• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where to buy CBS+ supps other than Yasko?

caledonia

I'm looking for activated charcoal, yucca, molybdenum, boron, l-carnitine fumarate and vitamin E succinate.
Some of these are out of stock at Holistic Heal.

Can anyone recommend a good brand and where to buy them? I would prefer to be able to get them all from one place to minimize shipping charges.

arx

Hi caledonia,

Search on www.iherb.com. I think you will get everything here,once you decide which brands to buy. I can just tell about carnitine.
Freddd recommends the Doctor's Best Brand for L-Carnitine Fumarate. There is also a Jarrow Liquid Carnitine(which he recommends for micro titration). I take the Doctor's Best Acetyl-L-Carnitine. I think it is an excellent brand,as I have been facing an extremely intense startup. It's funny how I judge a brand by the intense negative startup effects it has on me. I guess that's the way to go for deficient folks like me, hypersensitivity decides the potency of a particular brand.

LCF:
http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-L-Carnitine-Fumarate-855-mg-60-Veggie-Caps/29

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-L-Carnitine-Fumarate-855-mg-180-Veggie-Caps/4939

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Why??? I do not take charcoal or yucca and I have two CBS +/+. This is what I did. I figured out what to eat to be sure I ate exactly 80g of protein in one day and then I went and got a blood test for ammonia levels (www.directlabs.com). My ammonia was in range so I know I can eat 80g of protein a day without issue (which is ALL you are supposed to eat - in other words it is not healthy to eat more protein than that). I know for a fact that I get low blood sugar constantly on an Atkins (high protein) diet, so I don't have to measure ammonia to know there is a limit to the protein I can intake. But no healthy amount of protein intake requires charcoal or yucca.

Test yourself before you take supplements like that. Charcoal is cancer causing. Yucca abraids your intestinal tract. Is that what you want to take every day???

freshveggies

Why??? I do not take charcoal or yucca and I have two CBS +/+. This is what I did. I figured out what to eat to be sure I ate exactly 80g of protein in one day and then I went and got a blood test for ammonia levels (www.directlabs.com). My ammonia was in range so I know I can eat 80g of protein a day without issue (which is ALL you are supposed to eat - in other words it is not healthy to eat more protein than that). I know for a fact that I get low blood sugar constantly on an Atkins (high protein) diet, so I don't have to measure ammonia to know there is a limit to the protein I can intake. But no healthy amount of protein intake requires charcoal or yucca.

Test yourself before you take supplements like that. Charcoal is cancer causing. Yucca abraids your intestinal tract. Is that what you want to take every day???

I don't have a labcorp. What is the name of the test. I would like to see if I can get it from Quest.

I thought one reason to go low protein was the sulfites?

Thank you.

caledonia

Directlabs is not Labcorp. Directlabs is an online lab where you can order tests without a doctor. The only hitch would be where to get the blood drawn if a Quest type lab won't send it to them. I found an independent blood drawing lab in my area that will do that. It costs like $30.

Aileen

Just got my results back this week and am trying to figure out what I am supposed to do. I have 2 first priority mutations (according to Yasko) SHMT +/- and CBS C699T +/+ , CBS A360A +/-

I've decided that some biochemical testing is in order and thought I had decided on either Genova's NutrEval or Metametrix's ION panel. BUT... then I looked at the instructions. There is no way that I can get a local lab (Ontario) to do that!!! So, it is back to the urine tests from Doctor's Data and Genova that Yasko uses, I think. Not sure whether to do the methylation panel too or wait on that.

In the meantime, I am now on a gluten free/casein free diet. But what else am I supposed to be doing given these first priority mutations? I don't want to try yucca or charcoal unless lab tests for ammonia etc indicate a need. I have done a Complete GI Stool analysis and taken an Intestinal Permeability Test and those indicate that my gut is in fairly decent shape except for gluten sensitivity.

molybdenum, boron, l-carnitine fumarate and vitamin E succinate.
What are these supposed to do? I have tried l-carnitine in the past and not tolerated it at all. I have MCS am sensitive to most stuff including supplements, so want to use the minimum number of supplements possible.

caledonia

The supps, along with diet, are supposed to lower the level of sulfur and ammonia and also help the transulfuration pathway operate better. The transulfuration pathway is where glutathione gets made, so it's extremely important to get this working right.

When you have the CBS mutation, you may run into a situation known as the CBS drain. CBS is an upregulation, so that makes everything run faster than the transulfuration pathway can handle it, especially if it's loaded with sulfur and ammonia. SUOX is the SNP that controls that. If you're SUOX+ that will make the situation even worse.

What happens physically is that methyl B12 and/or hB12 will cause excitotoxicity (nervous, anxious, stressed, wired feeling). I have this problem with only one CBS mutation on C699T. My SUOX status is unknown. I have problems tolerating even 1mcg of mB12, even though my SNPs say I need huge amounts and I'm obviously deficient by physical signs and symptoms.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I think maybe the other defect, not CBS, is more sensitive to methyls. My two CBS +/+ mutations are totally manageable with DHEA and I have no sensitivity to sulfur. I believe it is the CBS mutations that cause diabetes / blood sugar issues and I get them if I lower or skip my DHEA dose (diabetes runs in my family).

The test is called "Serum ammonia" and you can also get it as a special order from Life Extension. I am getting this test frequently for my father , who is in end stage renal disease. But freshveggies is correct - directlabs and lef use labcorp. You could call www.lef.org to find out if indeed there is no labcorp near you. It may be you just don;t know where it is? The reasons for testing it in yourself include that if you have some degree of kidney disease you may not be able to excrete ammonia for that reason (but remember, for people with our genes, it will LOOK to standard dctors like we HAVE kidney/liver disease if we can't excrete ammonia), and the other reason is that science is not there yet to know the effect of multiple combinations of genes upon each other (so for instance if you have those AHCY defects as well, how does that work in combination with CBS??)