• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Review of the Neuropharmacology of Bupropion, a Dual Norepinephrine / Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor

LisaGoddard

Hi, It also has anti-inflammatory benefits I think. I guess you get it on prescription?

I tried to get my doctor to presribe it for me but they are not allowed to except as an aid to stop smoking. I also tried the ME Clinic (I'm in the UK) but they wouldn't give a recommendation for it.

Rand56

"but they are not allowed to except as an aid to stop smoking"

I'm not familiar with how UK does things but this is totally ridiculous. Many docs prescribe it for depression.

nanonug

alice

According to this paper, yes (in mice): A new chapter opens in anti-inflammatory treatments: the antidepressant bupropion lowers production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interferon-gamma in mice.

Is anyone here taking bupropion as antiinflammatory or to lower TNF-alpha. Is it addictive or cause dependency, and wonder about withdrawal symptoms if a person wants to stop. I had a horrible experience with discontinuing Cymbalta and would never knowingly want to go through that again.

alice

penny

Is anyone here taking bupropion as antiinflammatory or to lower TNF-alpha. Is it addictive or cause dependency, and wonder about withdrawal symptoms if a person wants to stop. I had a horrible experience with discontinuing Cymbalta and would never knowingly want to go through that again.

I suspect experiences vary, and my memory is fuzzy but my experience: taking wellbutrin for depression (started pre ME onset), stopped about a year after ME onset because I stopped all supplements to prepare for a sleep study, I stopped without tapering (I was on 300mg a day). I felt fine (well, the same), no withdrawal symptoms or anything. And since my mood did not change on stopping I never started taking it again. Again, it might be worth looking at one of the sites with drug reviews for others discussion of possible withdrawal but my impression is that it doesn't create the same kind of physical dependencies many of the other AD's do, so it's easier to discontinue (but this is just an impression).

LisaGoddard

"but they are not allowed to except as an aid to stop smoking"

I'm not familiar with how UK does things but this is totally ridiculous. Many docs prescribe it for depression.

Yeah, tell me about it!! It is a real pain in the UK to get anything for ME. Did you get your's from magicpharma or from a generic supplier in the US?