• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If nothing does, Quantum Computing Will Cure CFS

Seems the "Alpha and Beta internal ionization radiation" already took its toll on you. If you want to spam your weird theories, do it in your own thread and stop quoting a huge post when you have nothing to say about it. Thanks.

"Sincerely and always the truth" :rolleyes:
Nothing spam about cause, science will be out in spring 2013 proving without doubts I am right, it's radiation injury...

Waverunner

In a very interesting interview with Hugo De Garis on singularity weblog, he says, that we already reached the point where super computers have as much computational power (in bits per second) as the human brain:

• The human brain has about 100 billion neurons
  • Each neuron has about 10 000 connections
  • Each synapse (a connection between neurons) has a processing power of about 10 bits per second
This sums up to 10^16 bits per second and is equal to the computational power of latest super computers. Moore's Law will at least continue for one more decade and chances are good, that it will continue to be valid afterwards. This has relevance for the understanding of disease and will be a requirement for optimal Computer Aided Diagnosis (CADs). It is my big hope, that this will lay the ground for understanding and curing CFS.

The fastest computer at the moment is Titan Super Computer:

taniaaust1

Unfortunately computers are only as good as the data put in them no matter how powerful and fast they are. Till more is known about ME, I doubt whether they can help much.

Waverunner

Unfortunately computers are only as good as the data put in them no matter how powerful and fast they are. Till more is known about ME, I doubt whether they can help much.

Yes, that is true. In order to create AI, we would have to solve two problems:

1. Hardware
  2. Software/Operating system
The first requirement has been solved this October. For the second problem, neuro-scientists and neuro-engineers will have to meet and work together, when the needed information is available. De Garis says, that the understanding of the human brain at the end of this decade, could be complete. We are making big advances through latest imaging procedures.

How is this relevant for CFS? Funding for CFS is bad and despite what other people may say, it will not get better soon. It is more likely that CFS benefits from research for other illnesses. It could also be the case, that CFS cannot be solved because we still lack the proper diagnostic means for its cause. Moore's Law leads to decreasing prices for computers. Faster but cheaper computers, as well as nano-technology will make diagnostics more effective, more specific, as well as faster and cheaper. This is something we can all profit from. What has been achieved in the CFS field in the past? In my eyes, nothing. There is not one single treatment and not one single validated laboratory diagnostic test. Hopefully this will change with the advances in medicine.

Waverunner

Step by step.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/12/21/3657740.htm

Scientists have reached a milestone in the search for proof that quantum computers are really necessary.
Dr Matthew Broome, of the University of Queensland, and colleagues, report their findings today in the journalScience.

"We've built small scale quantum computers but none of them to date have been able to outperform the standard classical computer," says Broome.
Broome and colleagues built a simple quantum computer, called a boson sampling computer, especially designed to solve the boson sampling problem.
While boson sampling computers are only simple quantum computers, scientists like Broome hope they will also be capable of solving other problems that are beyond the realm of even the best world's supercomputer.

adreno

PR activist
How is this relevant for CFS? Funding for CFS is bad and despite what other people may say, it will not get better soon. It is more likely that CFS benefits from research for other illnesses. It could also be the case, that CFS cannot be solved because we still lack the proper diagnostic means for its cause. Moore's Law leads to decreasing prices for computers. Faster but cheaper computers, as well as nano-technology will make diagnostics more effective, more specific, as well as faster and cheaper. This is something we can all profit from. What has been achieved in the CFS field in the past? In my eyes, nothing. There is not one single treatment and not one single validated laboratory diagnostic test. Hopefully this will change with the advances in medicine.

This is true. It is not ME/CFS specific research that will eventually cure ME/CFS. It's basic research in many other fields. Research in neuroscience, endocrinology and immunology is all relevant to ME/CFS. For such a complex illness, we need a very clear understanding of the underlying biology, and we just don't have that yet. Once we reach this understanding, we can much more easily speculate and simulate scenarios of the biology going wrong. Both supercomputing and evolving of diagnostics (imaging) is required for this to happen. But everything will be sorted, no doubt. The argument that human biology is too complex to ever be understood is simply luddite in my view.

Waverunner

Adreno, I fully agree. We only need some more time. The problem is, I don't know if others and I have this time. But things are moving forwards, that's for sure.