• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benzos

AFCFS

So, that means Vitamin C is useful for chromium absorption,but the increased level should not reach toxicity. Too complicate to implement in real life!

I've seen so many multivitamin softgels with Chromium Picolinate. I guess many users of those will also be taking Vitamin C, but will be unaware of this.
I am now rethinking this. This article seems convincing that Vitamin C is fine in mega dose: Could Vitamin C be Dangerous? (summary/conclusion shown here):
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin C is currently 60 mg/day. This represents the minimum dose of vitamin C that will prevent scurvy, and has nothing to do with optimal health. Since needs for vitamin C increase greatly with stressors including infection, smoking, or chemical exposures, it is reasonable to assume that deficiencies can exist at doses much higher than 60 mg/day. I recommend taking vitamin C to bowel tolerance (the amount of vitamin C that an individual can take without causing diarrhea) which is usually from 500 to 8,000 mg per day in divided doses, and possibly more in times of stress or illness.

It is common for scientists and practitioners alike to find that results that occur in test tubes often do not occur in the real lives of people outside the laboratory. The test tube just isn’t a good model to approximate the wisdom and complexity of a human body. Vitamin C has in fact proven safe and effective during years of clinical use.
Just a side note - same article - thought it was amazing that: If your dog cut its paw and developed an infection, it would manufacture around 10,000 mg of vitamin C per day to fight the infection. Fido can, you can’t.

AFCFS

I think the survey results are quasi-interesting. I wonder what would happen if Klonopin was replaced by opium, which used to be the cure-all found in tonics (and opium dens) in years past. If it works it works; and if given a potentially terminal disease, aside from living life itself, why not look for comfort. I am six days off the Klonopin, after a 66 day slow taper, after many years of use. I was tired of it, and did not want to carry an attachment to it, perhaps in similar respects to Mrs. Dubose, the old morphine addict who removed herself from the clutches of addiction, in To Kill A Mockingbird:

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs. Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I ever knew.”

All I am saying is it may be prudent for one to think twice, before reading a survey and thinking a new med may be of interest. When I initially went on it for terrible anxiety and need of sleep, the doctor could have offered me cyanide to cure the pain and get some shuteye, and not knowing better, likely would have taken it. Klonopin just takes longer to work. Coming off of it, I have found magnesium to work well, though it may take a bit longer. For sleep, I have also used melatonin, l-tryptophan, and GABA.

Aside from good warning as to why one should consider being on it, it is also good warning for those going off it and having problems and researching the net high and low for supportive rationale as to why they may "need" it after all. That is for each to decide, but may want to consider taper strategy first.

What should be the criterion? : I say, if you have ever seriously considered suicide as a result of your ME/CFS pain and symptoms, then you should probably go ahead and try narcotic medications. If you feel like each passing day is just another burden to be born, with no hope of peace or sleep. Or you still have daily work, obligations, and you feel sicker and sicker each morning. I think these are the kind of sentiments doctors hear in their offices everyday, which is why they continue to dispense these drugs despite the controversy. In the end, there are no prizes given at the pearly gates for clean living. We all shuffle off this mortal coil in the end.

AFCFS

In the end, there are no prizes given at the pearly gates for clean living. We all shuffle off this mortal coil in the end.
True, but what if one takes to a more Buddhist persuasion and, failing to gain Nirvana in this life, ends up doping oneself with bad karma (in that case, in view of present conditions, we might of all have had generated some really suck *ss karma in lives past, seeding that wheel of suffering forward). Not pretending to know the intricacies of karma, I suppose one might have to weigh the volition of being drug-infused with the extrapolated and contrived notion of ending up in a bell tower after becoming indigent and to find the pain meds no longer available. Suppose the same situation could be used as a case study in Christianity as well as a host of philosophical pursuits.