• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Back from my trip to see Dr Kogelnik

RUkiddingME

For those of you interested in my lab results, I attach them. Not quite sure what to make of them yet, and to answer barbc56 as well, I am due a Skype/phone follow up with Dr K.
Thanks for sharing those results and sharing your experience!! I'm from Canada and contemplating a trip to see Dr. K. Wow $2000 seems pricey for that amount of bloodwork. Can you tell us the cost of the initial consult and follow up skype consults? It's painful without insurance isn't it! lol I can't wait to hear how your skype interview goes and the follow up long distance treatment in general goes. Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about your experience. Thanks! :)

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The HHV-6 Foundation and Dr. Montoya (and others) would not consider that HHV-6 (if that is what the first sample is) do not consider that high of elevated IgG to be be a "Past Infection", but that is more than likely a preset in the lab reporting system. I see the reason for his AV treatment scenario

Wishing the best in your health and your decisions in treatment.

cfsme23

Dr K really knows his stuff and so I would certainly recommend him RUkiddingME - the initial consultation was around about £300, I don't know what exactly that is in dollars, and Dr K was kind enough to do the Skype follow up as part of that initial fee. As I said on another thread I will be waiting until 2013 to kick off treatment in earnest, just trying to sort out the joys of finances, you know how it is :)

RUkiddingME

Dr K really knows his stuff and so I would certainly recommend him RUkiddingME - the initial consultation was around about £300, I don't know what exactly that is in dollars, and Dr K was kind enough to do the Skype follow up as part of that initial fee. As I said on another thread I will be waiting until 2013 to kick off treatment in earnest, just trying to sort out the joys of finances, you know how it is :)
Thanks Scavo and looking forward to following your posts in 2013! Good luck :)

Looking at your labs, seems like antivirals at least for HSV 1 is a good idea. And your NK cell function is very low, like mine! Was Imunovir suggested--does Dr. K use it?

I too started it all off after glandular fever/mono. Now have EBV, HHV-6 high and low NK cell function (4). maybe lyme as well.

Curious about Rituxan-- this was offered just because yours started with glandular fever?
that was not mentioned for me...(just AVs and immunovir)

Best of luck with choosing and treatment-
Htree

cfsme23

I am going to go with the Valcyte HTree - but not having it until 2014 likely, as I am trying to save up in the meantime. I don't know about the Rituxan, but it kind of seems to have gone a little quiet on that front and I think an AV would be a better bet as a first line treatment. I believe I was offered it, not just because I had mine triggered by GF, but because I am relatively young (26) and don't mind the risk associated with it.

I don't know if Dr K uses imunovir, but it wasn't mentioned at all, so my gut reaction would be no.

Do you see Dr K?

AFCFS

You would have to get a 3 year degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school, before you can take the bar exam. No idea why, since law school in the US is almost completely irrelevant to the practice of law :p But that's going to run $30,000-$50,000 per year just for tuition.
I was thinking about going to law school a while before I got sick. Aside from the cost, and the correct statement about "law school in the US is almost completely irrelevant to the practice of law," I also got the idea that the job market looked less than promising. I recall reading something to the effect that "most restaurants in Los Angeles and New York prefer their waiters to have a JD."

I am going to go with the Valcyte HTree - but not having it until 2014 likely, as I am trying to save up in the meantime. I don't know about the Rituxan, but it kind of seems to have gone a little quiet on that front and I think an AV would be a better bet as a first line treatment. I believe I was offered it, not just because I had mine triggered by GF, but because I am relatively young (26) and don't mind the risk associated with it.

I don't know if Dr K uses imunovir, but it wasn't mentioned at all, so my gut reaction would be no.

Do you see Dr K?

Hi Scavo86 , interesting, I'm 31...but that option was never menitioned (i've been sick a long time though, though to a lesser degree than the last 2 years).. Now at 3 on the scales. Anyway, I see the other Dr. K/her partner in Florida :)
Good luck with Valcyte!! make sure you do the liver panels etc regularly..