• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GH

xks201

Anyone else taken GH? I love the stuff. Makes me feel good. Resolves my OI to some extent too. Anyone had their IGF-1 levels tested? After digging up a bunch of studies on fibromyalgia pretty much all of them have low GH.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Anyone had their IGF-1 levels tested? After digging up a bunch of studies on fibromyalgia pretty much all of them have low GH.

I had it tested. It was slightly higher than the max limit. Something like 499 being 470 the limit. But I was told IGF-1 isnt the actual GH hormone and it needs to be metabolized or something. Obviously I dont have high Growth Hormone, as my sleep its unrefreshing and I stopped growing at 18 or so when "CFS" started to show up his nasty head. I have seen tons of old school fellows, some have kept growing and developing, the healthiest ones. The obviously hormonally defficient/unbalanced like most of my friends have amazingly kept their height trough the 18-21 (today) ages. So im still among the tallest of them all heh

AFCFS

Anyone had their IGF-1 levels tested?
I had GH and IGF-1 levels tested. It is my understanding that GH is up and down throughout the day, so it tough to nail down. My IGF-1 was high. Having an MRI done because of that.

Here are two links from Lab Tests Online for IGF-1 and Growth Hormone. The one for GH states:

“Care must be taken when interpreting results of GH tests. Since GH is released by the pituitary in bursts, random GH levels are not very useful. There is too much overlap between abnormal results and normal daily variation. GH levels will be higher first thing in the morning and will increase with exercise and stress. It is more useful to compare GH results with IGF-1results and evaluate responses to GH stimulation or suppression.”

Here are some other links I found useful:
Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1)—The First-line Test for Assessing Excess Growth Hormone
IGF 1 AND CFS (16 PubMed articles - can pick and choose)
Growth hormone, IGF-I and cancer. Less intervention to avoid cancer? More intervention to prevent cancer?
Clinical Advances in Acromegaly Management: The Role of IGF-1 and Growth Hormone in the Diagnosis and Management of Acromegaly
Acromegaly Causes
Acromegaly Diagnosis: Blood Tests to Diagnose Acromegaly
Diagnosing and Monitoring Acromegaly
Chapter 5e. Acromegaly
High IGF-1 normal GH (anecdotal - from Acromegaly Support Group)

- Good for night time reading and really enough to make one's head spin. If you happen to come across anything else that high IGF-1 is related to please post.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
How high was your IGF-1, AFCFS? Does AF stand by "adrenal fatigue? I will admit, you have scared me a bit with those links of acromegaly and what not.

AFCFS

How high was your IGF-1, AFCFS? Does AF stand by "adrenal fatigue? I will admit, you have scared me a bit with those links of acromegaly and what not.
Correct on the AF - Adrenal Fatigue
My IGF-1 was 296 ng/mL (range 59-201).
My GH was taken in the AM and in normal range.

I don't have any "enlargement aspects," but some joint pain and maybe narrowing of peripheral vision, as determined by my doctor. However, Chapter 5e. Acromegaly does state:

"The systemic effects of acromegaly relate to the elevated levels of circulating growth hormone either through direct actions, or more probably from the systemic and local production of IGF-1 (Table 2). However, the insidious nature of onset of symptoms from growth hormone excess means that there is usually a considerable delay, typically in the region of 6-8 years, before the diagnosis of acromegaly is established. Affected patients frequently complain of generalised weakness and lethargy."

One doc had pompously told me elevated IGF-1 was "insignificant," another ordered an MRI. I fired the former and am sticking with the latter for now. I did not want to wait around 6-8 years to see if I had something that might be able to determined now, or may rule out the issue.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have heard of a few accounts of people fixing their sleep issues with 6 months of GH therapy, so if u have 6 month supply lying around i can test that theory for you.

cheers!!