• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS ME FM and Flu Shot

roxie60

I am feeling really bad lately but still at work. Company is giving out flu shots. I have taken it in the past but I feel really ill and unconfortable but afraid to not take it and be exposed to all the germies around work. What is your experience taking a flu shot with CFS / FM symps? Just looking for opinions. Thx

Rooney

I am feeling really bad lately but still at work. Company is giving out flu shots. I have taken it in the past but I feel really ill and unconfortable but afraid to not take it and be exposed to all the germies around work. What is your experience taking a flu shot with CFS / FM symps? Just looking for opinions. Thx
I wouldn't if you're already sick. Avoid a "live" vaccine. Or wait until you're better.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I had a really bad reaction--even to the "not live" vaccine. I will never take it again. There are also big questions about how much the vaccine will protect you as they formulate the vaccines before the current flu system hits. From what I have read, they have to guess a bit about how to formulate it.

Sushi

roxie60

I've decided to wait a week and see if I feel better, just way too many symps dont want to pile more 'uncomfortableness (is this a word ;-) on me poor bod

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've decided to wait a week and see if I feel better, just way too many symps dont want to pile more 'uncomfortableness (is this a word ;-) on me poor bod

Roxy,

I don't know about the others who have reported bad reactions to flu shots but for me, it wasn't "uncomfortableness," it was more like "Should I call 911!"

Sushi

*GG*

I wouldn't get it, I used to before coming down with CFIDS (thought it was the smart thing to do, but this illness teaches you many things, and I did have a stretch of the flu very badly for a week). I remember one winter coming home and crashing all night. I changed jobs and moved across the state and mentioned this to on my fellow co-workers and they said they experienced the same thing.

I don't feel that much worse when I get sick, so why bother?

I also keep my Vitamin D levels high and take lots of Vitamin C, some Drs take mega doses (via IV) of these when they feel something coming on, and it supposed to reduce the time and severity, if I recall correctly.

GG

PS I thought I used to eat healthy, but I ate some crappy stuff, much more aware now!

barbc56

I get the flu shot every year and am about ready to get it plus the shingles vaccine. My doctor wants me to get the shots because of my my diagnosis with me/cfs/fm and the possible impact of actually getting the flu, especially since we crash so easily.

The bad effects of vaccines are really overhyped IMHO. I'm not saying they don't happen. I would suggest if someone is worried about getting a vaccine, see an immunologist and get his/her opinion as there are medical conditions where you shouldn'tt get vaccines but these are very very rare.

I don't feel that much worse when I get sick, so why bother?
You should bother because you may be contagious to others who may be in a higher risk group.
It's obviously a matter or personal choice if you chose not to get vaccinated but you have to weigh the risks with the benefits, to yourself as well as others.

No, I am not interested in debating the merits of vaccination. I am just showing another perspective.

Barb C.:>)

*GG*

I get the flu shot every year and am about ready to get it plus the shingles vaccine. My doctor wants me to get the shots because of my my diagnosis with me/cfs/fm and the possible impact of actually getting the flu, especially since we crash so easily.

The bad effects of vaccines are really overhyped IMHO. I'm not saying they don't happen. I would suggest if someone is worried about getting a vaccine, see an immunologist and get his/her opinion as there are medical conditions where you shouldn'tt get vaccines but these are very very rare.

You should bother because you may be contagious to others who may be in a higher risk group.
It's obviously a matter or personal choice if you chose not to get vaccinated but you have to weigh the risks with the benefits, to yourself as well as others.

No, I am not interested in debating the merits of vaccination. I am just showing another perspective.

Barb C.:>)

I have heard one person I respect say the shingles shot is good to get, not worried about that at this point and time, I'm not that old, I will research it more at some further date.

I am not buying the herd immunity thing, if that's the case, then a few outliers should not affect anything, right? When the "swine" flu was Big News, I asked one of my Drs who had small children and a pregnant wife, he basically told me that No One in his family was getting the shot, and to take my advice from that!

GG

Valentijn

If you do get it, you could try to get a version without all the nasty preservatives that we might have trouble detoxing. Of course, you probably couldn't get that option at work :p

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I would suggest if someone is worried about getting a vaccine, see an immunologist and get his/her opinion as there are medical conditions where you shouldn'tt get vaccines but these are very very rare.

That's what I thought until I developed ME straight after a vaccination (initially Guillain Barre Syndrome was suspected, but ruled out).

I'm not saying anyone in this thread will have a reaction/relapse to the flut vaccination, but to simply be aware that viruses and 'live' vaccines are the most common triggers for this illness.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
There are a few different types.

The intranasal vaccination uses live 'attenuated' virus.
There are two types of shots, virus which has been incubated in embryonated avian eggs, and then chemically treated to 'inactivate' the virus. These are not supposed to be able to replicate (up for debate, depends on whether the entirety virus cells are in fact 'inactivated'), but induce immunity to a complete viral capsid with surface proteins.
There are also shots based on isolated surface proteins, in the absence of a viral capsid.

All of them will promote an immune response (which is the whole point), but one of the problems in ME or CFS is that the immune response can be atypical, leading to increased inflammation.

SOC

I had the flu shot this year. I'm exposed enough that when I don't get the vaccine, I get the full-blown flu which is worse. I definitely avoid the live 'attenuated' virus vaccine.

This works for me, but it doesn't for everyone. I have had moderate setbacks in the past from flu vaccines, but nothing intolerable. That's not a guarantee with ME/CFS. This year, now that I'm much improved and able to work part time, I had a very small reaction -- a little achy and tired for a couple of days. I took it on a Friday and slept more over the weekend than usual.

I think the recommendations from Dr Lapp (seen at link in post #10) makes good sense. The only thing I'd add is that if you're going to rely on antivirals to help if you get the flu, make sure in advance that you have a doc who will cooperate. Most won't give you antivirals if it's "just the flu".

xks201

I just got it and now I'm sick with flu like symptoms. Happens everytime I get it. And I never get the flu otherwise.