• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

not sure what i have but do u get really nauseous and weak from OH

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Some people who have nausea due to orthostatic intolerance do have problems with salt. Even though they may need it, taking extra salt, especially salt tablets, can cause more nausea...
Another option that you might try is a liquid electrolyte solution - either Pedialyte (TM), or some generic version of it (e.g., Walgreen's makes their own brand). I recommend the unflavored versions and keeping them in the refrigerator. Another option is to mix up your own, either using packets or tablets you can buy (Nuun is one brand) or by mixing it up from scratch (folks have posted recipes for this on other threads in this forum). I think the salt/potassium may be absorbed better when it's in a liquid. And you can keep a glass nearby and keep sipping on it throughout the day.

These suggestions (extra water, salt, and potassium) are all just band-aids, of course, not a cure. But I think that anything that helps is worth trying.

By the way, one of my very early symptoms was waking up and having to urinate several times during the night (technical term = nocturia, I remember seeing it in my chart!). It was not very much but somehow I just had to get up and go. Shortly after I started on Florinef that symptom stopped and it has never come back. And you'd think that drinking 2.5 to 3 liters of water a day would make me have to urinate more often, perhaps even during the night, but it does not.

Salt tablets make me nauseated but other forms (I use Celtic Sea Salt at the moment) do not. I use it on food and add it to electrolyte drinks.

Sushi

i am so scared that i have one of these awful progressive neuro degenerative disorders....i am praying for CFS!!!!

oy vey

i think i should stop reading....

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
i am so scared that i have one of these awful progressive neuro degenerative disorders....i am praying for CFS!!!!

oy vey

i think i should stop reading....

Don't pray too hard for a CFS diagnosis...cause some of us find that CFS is also "a progressive neuro-degnerative disorder"--though not in the same way as ALS. Not to scare you, but this is one awful illness to live with.

Agreed, probably not a good idea to surf the web with your symptoms, but targetted reading often takes you farther than doctor's visits.

Best wishes,
Sushi

taniaaust1

ME/CFS is a shocking illness to have, far worst then you are currently realising, many of us here would rather have cancer.

I think its best that you dont do too much surfing on what you "may have" right now.. and as aweful as it is.. go along with the doctors and have that tilt table test done.

It is possible that you may only have a postural orthostatic issue and nothing else. I can feel very nauseous with my dysautonomia and can pass out completely for up to 5mins at a time. If you got this from going off some pills.. if it was me, I'd probably try to go back on them and see if it settles down.

Also medical compression stockings can be helpful some for most kinds of dysautonomia issues (thou not all).