea pig to another. Peripheral Neuropathy still holding improvement though stopped Methyl-cobalamin.

AVA

Sorry to hear of your troubles Ava. Sad we all have to treat ourselves like lab rats just to try and find answers to get better and end up sometimes feeling worse. I cant say for sure in your case but I know at times I would back off taking supps and it took awhile (seem to have a slow metabolism) for symps to go away. Again, I would ck with your Dr to be sure you are not at risk.
Thank you, Roxie60. I started taking Potassium Citrate.....that has begun to help Thank God. It appears to have dissolved a headache. I am developing a new headache this moment, so just took a 99mg capsule again, that is my 3rd today. Cautious and slow seems the best way to go.....and maintain rather than pushing so called forward. Merry Christmas.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
AVA

I'd guess that you were taking way too much FoloPro--looks like you were taking 1.6 mgs. I think Rich was recommending about 210 mcgs. I could never get above about 1/2 a FoloPro when I was doing the protocol. Low and slow seems to be the motto for most of us.

I am wanting to follow how you are doing but I am having trouble reading the small type. Would you mind increasing the font size? Thanks.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I agree with cautions and slow, however 99 mg is piddling amount of potassium. It is 3% of daily value for a person who is not suffering a deficiency. I am not doing the methylation treatment, but have low potassium and I take potassium chloride capsules three at a time. If you are still feeling unwell, you might want to slowly increase the amount of potassium that you are taking - either more pills at a time or more frequent pills.

I think, but am not sure, that potassium chloride will get into your system more quickly than potassium citrate. The salt substitute you buy at the grocery store is potassium chloride. If you do not dilute it in enough water, it will do nasty things to your digestive system. I used to put 1/4 tsp. in a cup (8 oz.) of water and did not notice any problem. I now use just 1/8 tsp. to be ultra careful.

Crux

Hi Ava;
I agree that 1600 mcg., or 1.6 mg. of folate could cause these side effects. Some of it is from the increased need for potassium, but I think that mostly, it's because the dosage is too high. The headache is an indicator. ( I had the same issue recently. I've stopped folate for 6 days now, and I still have a headache, though it's milder now.)

I think that folate, in excess, can become pro-inflammatory, so it's one to be monitored carefully. ( I'm going to repeat this to myself, because I seem to make this mistake often.)

From reading on Dr. Lynch's site, I see that he cautions people about the dosages, and that even with genetic mutations, many people won't need such high dosages of folate.

I have found this to be a humbling, and painful lesson.

caledonia

Hi All,

I want to start the simplified protocol created by Dr Rich Van K but, I have some questions about the following supplements that I purchased...

Jarrow's Methyl-B12 5000mcg,
Solgar's MetaFolin 400mcg,
Folinic Acid 800mcg (I will cut 1/4 of the tablet so do not worry about that),
Lecithin Granules,

Do I also need to purchase the Neurological Health Formula? If possible, I would rather not due to expenses :(

Farouk.

The Neurological Health formula has TMG to stimulate the back door methylation reaction and a few other things that are also helpful.

caledonia

Do you know if Rich talked about a maintenance dose of his protocol after methilation is restored ?
What is your experience about this ?
Thanks a lot

Daniele

I have seen people who mention that Rich has talked about this, but can't find it with some quick searching. In theory, once methylation is restored, it will run by itself with no help. However, due to the SNPs that got you in trouble in the first place, some supplementation for preventive purposes is probably wise.

AVA

Hi Ava;
I agree that 1600 mcg., or 1.6 mg. of folate could cause these side effects. Some of it is from the increased need for potassium, but I think that mostly, it's because the dosage is too high. The headache is an indicator. ( I had the same issue recently. I've stopped folate for 6 days now, and I still have a headache, though it's milder now.)

I think that folate, in excess, can become pro-inflammatory, so it's one to be monitored carefully. ( I'm going to repeat this to myself, because I seem to make this mistake often.)

From reading on Dr. Lynch's site, I see that he cautions people about the dosages, and that even with genetic mutations, many people won't need such high dosages of folate.

I have found this to be a humbling, and painful lesson.

I do agree that the FolaPro was ridiculously high...I am officially baptized as a fool & rookie. Right out of the gate,... I am humbled. I am increasing the intake of Potassium. I took (2) 99mg upon arising and another (2) two ours later..... because after taking a 25mg of Niacin it seems to bring on the headache. I will quit the Niacin as it appears to worsen my condition. My Eyes have opened up some more, the drooping and swelling has decreased, and expression appears to have improved. I did sleep much better too, awoke better as well. The headache appears to want to peak through.....so that is my cue to take the potassium again. Though I am now as stated above, increased to (2) Caps of 99mg per dosing.