• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart monitor advice needed.

I have decided to wear a heart monitor so that I can keep my heart beat low, using it to monitor my exercise, hopefully stopping PEM relapses. So far the ones I've seen only go as low as 80, but I need one that goes lower as I'm usually in the low 70's. Has anyone found one that will work for me?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have decided to wear a heart monitor so that I can keep my heart beat low, using it to monitor my exercise, hopefully stopping PEM relapses. So far the ones I've seen only go as low as 80, but I need one that goes lower as I'm usually in the low 70's. Has anyone found one that will work for me?

Hi Frankie,

I'm not sure what you mean...the heart rate monitors I have used (several brands) just directly measure what ever my heart rate is--whether it is 55 or 120. I think one of the things to look for when shopping is one that allows you to change the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap--yourself. Otherwise it can be expensive sending them back to the company to be changed. Polar is a good brand but you can't change the batteries yourself.

Best wishes,
Sushi

waiting

Hi Frankie,

I'm not sure what you mean...the heart rate monitors I have used (several brands) just directly measure what ever my heart rate is--whether it is 55 or 120. I think one of the things to look for when shopping is one that allows you to change the batteries in both the watch and the chest strap--yourself. Otherwise it can be expensive sending them back to the company to be changed. Polar is a good brand but you can't change the batteries yourself.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Sushi, Could it be that you had to send in prior Polar models to have the batteries changed? I have a Polar FT7 and I can change both batteries myself (purchased in 2011).

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sushi, Could it be that you had to send in prior Polar models to have the batteries changed? I have a Polar FT7 and I can change both batteries myself (purchased in 2011).

That is a big improvement. I have had two Polar models and both had totally sealed batteries in the chest strap and warnings not to try to change the battery in the watch. I changed the battery in the watch but don't think it is water proof any more. I have been using a Sigma Sport model mostly and it is easy to change both batteries on it.

Sushi

Hello 'waiting', the Polar ones i saw in a shop said they had to be sent away for changing, maybe New Zealand is behind in its available watches. Also does the Polar FT7 have a range down to 55? the polar ones i saw, with a hopeless shop assistant, started at 80 she said. I came away more confused than ever!
Hello "sushi" is the sigma sport good? does it go down to low pulse rates too?
Thank you both for your answers.

waiting

Hello 'waiting', the Polar ones i saw in a shop said they had to be sent away for changing, maybe New Zealand is behind in its available watches. Also does the Polar FT7 have a range down to 55? the polar ones i saw, with a hopeless shop assistant, started at 80 she said. I came away more confused than ever!
Hello "sushi" is the sigma sport good? does it go down to low pulse rates too?
Thank you both for your answers.

Hi Frankie Dene,
The user manual for mine (and all the other Polar models) is available online here:
http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT7/Polar_FT7_user_manual_English/ch06.html

You can see under the Technical Specifications that the HR reads from 15 to 240 BPM and under the Changing Batteries section, it specifically states that both batteries are user changeable.

I haven't checked the other models, but at least you can check out the manuals for those as well before expending the energy to go to a store. You might also try calling the company to ask for advice, although we are using the monitors for a completely different purpose than what they were intended.With the FT7 you have to play around with the settings a little to get it to beep at your HR at AT. Then, a bonus is that at the end of the day when you stop recording, you can see how long you spent over your AT as we'll as your average HR.

Good luck in your search. It'll be worth it.