• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

beaverfury

beaverfury
Is tianeptine generally calming?? SSRI's are prescribed for anxiety but my experience with ssri's is that they are energizing and maybe in the first week or 2 i can see how they could aggravate anxiety.
Those that have used tianeptine found it sedating/calming or is it like an ssri in that after being on them for a few weeks that worries seem like water off a ducks back and makes one feel better about feeling like crap type of feeling or is it sort of like a low dose benzo and how it works on anxiety.

Hi heaps,
took me a while to see this. Tianeptine is definitely calming for me, but not sedating at all.

' Tianeptine is a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer (SSRE), opposite to the action of SSRIs. Tianeptine enhances the extracellular concentration of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens[5] and modulates the D2 and D3 dopamine receptors,[6] but this effect is modest and almost certainly indirect.[4] There is also action on the NMDA and AMPA receptors. Recent reviews point to this pathway as a hypothesized mechanism of action, based on tianeptine's effect of reversing impaired neuroplasticity associated with stress'. wiki

It's done the job for me. Hasnt interfered with sleep or sexual function. It just leaves me clear.
It would be nice if it had some motivating effect too, but it hasnt done that.

I sort of like Hip's prescription though. I would like to try that. My long term aim is always to take the least amount of medication i can. Though this is sometimes not a reality.
I've ordered some some NAG and bioavailable curcumin to go with the flax oil i already take.

This is a great thread. I love all us supplement/medication voyagers.

GhostGum

Anyone else gone with the NAG and got any results? I do not want to get carried away, it is always a little tricky to tell since I am always making gradual progress but on the first two days of adding NAG it seemed quite significant, by far I have not felt that settled and normal in a long time, especially concerning my cognitive symptoms which are most dominant, they really seem reduced and I assume maybe because the inflammation has been reduced. Has been about a week now, seems to have tapered off a bit but that is pretty normal, could not expect exponential improvement.

Just been a long time since I have had a result like that from any one thing, really looking forward to see how the weeks progress.

I still the T cell link to NAG is very interesting, just posted this,

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...erimental-autoimmune-encephalomyelitis.20085/

merylg

GhostGum I'm trying N-Acetylglucosamine. Early days, seem to tolerate it & seem to notice some benefit from it. Hard to say as am also increasing intake of turmeric in food, turmeric/bromelain capsules, coconut oil, fish oil, cod liver oil, Vit C/Echinacea, Gamma E, Magnesium malate, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit B1, Vit B2, D-Ribose, TMG & L-Lysine.
From time to time take Teldane or Loratidine and Zantac.
Have Colchicine to try down the track after I have seen Neurogeneticist re ?mito diseases as Colchicine can cause myopathy :rolleyes:

GhostGum

GhostGum I'm trying N-Acetylglucosamine. Early days, seem to tolerate it & seem to notice some benefit from it. Hard to say as am also increasing intake of turmeric in food, turmeric/bromelain capsules, coconut oil, fish oil, cod liver oil, Vit C/Echinacea, Gamma E, Magnesium malate, Evening Primrose Oil, Vit B1, Vit B2, D-Ribose, TMG & L-Lysine.
From time to time take Teldane or Loratidine and Zantac.
Have Colchicine to try down the track after I have seen Neurogeneticist re ?mito diseases as Colchicine can cause myopathy :rolleyes:

Hey Meryl.

Like a lot of supplements I think it is hit or miss, but the difference here is that if NAG hits it looks like it can be quite significant; I am always making progress but not at the pace I have in the last week after adding it, knock on wood. Will be interesting to cycle off it in a few weeks maybe, not add anything different then see how it goes again.

This is probably a good example of it being hit or miss,

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic4895.html

One MS patient saying it made a dramatic difference while others seem to have no luck. Have to wonder whether used earlier it might have helped onset, might be helpful for ME onset as well, anything that can potentially keep inflammation at bay could be huge for anyone in the early stages. With little commercial interest in a supplement like this who knows if other studies will ever eventuate though.

Hip

Technically it might not be appropriate to suggest they are anti-anxiety, since they might have no effect on what is more generally regarded as anxiety but they can potentially help anxiety in ME by helping treat what may be causing it.

I wonder if anxiety disorder might be caused by brain inflammation even in those that don't have ME/CFS. There is certainly a lot of current research linking brain inflammation to various mental symptoms and mental conditions.

Hip

If flaxseed oil tastes just too horrible (and I agree, it is horrible), you could try grapeseed oil instead. I find the clouds lift a little after taking some. An easy way to take it is to put some in a tub in the freezer so that it becomes spreadable - you can then spread it on your bread instead of butter. It doesn't taste of much, it's a bit like sunflower oil.

Interesting. I wonder what it is within the grape seed oil that is giving you a mood-boosting effect? Grape seed oil is 70% linoleic acid (omega-6), 17% oleic acid (omega-9), and 8% palmitic acid.

Hip

How about primrose oil instead of flaxseed?

I found evening primrose oil 5 ml (4000 mg) taken twice daily has some anti-anxiety benefits (and I have EPO in my list of anti-anxiety supplements).

However, I personally found flaxseed oil much better. Moreover, flaxseed oil, for me, seems to treat the unpleasant anxiety psychosis that can appear when you experience extreme anxiety.

Hip

For those trying N-acetylglucosamine (NAG): it is worth trying different dosage levels, to see if they offer additional improvements.

I find the benefits of NAG kick in fast — within a day to two — so you can quickly get feedback on whether a higher or lower dose is beneficial for you within days.

I have experimented with NAG dose levels from 500 mg once a day, up to 1500 mg twice a day. At these higher doses, my constantly inflamed and congested sinuses and nose became as clean as a whistle — completely unblocked — and can I then breathe very easily nasally. Moreover, I find my anxiety disorder symptoms are further lowered with these higher doses of NAG.

However, at higher NAG doses I get one side effect: a mild feeling of melancholy (not depression, just a mildly melancholic tone; nothing too problematic). I would be interested to know if anyone else gets this mildly melancholic feeling appearing with higher NAG doses.

Incidentally, NAG is considered extremely safe: in the rat, even in daily doses as high as around 2300 mg per kg (that's the equivalent of 160 grams daily for an average weight man) showed no toxicity at all. Ref: 1.

The half life of NAG in the body is 3.7 hours (ref: 1), so this suggests a dosing schedule of two to three times a day might be appropriate for NAG.

Interesting. I wonder what it is within the grape seed oil that is giving you a mood-boosting effect? Grape seed oil is 70% linoleic acid (omega-6), 17% oleic acid (omega-9), and 8% palmitic acid.

I wondered that too, I have no idea. I started taking it because it is a good source of co-enzyme Q10, and it does help a bit with energy levels, especially with feeling cold. I was pleasantly surprised by the anti-anxiety side effects. I initially thought it was coincidence, but no, it's definitely the grapeseed oil. I now also take it before going to bed and I sleep better for it.

GhostGum

I wonder if anxiety disorder might be caused by brain inflammation even in those that don't have ME/CFS. There is certainly a lot of current research linking brain inflammation to various mental symptoms and mental conditions.

It maybe be in some cases but I would still think it is a habitual/mental condition, but I do not deny there could be a lot of grey area, seems way too easy to diagnose it as such when there could be unknown organic reasons at play or even basic deficiencies.

Interesting you talking about the dosing and feeling melancholy at higher doses, I have settled on 750mg first thing in the morning then another 750mg early mid afternoon, since I did not feel great after taking a third dose later in the day or early evening; might try it again though sometime since its early days.

Lala

I had no luck with NAG, even with higher dosages for longer time. It did nothing for me. I have not tried curcumin, but I took Curamin and it did nothing as well.

wastwater

Im interested in glutamate as I think it may be important,ive posted just to save the page and read it later,thanks.I just found out that hhv-6 in the brain infects glial cells astrocytes oligodendrocytes and sends youre glutamate through the roof.

Hip

I just came across this article that states that too much glucosamine can cause the death of pancreatic beta cells, thus increasing the risk of diabetes.

I am not sure if N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) will also have this effect on beta cells (perhaps NAG breaks down into glucosamine in the body — does anyone know?), but it might be wise to limit the amount of NAG you take. I am currently taking 750 mg of NAG daily, on an empty stomach (taking on a full stomach decreases its bioavailability).

Lotus97

There's a lot of good information in these lists. However, many of the supplements mentioned can cause anxiety and/or stimulation in some individuals so anyone reading these should be cautious and maybe start at a low dose.

adreno

PR activist
I just came across this article that states that too much glucosamine can cause the death of pancreatic beta cells, thus increasing the risk of diabetes.

I am not sure if N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) will also have this effect on beta cells (perhaps NAG breaks down into glucosamine in the body — does anyone know?), but it might be wise to limit the amount of NAG you take. I am currently taking 750 mg of NAG daily, on an empty stomach (taking on a full stomach decreases its bioavailability).
Yeah, NAG is a precursor to glucosamine. Still, it must be a lot safer than supplementing glucosamine directly, as there must be a rate limiting factor somewhere (unless that factor is NAG intake, lol).

Hip

Thanks Marlène, that's very interesting. I just found this:
Carbohydrates Consumed by Lyme Spirochete

An effort to determine which carbohydrates Borrelia burgdorferi consumes revealed that the organism utilizes the monosaccharides glucose, mannose and N-acetylglucosamine, as well as the disaccharides maltose and chitobiose.

A popular treatment for arthritis includes the administration of chondroitin sulfate and N-acetylglucosamine. If the arthritis is Lyme-induced, N-acetylglucosamine is contraindicated.

Source: Townsend Letter, February/March 2006.

So I guess this N-acetylglucosamine treatment for anxiety may not be such a good idea for anyone with Lyme disease.

anna8

hi hip, i too have anxiety problem, along with all the ME symptom! i say that i am not sure what i have got! i connect a lot of my problem with jaw bone infection which go into my sinuses! so i do think you are spot on with the sinus issue and anxiety problem! i'm going to try n-actylglucosamine! i already take flax the one i take is[ linwoods milled flax, sunflower,pumpkin sesame seed and goji berries you can sprinkle it on anything and it taste great!:)