• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Foot pain--plantar fasciitis??

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I woke up this a.m. with intense pain in my heel, radiating into my foot and even at times into my calf. It hurts to massage it, and to stand and walk on my foot. Never had this before... :(

I looked it up and found info on plantar fasciitis. Does anyone have any good natural remedies for this?

valentinelynx

Look up stretching exercises for plantar fasciitis. But first, you need to rest the inflamed tendon by keeping your foot up as much as possible until the inflammation abates. Try icing it as well. As for medications, any anti-inflammatory should help. If you prefer natural options, things like Enzymatic Therapy's "End Pain" might work for you (bit pricey, though). Ibuprofen and aspirin work in much the same way for less $$.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks valentinelynx. I will do these things. Also had some acupuncture yesterday evening, and am going to needle the points every day.

AFCFS

Basic Stretching Exercises for Heel Pain, Heel Spurs, Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis

- Would be careful of the step stretch if balance is an issue.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I looked it up and found info on plantar fasciitis. Does anyone have any good natural remedies for this?

My husband, who does not have ME/CFS, had this problem. He went to a physical therapist and got some relief but very little.

Then I saw this article in our local newspaper (see below) about very long stretching -- holding the stretch for 15-20 minutes, not 30 seconds! -- and that type of stretching is what finally helped him. He did these stretches in the evenings while watching TV.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/02/colin_hoobler_stretches_strong.html

Be sure to follow the instructions about supporting your foot properly. The photo shows the guy using some white thing for the stretch (looks like the bottom part of a chair, maybe?). My husband found an old tupperware container that was about the right height for his foot, turned it over, and used that.

Good luck.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Keep a frozen 16 oz or 1.6 liter drink, water bottle in the freezer. Take it out frozen and roll your fit across it back and forth for at least 5 mins if possible and your way up to 10 mins per foot. This is a very cheap way to push the inflammation down. The doctor gave me this ointment to use for inflammation if you I had a specific areas that were worse plus I have planter neuroma

Attachments

• DSCN1030.JPG
    DSCN1030.JPG
    766.4 KB · Views: 7

Dreambirdie

work in progress
The exercises, as well as massaging several acupuncture points, have been very helpful. My foot feels a lot better already.

Thanks everyone for your input on this. :thumbsup: