• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and drug/chemical intolerance

Dmitri

I noted in my introduction post how I am unable to take any drugs, and also have a sensitivity to preservatives and artificial additives. Some of the ingredients in the supplements look suspicious (potassium sorbate etc.. A further complication is sensitivity to anything "concentrated". If I take such supplements, they have to be dissolved well and taken with food, or else the concentrated substances may be too intense for my stomach.

Do you believe these chemicals can hurt me?

Aileen

Everyone is different so it is very hard to say. I do think that potassium sorbate is pretty safe, but that doesn't guarantee it will be safe for YOU. I'm not sure exactly what products you are looking at.

I am looking at the basic simplified methylation protocol (revised) and I have the following problems.
Hydroxy B12 Mega Drops - contains rosemary extract
MethylMate B - has natural strawberry flavour (I don't care how natural it is, fruit flavour is trouble for me)
General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula - the milk thistle, pine bark, L-carnitine and tumeric all stand out as potential trouble makers for me.

Does anyone know of an acceptable alternate for any of these products that doesn't have flavourings in them or a multi that has everything it needs for this protocol without the extra herbs?

i have similar issues, and buy either pure powder from purebulk or brands from iherb with fillers i can tolerate. (i am in canada too). i never touch any product with lots of different active ingredients because my needs are individual, and i believe that is true for anyone that's sick..

i used to have problems with potassium sorbate (injected in cryovac pork loin) when i felt really unwell.

Freddd

Everyone is different so it is very hard to say. I do think that potassium sorbate is pretty safe, but that doesn't guarantee it will be safe for YOU. I'm not sure exactly what products you are looking at.

I am looking at the basic simplified methylation protocol (revised) and I have the following problems.
Hydroxy B12 Mega Drops - contains rosemary extract
MethylMate B - has natural strawberry flavour (I don't care how natural it is, fruit flavour is trouble for me)
General Vitamin Neurological Health Formula - the milk thistle, pine bark, L-carnitine and tumeric all stand out as potential trouble makers for me.

Does anyone know of an acceptable alternate for any of these products that doesn't have flavourings in them or a multi that has everything it needs for this protocol without the extra herbs?

The minute amount of rosemary extract is acting as an antibacterial. The hydroxyb12 isn't likely to help much no matter what is or isn't in it and methylmate B has problems too. Mostly wheter the carnitine works or not depends in part on havong the right brands and forms as well as adenosylb12. Hypersensitivity to drugs and foods typically disappears in weeks to months with methylb12, adb12 and methylfolate

Freddd

I noted in my introduction post how I am unable to take any drugs, and also have a sensitivity to preservatives and artificial additives. Some of the ingredients in the supplements look suspicious (potassium sorbate etc.. A further complication is sensitivity to anything "concentrated". If I take such supplements, they have to be dissolved well and taken with food, or else the concentrated substances may be too intense for my stomach.

Do you believe these chemicals can hurt me?

Hi Dmitri,

Many people have to take their vitamins well mixed with foods ot they have nausea. It must contain carbs and not protein foods. Vitamins taken with eggs, milk or meat alone will casue irritation.