• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mild concussion, major crash, help!

maddietod

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is a member, but is suddenly in a major crash. Her baseline is housebound, gets out once a week or two to doctor appointments, and very occasionally to small social events with close friends.

She was hit in the head by a falling coffeepot, felt sort-of normal except for pressure in her head, and finally went to the ER (CAT scan and MRI) 2 days ago. They said it was a "mild concussion" - according to her husband because they didn't know what else to call it.

She is now bedbound, hardly talking, more sound and light sensitive than usual, and still complaining of this feeling of pressure. She has an appointment with a neurologist on Tuesday.

Her husband would like to know if anybody here has experience with a mild concussion causing a feeling of pressure, and what that might be about. Also, I'm sure the ER experience was grueling for her, but normally that wouldn't have sent her to bed like this.

Thanks,

Madie

Edit: From her husband:

One point of clarification is that she had a major relapse of the concussion symptoms after trying to start some activities. So the crash is not the normal CFS crash, but emergence of severe brain function difficulties – her brain is in total lock-down and is just not working. Thinking and talking are very difficult. So the question for the forum is, has anyone had experience with a relapse of concussion symptoms after they started to recover (from concussion), and what did they do or take to help them recover?

xchocoholic

Hi madie,

I'm not sure how much help this will be but I had 3 minor concussions 20 + years ago. All I remember about them was feeling out of it mentally. I'd compare it to being drunk but it lasted for a few weeks. The worst one was after getting thrown into 3 ft of water onto my head and the others were from rear end collisions.

If her hubby isn't comfortable with how she's doing he can always take her to an ER. That way a doctor can
evaluate for neuro symptoms that may need treatment asap. If nothing else, they'll get piece of mind.

Hope she gets to feeling better. Tc .. X

maddietod

Thanks, all. I've copied this information to my friends, and I watched the link! What fun!

Undisclosed

I had a moderate concussion a long time ago. I went over the handle bars of my bike, went jaw first into the pavement and ended up bruising the back portion of my brain -- don't ask -- something about being jarred so hard that my brain hit the back of my skull so forcefully it got 'bruised'. In 2001, I had another concussion from a car accident -- my car was totaled, I ended up with a mild concussion. I do remember not feeling right for a few weeks afterwards -- woozy, mild headaches etc. I never really felt what I could describe as pressure. I do get a sensation of pressure though when I have a migraine -- I would relate that to inflammation maybe. I suppose the neurologist would be able to assess her symptoms the best.

Let us know what happens.

Kina.

taniaaust1

My daughter didnt have ME/CFS but had concussion 4 times during her childhood (last time was from a kid at school hitting her over the head with a cricket bat.. who got out of it as he said it was accidental.. which it wasnt.. it still peeves me that a high school kid can do that to another child and get away with it).

From memory she did have a pressure feel in her head but she also had major headache, dizziness and blurred vision (for a short while she was completely blind and couldnt see at all when I took her to the hospital). She gradually got better after some time.

ukxmrv

I had a concussion after a road traffic accident. This was a closed head injury. Massive bruise on the forehead. MRI showed nothing (this is the UK so question mark over this. They made other mistakes).

Had a QEEG and this was where the injury was assessed.

Massive problems since then with reading, writing, comprehension and functioning. Not as far as I can see related to my ME. Different.

It has been stable since the accident for me and it doesn't tend to relapse/remission etc. No feeling of pressure.

My best wishes to the person with the injury for a recovery or at least some help and answers.

maddietod

Thanks. I've copied this information as well, and I think it will be very reassuring.

merylg

maddietod

I just got this via email:

Regardless of the cause, has anyone on PR experienced a massive attack of what feels like sympathetic nervous system hyper-drive, where the neck and spinal column feel all knotted up, making it extremely difficult to relax, and obviously preventing sleep? And most important, what did they do to get out of it?

They're going to the neurologist tomorrow. Meanwhile, thanks for all your help. I've copied all your answers to them.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Regardless of the cause, has anyone on PR experienced a massive attack of what feels like sympathetic nervous system hyper-drive, where the neck and spinal column feel all knotted up, making it extremely difficult to relax, and obviously preventing sleep? And most important, what did they do to get out of it?

They're going to the neurologist tomorrow. Meanwhile, thanks for all your help. I've copied all your answers to them.

Probably most of us could say yes to this. And sadly, the only way many of us could get out of this was to take medication.

Sushi

taniaaust1

I cant remember my first years of ME well nowdays when I did have some neck issues too but I do remember some incidents not long ago where I had this very weird feeling in my spine (for me it was stemming from the base of my spine) and it was like having restless leg syndrome or something feel right inside the spine.. or an irritating tinglying feel going on (im not explaining the feeling well, its very hard to explain). Very very annoying and hence was quite irritating while trying to sleep. I ended up putting my body into all kinds of odd postures and rolling about the bed (it made me want to move around), trying to relieve it but nothing helped.

I never thought about putting it down to SNS hyper and at the time wondered if I had some kind of inflammation going on but right inside the spine. I dont know if whatever I felt was is the kind of feeling she's refering too or not.