• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DSM-V approved by APA, to the disapprobation of everybody

alex3619

There are different ways to deal with DSM-V. Boycott is one, which can be done by doctors, institutions and patients. Incisive rational analysis is another. I would like to see more medical researchers and doctors commenting. The other way is political, including satire. This pretend "Bible" makes a mockery of medicine and science ... so lets mock it. "The Madman's Guide to Getting it Wrong" comes to mind. How about others?

I doubt it can be fixed. I think they are too far into the process to make major revisions, but I could be wrong. If it can't be fixed then it has to be scrapped.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
"Boycott" may be too strong a word -I can see a scenario in which at least some institutions decide they are better off sticking with the DSM-IV and simply not adopting V because it's "too controversial". They've got a LOT more people still very vocally upset with them than just our little community, or the larger community affected by "poorly understood/contested" diseases. Consider just this one fact - they've got the autism parents absolutely furious with them. This is not a group you want to p*ss off. (I'm not talking about the anti-vaxxer minority, but the mainstream of parents, whose ox will be gored very badly if their children lose access to educational services because of the diagnosis changes in V.)

However there will be trouble if the diagnosis coding in V is officially adopted by government agencies because there will be so many situations where, even if the clinician thinks a V diagnosis is totally bogus, he or she might still have to write down that diagnosis or their patient won't get benefits, or they won't get reimbursed for providing care.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
...However there will be trouble if the diagnosis coding in V is officially adopted by government agencies because there will be so many situations where, even if the clinician thinks a V diagnosis is totally bogus, he or she might still have to write down that diagnosis or their patient won't get benefits, or they won't get reimbursed for providing care.

For reimbursement purposes, DSM codes are crosswalked to ICD codes. Since 2003, ICD-9-CM diagnostic codes have been mandated for third-party billing and reporting by HIPAA for all electronic transactions for billing and reimbursement.

http://www.apapracticecentral.org/update/2012/02-09/transition.aspx

http://www.psychiatry.org/practice/dsm/dsm-frequently-asked-questions

DSM: Frequently Asked Questions
What is DSM and what is it used for?