• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurotransmitter testing

Nielk

Has anyone had experience with the company called Neurogistics and their Neurotransmitters
tests?

Nielk

This is a urine test for neurotransmiters in the body. I don't have good information as to how accurate these tests are and was hoping that someone can give me some advice.

Ema

I've messed about with neurotransmitter testing since 2010 but have not had any through the company you mention.

I did several tests and took lots of expensive supplements through the Neuroscience program and essentially concluded that it was not useful for me.

I then heard a podcast on a new way to measure neurotransmitter levels and got interested again. It is based on the work of Marty Hinz. So I started that program about 2 months ago and am cautiously optimistic still.

Here is the podcast if you are interested in hearing about how this testing is different than traditional NT testing:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/underg...he-brain-with-mind-mapping-w-dr-daniel-kalish

Ema

This is a urine test for neurotransmiters in the body. I don't have good information as to how accurate these tests are and was hoping that someone can give me some advice.

I'm not horribly fond of the idea of testing neurotransmitters (or much of anything) in urine. It shows how much you're losing, but not what your levels are.

Most neurotransmitters can also be tested in blood. Serum levels can show a snapshot of what your levels are at any given moment, and blood platelet levels can show your long-term levels over the past three months.

So I suppose it depends on what you want to know, to some extent.

I've had both blood platelet and urine tests for catecholamines and histamine, 8 months apart:

Code:
NEUROTRANSMITTER    PLATELET        URINE
Epinephrine         High normal     Low normal
Norepinephrine      Low             Low
Dopamine            Low normal      High normal
Serotonin           Low             Lowish Normal
Histamine           Lowish Normal   Normal

So definitely different results from testing different ways.

Nielk

Thank you Emma and Valentijn.

An alternative health professional has been pushing me to get this testing done. It is pretty easy to do. I have the kit at home and the $200 for the test is relatively cheap compared to everything else that I have done but, I guess it would have to be followed up with recommended ammino acids to take and if this is not a reliable way to test than where does that leave me?

What you said Valentijn that the urine tests for what is leaving the body makes sense but then again, isn't that the way they test for cortisone levels?

I wish I would hear from others that this has worked for them before I try....another new thing.

Thanks for your replies.

Ema

Ema

What you said Valentijn that the urine tests for what is leaving the body makes sense but then again, isn't that the way they test for cortisone levels?

A saliva test is the best way to test for cortisol levels. A urinary cortisol test is really only any good for catching high cortisol. It doesn't tell much about low or "normal" levels.

With the Hinz testing, you take the starting dose of amino acid precursors for 7 days and then do the first test. It tells what phase each NT is in and the dose is adjusted. Then 7 more days and another test etc until all NTs are in the "optimal" phase. He maintains that baseline testing is useless.

Ema

Nielk

Thank you AFCFS and Ema.

After reading these articles, I really don't feel comfortable to go ahead with this testing.

I appreciate your help,
Nielk