• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do You Feel In The Morning?

I'm having a lot of trouble getting up these days- it's like I am so drained of energy, like lifting my head off the pillow is an effort. As well as this my sleep is crazy. I go to bed and crash out like I have been unconscious, but then wake up suddenly in the early hours, and then toss and turn all night till I finally drift off again just before dawn. BP is low again which might be why- anyone else have this total morning exhaustion? Oh yes and I have always got some sort of headache too in the morning. I have a lot of issues with NMH so guess this is all part of it, just wondering if anyone else feels so rubbish first thing in the morning.

Nielk

I have felt like this practically every morning for the past 10 years of being ill. I wake up exhausted and with a headache.

taniaaust1

I vary in how I wake up.. all depending on how much I was doing in the previous 2 or 3 days. One big thing thou which played a factor in whether I felt tired on waking in the morning or not was having untreated hyperinsulinemia... an extremely low carb diet had me waking up far less often tired in the morning. Hyperinsulinemia if a person has it.. compounds ME and Ive found worsens some of the symptoms (for me it worsened morning tiredness, more sore throats, gave severe mood swings and also gave me GERD).

Im not saying this is your issue but wanted to express this as its the one thing (other then what I do days previously) Ive found to play a major impact on how I feel in the morning on waking.

AFCFS

I'm having a lot of trouble getting up these days- it's like I am so drained of energy, like lifting my head off the pillow is an effort. As well as this my sleep is crazy. I go to bed and crash out like I have been unconscious, but then wake up suddenly in the early hours, and then toss and turn all night till I finally drift off again just before dawn. BP is low again which might be why- anyone else have this total morning exhaustion? Oh yes and I have always got some sort of headache too in the morning. I have a lot of issues with NMH so guess this is all part of it, just wondering if anyone else feels so rubbish first thing in the morning.

I have felt like this practically every morning for the past 10 years of being ill. I wake up exhausted and with a headache.

I had similar experiences. I got tested for sleep apnea and was then treated for that (CPAP then oral appliance). That helped with some exhaustion and the headaches went away, but their is still the fatigue and general lack of motivation to do anything except crawl out of bed for something to eat, visit the bathroom, then crawl back into bed.

valentinelynx

Being upright just doesn't feel good until sometime after 2 PM, typically. If I'm working (which I do sporadically), then I have to get up somewhere between 5:30 and 6:30 AM, and I can do it, but it is painful. Actually, I've found that I'll often feel better getting up after a very brief sleep period (3-4 hours) than after 7 or more, although I will pay for this later with increased pain and exhaustion.

GracieJ

Opening my eyes first thing in the morning is torture. I know the next two to three hours are going to have to be sloooow going before I start feeling awake and alert enough to focus on the day -- or not. I just plain wake up exhausted still. Some days, I wake up feeling absolutely GREAT for the first ten minutes. I hop out of bed thinking I can get on with it... then everything hits and I'm crawling back into bed for a couple more hours. I've learned to lie there and enjoy that few moments of peace before I feel exhausted and develop a headache, then roll over and let myself doze back off for a good long time to sleep it off. It is usually 11 am or later before I can handle whatever is happening for the day.

Like others, the morning is worse if I awakened in the wee hours and tossed and turned for a while, ready to return to sleep at 7 or 8 am. This was the pattern every night for years. Not so much now, maybe once a week.

Ema

This was low cortisol for me...horrible mornings with terrible headaches no matter what time I went to bed the night before. Now that this has been diagnosed, I still don't leap out of bed at 7AM like I did in my 20s, but it's better. And those morning headaches are rare.

I would encourage anyone with these symptoms to look into a saliva cortisol test where the saliva is collected 4x/day to check the level and rhythm. If it is low, there are strategies and hormones that may improve mornings.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I think it was Freddd who said (sorry Freddd if it wasn't you) that the feeling in the morning was like having been run over by a truck in the night but having no memory of it, the differences being whether it had been a 2, 10, or 100ton truck. This describes exactly how I feel. I too have the early 2-4am wake up toss and turn until 6-8 and then fall asleep exhausted for an hour or two. What a wearing illness this is. My only saving is that I usually get 3 and half to 4 hours sleep after taking zopliclone, so as long as I go to bed early enough I can then usually creep through the next day.

I think it was Freddd who said (sorry Freddd if it wasn't you) that the feeling in the morning was like having been run over by a truck in the night but having no memory of it, the differences being whether it had been a 2, 10, or 100ton truck. This describes exactly how I feel. I too have the early 2-4am wake up toss and turn until 6-8 and then fall asleep exhausted for an hour or two. What a wearing illness this is. My only saving is that I usually get 3 and half to 4 hours sleep after taking zopliclone, so as long as I go to bed early enough I can then usually creep through the next day.
THIS!

leela

I always desribe it as feeling "poisoned and beat up."
It has been so, so long since I have woken up feeling any other way.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I always desribe it as feeling "poisoned and beat up."
It has been so, so long since I have woken up feeling any other way.

Do you remember when you used to wake up refreshed and energized? Did that ever happen? I know theorically that it happened when I was a kid and a teenager but cannot hold the actual sensation or memory anymore.

Tammy

How bad mornings are for me varies but it is always predictable that I feel the worse between 2 p.m. and 7p,m.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I feel good until after I eat breakfast, then I die on the sofa until about 1 or 2. I don't even try to do stuff before that.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Do you remember when you used to wake up refreshed and energized? Did that ever happen? I know theorically that it happened when I was a kid and a teenager but cannot hold the actual sensation or memory anymore.

This has changed for me a lot since getting treatment. I used to wake up feeling like crap. Now I do feel pretty much refreshed--especially after a whole pot of tea!

I start to fade after a few hours of doing things--not running marathons mind you, but reasonable things around the house.

Sushi

helen1

Like others, it takes me a long time to get up once I'm awake, as I have no energy and it seems too difficult to do so. I too am awake often around 4 for an hour or two. My sleep has really improved since taking niacinamide and GABA in the evening though. Had more awakenings before.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I stopped having multiple awakenings per night when I quitted (again) gluten and casein. My sleep is still crap, but at least I dont wake up 2-6 times per night. Now I wake up one time or none (I am not counting the last one when you wake up). This has been going only for 4 days since I quitted gluten and casein but the change is very clear. I was eating whole spelt bread and such. God it tasted good with some organic mermelade. You try to cheat on healthy food but it doesn´t works.

Sushi of course the question is... what treatment?

Thinktank

I need to take clonazepam at a dosage of 0.5mg just before bedtime otherwise i wake up after 4 to 5 hours of sleep with air hunger and a very strange poisoned feeling. I need to eat something then and wait 1.5 to 2 hours in a sitting position before falling back asleep. Then i wake up a few hours later again feeling totally hungover.
Last year i had 2 days which i strangely remember crystal clear. I didn't wake up a single time at night and woke up very refreshed, most symptoms were absent and my brain fog was reduced by approx. 70%. If i could just find out the why and how...