• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great News - 23andme is only $99!

Anteah

It is a new price and not a sale! Finally the genetic testing has become affordable!

Their Facebook Post:

"We have some great news that we’re excited to share with our fans - starting today, 23andMe is just $99! The new price still includes the complete set of both health and ancestry results, and continues to be subscription-free.

Your 23andMe results can empower you to make informed health decisions and learn more about your ancestry. We hope this new price will enable your family and friends to enjoy the same discoveries.

Happy Holidays,
The 23andMe Team

*For customers who purchased a kit on or after November 26, we will be processing automatic refunds for the difference in price (less shipping and handling). You don’t need to do anything to claim this refund - eligible customers will be receiving emails directly from us with additional information."

arx

How much was it for before,@madietodd?
Where all do they ship the kit? I read it somewhere on their website but can't seem to find the page now. If you know,do share. I'm wondering if they ship to India or not. Last I remember, they don't.

maddietod

I don't remember how much I paid, but I'm in the US and I think shipping was included (?)

I tried to figure out if they ship to India, but couldn't find that information. I guess you'd have to pretend you're buying a kit, and see what happens when you get to the address fields.

They come right up when I google '23andme'

Anteah

Cool!
Have you got tested, Anteah?

Arx, yes I have but thankfully recently enough to qualify for a discount/refund! This drop in price also makes me happy because now more of CFS people can test and hopefully soon enough we can collect a strong enough sample to look for patterns in our mutations. I'm excited about that! Also now all my family members can be tested, and I have some CFS symptoms spread all across my family tree.

arx

Anteah
Yeah,that seems quite interesting if patterns can be found.I've only read info about MTHFR. Seems to me that is the only popular mutation..
What were your mutations,if I may ask?

madietodd
Thanks. I did search and found the page. It's here:
https://customercare.23andme.com/entries/21262316-do-you-take-international-orders
They don't ship to India. Also not to China also. They're leaving out a LARGE portion of the world's population!
I read on some forum that it has something to do with India's laws about DNA samples. Damn this government.

Anyways,
Good luck to you guys. I hope all of you are helped by this test.

Anteah

Anteah
Yeah,that seems quite interesting if patterns can be found.I've only read info about MTHFR. Seems to me that is the only popular mutation..
What were your mutations,if I may ask?

madietodd
Thanks. I did search and found the page. It's here:
https://customercare.23andme.com/entries/21262316-do-you-take-international-orders
They don't ship to India. Also not to China also. They're leaving out a LARGE portion of the world's population!
I read on some forum that it has something to do with India's laws about DNA samples. Damn this government.

Anyways,
Good luck to you guys. I hope all of you are helped by this test.

Arx, I am still waiting for my results, but as soon as I know Ill post my mutations as my signature.

It's not cool that people in India can not get their genetic results! Wonder if there is a way around that..

*GG*

Arx, yes I have but thankfully recently enough to qualify for a discount/refund! This drop in price also makes me happy because now more of CFS people can test and hopefully soon enough we can collect a strong enough sample to look for patterns in our mutations. I'm excited about that! Also now all my family members can be tested, and I have some CFS symptoms spread all across my family tree.

Of what value is this test? Do you need a specific Dr to do something with the results?

GG

Sea

Anyone know how this test compares to the Holistic Health Methylation panel (the one that Yasko uses) for useful information? They've both been so out of my price range I stopped looking into it, but this looks good. 23and Me is $74 shipping on top for Australia, that's not too unrealistic.

Anteah

Arx, thanks! I feel you though, I hope something changes soon. It is not fair to you guys to withhold something like that from you.

Ggingues, some of us see it as an answer to what is wrong with us. This test is able to identify what SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms = mutations) we have that make us susceptible to stress (environmental, or otherwise) that eventually causes severe deficiencies and breakdown of our resources, leading to illness. Many people do their own research. Some use Dr. Amy Yasko. Dr. Ben Linch used to give consultations, but has recently stopped and moved on to research and advocacy. A member here, Greenshots, has someone she is using that is apparently well versed in all things SNP. I am sure there are others.

Sea, yes it can be "translated" into Yasko's format. There is a spreadsheet that helps you do it that can be found on the forum, or you can use something that a member of this forum Kday created http://geneticgenie.org/ that is going to it for you automatically and for free. Check it out, it's pretty awesome!

arx

Anteah
Thanks for your concern. I also hope things change soon.

ggingues
Anteah has explained it very well. You can read more on the 23andme website, and also on Yasko's website. I have a pdf called 'A Guide To Nutrigenomic Testing' by Yasko. I downloaded it in order to understand the various polymorphisms relating to the methylation cycle.I'll share it here.Do check it out.

I found a diagram in the file pretty interesting..this one:

14wsw2e.png

Attachments

• guide-to-nutrigenomic-testing.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Did 23andme lower the shipping price or not? Who ordered here to EU since 26th of november? I wanted to order one for my mom,but not going to with the ridiculous 90$ shipping price as I have serious thyoid,adrenal and other tests to order because of dying and need to spare cash. o_O