• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme test results

aprilk1869

Steve, Peyronie's is associated with soft tissue calcification and excessive collagen production. It's very related to Dupuytren's contracture which is something my dad has.

Soft tissue calcification can be caused by a vitamin K2 deficiency although most of the research has been in relation to the arteries. Vitamin K2 is very important for all sorts of things, especially the bones, the brain and testosterone.

My dad also has bone erosion in his feet which is associated with inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA). K2 has been shown to help with RA, so I'm going to buy Carlson's MK4 as it seems to have good feedback.

I have no idea if it will actually work, this is just an educated guess.

Further reading:
www.westonaprice.org/fat-soluble-activators/x-factor-is-vitamin-k2
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008...ne-And-Arterial-Health-With-Vitamin-K2_01.htm

I've also been able to link excess collagen with low levels of glutathione and SAMe so the methylation supplements may help too.

Steve, Peyronie's is associated with soft tissue calcification and excessive collagen production. It's very related to Dupuytren's contracture which is something my dad has.

Soft tissue calcification can be caused by a vitamin K2 deficiency although most of the research has been in relation to the arteries. Vitamin K2 is very important for all sorts of things, especially the bones, the brain and testosterone.

My dad also has bone erosion in his feet which is associated with inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA). K2 has been shown to help with RA, so I'm going to buy Carlson's MK4 as it seems to have good feedback.

I have no idea if it will actually work, this is just an educated guess.

Further reading:
www.westonaprice.org/fat-soluble-activators/x-factor-is-vitamin-k2
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008...ne-And-Arterial-Health-With-Vitamin-K2_01.htm

I've also been able to link excess collagen with low levels of glutathione and SAMe so the methylation supplements may help too.

Do doctors test for this vitamin K2? I have seen they sometimes test electrolytes,minerals,urine,vitamin D but not vitamin K nor the K2.
You know I do have high calcium levels due to the methylation block and I would really like to look into this vitamin K thing as the past week I had 3 nose bleeds,two of them stopped within 15 seconds and the last one was prolonged.
About the curved penis,I've read a guy getting Peyronie's who made a connection between Lyme disease and Peyronie's.
Who knows.Lyme patients will never cure if they have messed up methylation,they can take a cartwheel full of antibiotics it's worthless.

I have been also told I have GABA deficiency.Does GABA deficiency automatically mean I have growth hormone deficiency too?
My supplements will arrive soon...(HOPEFULLY!!!)

aprilk1869

Do doctors test for this vitamin K2? I have seen they sometimes test electrolytes,minerals,urine,vitamin D but not vitamin K nor the K2.
You know I do have high calcium levels due to the methylation block and I would really like to look into this vitamin K thing as the past week I had 3 nose bleeds,two of them stopped within 15 seconds and the last one was prolonged.
About the curved penis,I've read a guy getting Peyronie's who made a connection between Lyme disease and Peyronie's.
Who knows.Lyme patients will never cure if they have messed up methylation,they can take a cartwheel full of antibiotics it's worthless.

I have been also told I have GABA deficiency.Does GABA deficiency automatically mean I have growth hormone deficiency too?
My supplements will arrive soon...(HOPEFULLY!!!)

I don't know if doctors generally test for K2. I know that Metametrix tests for undercarboxylated osteocalcin and high levels mean a deficiency of K2.

There was a woman with dupuytren's and ledderhose who found improvements when taking the anti-malarial drug Malarone. I know that it's often used to treat lyme co-infections. http://ledderhose.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/interview-with-ledderhose-patient-who.html

I have no idea about GABA and growth hormones, I've only ever read about it in relation to glutamate.

I have been reading a story about a guy who has/had similar case to mine.Very athletic at young age,always on top in every sport but when they sent him to swimming class he was always last one,the worst performing kid in water.
Decade later he found out that chlorinated water was the root cause of his health issues and made dramatic improvements with chlorinated filter system but in my country it's very expensive and I can't afford it.

You could try spring water, and see if it helps with the heartburn. A real test would mean eliminating all sources of tap water including anything in your food. A fresh brita or comparable charcoal based water filter will make a big difference in the amount of chloramine in the water.

One instant fix for many kinds of heartburn is niacinamide powder, maybe 50-200mg, it can make a big difference to gastric inflammation for an hour or two. Also i found that lecithin in high doses helped a lot, and that lasts longer.

OkRadLakPok

Steve- You sound like you have had a terrible amount of trouble. Your problems have been similar to mine, and I firmly believe that it is not merely our genes, but the fact that some genes are less able to eliminate and process the toxins in our world.

My grandparents and parents had some of the strangeness that I have in their genes. However, because they were in a purer world, the genes expressed mostly on their positive side. They had no folic acid in their bread or mercury in teeth. They were not shot up with thimerosol, etc.

They lived to old ages, aside from heart issues, to which I am subject, too, but short of that, none of these genes caused them any major, debilitating problems as mine have. Thus, I have to conclude that environment has trumped, and has caused my genes to express it ways they have not before.

I have done a tremendous amount of research into the genes which may be causing trouble. There are genes which are better at processing mercury, for instance----HOWEVER NONE can really process it because it is not supposed to be in us! I also found some genes that may make it harder to process dyes such as are used in MRIs. Stay away from gadolinium! Then there is the whole Methylation issue........

Have you run your raw data from 23 and Me through Prometheases? That is an EXCELLENT program which will tell you if you have certain genes which make you a slow processor in general.

I am an intermediate metabolizer, but, as we shared in the other post, I too have the COMT++.

It's a puzzle and I am up to the challenge and I see you are, too. If you are on 23 and Me and want to share health reports, let me know. We sound like we are struggling with similar issues, and I even have PTSD (means we also have great memories! Too good in some places).

PS: Do you know your blood type? That can all throw a wrench into things, as well. I am Rh-Neg.

Steve- You sound like you have had a terrible amount of trouble. Your problems have been similar to mine, and I firmly believe that it is not merely our genes, but the fact that some genes are less able to eliminate and process the toxins in our world.

My grandparents and parents had some of the strangeness that I have in their genes. However, because they were in a purer world, the genes expressed mostly on their positive side. They had no folic acid in their bread or mercury in teeth. They were not shot up with thimerosol, etc.

They lived to old ages, aside from heart issues, to which I am subject, too, but short of that, none of these genes caused them any major, debilitating problems as mine have. Thus, I have to conclude that environment has trumped, and has caused my genes to express it ways they have not before.

I have done a tremendous amount of research into the genes which may be causing trouble. There are genes which are better at processing mercury, for instance----HOWEVER NONE can really process it because it is not supposed to be in us! I also found some genes that may make it harder to process dyes such as are used in MRIs. Stay away from gadolinium! Then there is the whole Methylation issue........

Have you run your raw data from 23 and Me through Prometheases? That is an EXCELLENT program which will tell you if you have certain genes which make you a slow processor in general.

I am an intermediate metabolizer, but, as we shared in the other post, I too have the COMT++.

It's a puzzle and I am up to the challenge and I see you are, too. If you are on 23 and Me and want to share health reports, let me know. We sound like we are struggling with similar issues, and I even have PTSD (means we also have great memories! Too good in some places).

PS: Do you know your blood type? That can all throw a wrench into things, as well. I am Rh-Neg.

Please tell me more about this prometheases.I am interested.
According to 23andme my ABO blood type is type O (O/O) and Rh negative (-/-).I know this is shameful but I have no idea about my blood types.

OkRadLakPok

Promethease is great. This is the link for it and the second is the link to a video which walks you through. I have serious brain fog, too, and this video was 100% on.

Have you downloaded your 23 and me raw data? If you go to accounts, then browse raw data, and then download raw data.

Once you do that, Promethease will find it and upload it. I put my raw data on desktop to make it easier.

You will not believe the amount of information your raw data will generate. This is the most usable program I have ever used. It also has a lot of medications, traits, etc and a tab delimited link which list all the snps if you want to research them with a quick Find search.

Hope it helps!

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

I have been told by more than one person that I should look into Marfan syndrome because I have lots of symptoms of it.I was really stupid to not put the picture together.

Homocystinuria overlaps with Marfan's symptoms.
I have the CBS mutation,diagnostic criteria for homocystinuria (gene-wise) is cystathionine beta synthase deficiency.

The reason why I didn't suffer severe mental retardation is because of the following:

-the first time I've ate eggs was at age 22,I've always had a disgust to eggs (note eggs are the highest in sulphur content,full of methionine and protein which are bad for CBS people).
-grew up eating junk food,rarely ate meat. But now I'm on a high protein,high meat diet for the past 1 year after stopping all the junk food all the candy,chocolate,potato chips,sugar I've ate all my life even quit smoking to change my life for the better.

I will tell you what this high meat and high protein diet with high fat (lots of extra virgin olive oil)did to me in nearly 1 year. My muscles have atrophied,lost even the little muscle mass I had,my skin aged !!!!30!!!! years,the skin on my face is peeling constantly and my face looks like a balloon,developed severe blepharitis (never had before,still on AB),developed paranoia,constant stress and flight or fight mode,no energy etc. I could live my life without meat,but this stupid CBS requires me to do LOW PROTEIN too.So how can I build muscle with low protein? This is the only thing that keeps me alive,that someday I will have enough money to have a surgery for the pectus carinatum and scoliosis and build a beautiful musclular body that will make me feel proud.Till then I have to live with constant PTSD and depression.