• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to Make Liposomal Vitamin C

GhostGum

Doing a bit of digging today on liposomal curcumin I came across some interesting discussions on home made liposomal methods I thought were worth sharing.

Youtube clip on making liposomal Vit C,

Discussions on liposomal methods for different substances,

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/24509-homemade-liposomes/

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t6532-cool-diy-liposomal-c-recipe

Nice to know that if you are considering Vit C intravenous courses that you can make something just as effective at home without having to go to a doctor and pay a ridiculous price.

Need to read that longecity discussion about curcumin though since it appears to not be as simple as doing it with Vit C, but it opens up some interesting options for turning some bulk supplements into a much more bioavailable form.

dannybex

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious if anyone here has actually tried this method and if indeed it is as effective as IV vitamin C?

Thanks for posting this.

I'm curious if anyone here has actually tried this method and if indeed it is as effective as IV vitamin C?

Hi Danny,
I've made the liposomal C several times. It was fairly easy, after a bit of research into the process (I started with the video posted above, then went to the yahoo health group on liposomal vitamin c).

I used the lipo C for a few weeks, but had to use very small doses, as I was very hammered with increased fatigue after taking even a tablespoon. I can often take a fair amount of pretty much anything, but my reactions to the lipo C were pretty strong. I am hoping to resume taking it soon, but currently am hitting other treatments pretty hard, and needed a break so that I could still function at work. Now that my gcmaf responses have become more manageable, I plan to start the C again.

As far as a comparison to IV vitamin c, don't know, as I haven't tried those. I considered them, but the time element needed for IV infusions was more than I wanted to deal with...

GhostGum

I used the lipo C for a few weeks, but had to use very small doses, as I was very hammered with increased fatigue after taking even a tablespoon. I can often take a fair amount of pretty much anything, but my reactions to the lipo C were pretty strong. I am hoping to resume taking it soon, but currently am hitting other treatments pretty hard, and needed a break so that I could still function at work. Now that my gcmaf responses have become more manageable, I plan to start the C again.

Do you think it is helping over the mid/long term? I noticed one of the comments on that video which the uploader replied to was someone mentioning after using it experiencing cold like symptoms but that this was a good thing and part of the 'clean out'/herxheimer effect; wonder if this might be what is happening with you?

He also mentions that vit C uptakes slowly and that many smaller doses are better than one large one.

Do you think it is helping over the mid/long term? I noticed one of the comments on that video which the uploader replied to was someone mentioning after using it experiencing cold like symptoms but that this was a good thing and part of the 'clean out'/herxheimer effect; wonder if this might be what is happening with you?

He also mentions that vit C uptakes slowly and that many smaller doses are better than one large one.

I did feel it was helping, however, I try to not overtake my ability to manage the herx symptoms as I take a slow but steady approach. I don't get cold like symptoms, just increased fatigue and headaches and less functionality because of the fatigue. Even with the smaller doses of one teaspoon or so, I was getting pretty strong reactions. Since I was doing other treatments at the time, I just decided to give it a rest. I plan to resume again because I seem to be stronger now, and have noticed that I am in a place to better manage the herx reactions. I will keep you posted on how it goes...

stridor

I'm going to leave a lot of the reading and research for you to do. Many of us (particularly the mercury poisoned) are under high oxidative stress.
Some of us need larger amounts of Vit C than our guts will tolerate. This recipe will give you a product with up to 93% absorption. In other words we can achieve IV doses orally.

Liposomal means that the molecule is encapsulated in lipid. This turns Vit C from water-soluble to fat-soluble.

A couple of things.
First, Vit C is made up of 2 isomers a d-form and an L-form. Only the "l" form can be used. So, if I swallow 1000 mg of Vit C, about 50% is absorbed. Of this 50% is the useful l-form (now, we are down to 250 mg). Of this, some goes straight to the kidneys and is excreted having done nothing.
This recipe allows for 93% absorption, 100% is the l-form and therefore useful and since it is coated it passes through cell walls readily and is far more likely to be used and less likely to be excreted.

Second point - antioxidants are a concert and not a solo act. Take this with Vit E and/or Vit A at a minimum. An antioxidant donates an electron and then there is a risk that it can become oxidative itself if isolated from the rest of the orchestra.

What you need.
Pharmaceutical grade Vitamin C powder
non-GMO soy lecithin (you can use sunflower and will need to experiment with the quantity, but it works fine)
a jewelry cleaner = 40,000 oscillations Hz (on-line = about $30)
blender
a drinking straw
2 pint mason jars
funnel

Place 1 tbs of Vit C in cup of water into one mason jar
Place 1 tbs of lecithin and cup of water into second mason jar
Leave on countertop for 6 - 8 hours with occasional swirls or stirs - alternatively, place in fridge over night

Blend lecithin mixture for 30 - 45 seconds
Add Vit C and blend everything together for another 20 - 30 seconds
Pour half of this mixture or 1 cup into jewelry cleaner and work for 18 - 24 min stir every 2-3 min with straw.
Remove straw from mixture between stirring.
Do second cup the same way.
Pour into the jar used for the Vit C and refrigerate.

This will give you approx 1 gm/ounce. Each gram taken this way = nearly 10,000 mg IV

Problem solving:
"My final product is lumpy or has sediment on the bottom of the jar."
a) you used Vit C product that was buffered with Ca++ or something like that. Buy l-ascorbic acid powder only.
b) you stirred too much. Let the machine do its job.
c) you left the straw in the mixture and the lipid coalesced around it instead of the vitamin C.

Have fun. brad

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@stridor
I searched Google, I watched You tube vids, I found the equipment, compared prices, and...........................then I ordered Liposomal Vit C.:D

stridor

@maryb
It's all good, maryb!!! This recipe doesn't just happen on its own - that is for sure. But it turns an expensive supplement into one of the cheaper ones. For guys like me who have $70,000 in expenditures and lost wages, this helped a lot.
Besides...off work for a year and just sitting around, it wasn't like I had much else to do with my time :)
Still glad that you considered LVC. It is the way to go, particularly for those with bowel issues = IBS.

Abha

Abha
I'm going to leave a lot of the reading and research for you to do. Many of us (particularly the mercury poisoned) are under high oxidative stress.
Some of us need larger amounts of Vit C than our guts will tolerate. This recipe will give you a product with up to 93% absorption. In other words we can achieve IV doses orally.

Liposomal means that the molecule is encapsulated in lipid. This turns Vit C from water-soluble to fat-soluble.

A couple of things.
First, Vit C is made up of 2 isomers a d-form and an L-form. Only the "l" form can be used. So, if I swallow 1000 mg of Vit C, about 50% is absorbed. Of this 50% is the useful l-form (now, we are down to 250 mg). Of this, some goes straight to the kidneys and is excreted having done nothing.
This recipe allows for 93% absorption, 100% is the l-form and therefore useful and since it is coated it passes through cell walls readily and is far more likely to be used and less likely to be excreted.

Second point - antioxidants are a concert and not a solo act. Take this with Vit E and/or Vit A at a minimum. An antioxidant donates an electron and then there is a risk that it can become oxidative itself if isolated from the rest of the orchestra.

What you need.
Pharmaceutical grade Vitamin C powder
non-GMO soy lecithin (you can use sunflower and will need to experiment with the quantity, but it works fine)
a jewelry cleaner = 40,000 oscillations Hz (on-line = about $30)
blender
a drinking straw
2 pint mason jars
funnel

Place 1 tbs of Vit C in cup of water into one mason jar
Place 1 tbs of lecithin and cup of water into second mason jar
Leave on countertop for 6 - 8 hours with occasional swirls or stirs - alternatively, place in fridge over night

Blend lecithin mixture for 30 - 45 seconds
Add Vit C and blend everything together for another 20 - 30 seconds
Pour half of this mixture or 1 cup into jewelry cleaner and work for 18 - 24 min stir every 2-3 min with straw.
Remove straw from mixture between stirring.
Do second cup the same way.
Pour into the jar used for the Vit C and refrigerate.

This will give you approx 1 gm/ounce. Each gram taken this way = nearly 10,000 mg IV

Problem solving:
"My final product is lumpy or has sediment on the bottom of the jar."
a) you used Vit C product that was buffered with Ca++ or something like that. Buy l-ascorbic acid powder only.
b) you stirred too much. Let the machine do its job.
c) you left the straw in the mixture and the lipid coalesced around it instead of the vitamin C.

Have fun. brad

Hi Stridor,(Brad)

Thanks for explaining your Lipsomal Vitamin C recipe.
How long have you been doing/taking this and how much has it helped you?

stridor

@ Abha
LVC was one of my most important supplements during my first two years of chelation. I made errors in the early weeks of addressing mercury toxicity and one of these was not choosing the proper form of Vit C.
I was using a time-release product and was getting sicker each day. (I ended up losing effective adrenal function and since adrenals have one of the highest levels of Vit C, one has to wonder?).

Each week I went for IV vit C.... and each week I had one day that was livable. That is until someone told me about LVC. I experimented with it and came up with this recipe. You can add more Choline if you are like me and have MTHFD1++.

Wayne

I'm currently doing a lot of research on liposomal technology, particularly interested in liposomal C at the moment. But also interested in other liposomal products. I just read the following:
The new hot button anti-cancer supplement is Trans-Resveratrol. Trans-Resveratrol, like Curcumin causes apoptosis (cancer cell death), is fat soluble and extremely difficult to absorb. Studies show Liposomal Resveratrol reaching the blood stream at 10 to 20 times the levels of regular oral administration.
I'm also running into a number of references to liposomal curcumin. I would be interested in hearing any reports on any kind of liposomal products you're taking or have had success with. --- Thanks!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Does anyone find that Liposomal Vitamin C causes loose stools, much like regular Vitamin C? I just want to know what I can expect if I try it.

Raindrop

I have severe immune deficiency and lack several immunoglobulins. (Also have had
multiple upper respiratory infections in the last year and one now chronic long term)
I would like to know what people feel
or have learned from any experts is the *best* (for immunity and absorption) Vitamin C
to take. I have been on 2,000mg Ester-C for 2 or 3 years now. I was once recommended to
try "Lympo-Spheric Vitamin c (Have a sample of 1,000 mg packets by Live On Laboratories out of Henderson, NV.)
I gather that this is supposed to be superior to the Ester-C? I am not sure how to compare doseage and
can't remember.....you put this in 8 (or less?) ounces of plain water? I really don't have the energy
to mix a formula for myself. Would appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks!

stridor

@Raindrop
So this is the same stuff that you can make with this recipe. It is the "gold standard" in terms of oral vitamin C. One packet is equal to 10,000 mg IV.
It doesn't matter how much water you mix it in. It is far superior to the Ester-C you were taking. brad

whodathunkit

I see that liposomal C is used by quite a few people on this board. I've used it myself in the past, so know it's expensive.

At the link below is a cheap, effective recipe for liposomal C. I haven't used it for a couple of years, but plan to start again soon. Yesterday I upped my vitamin C dosage (to 9000mg/day) to help combat the cold/flu symptoms I've been having, so don't think it's any coincidence that I seem to be feeling noticeably better tonight. Perhaps high-dose vitamin C plays or can play a bigger role in donut hole folate insufficiency than we know...?

Anyway, the recipe is here: http://www.pdazzler.com/archives/62

Pros are it's cheap and easy. Main drawback is the short shelf-life of the serum. It only lasts about a week in the refrigerator, and you should keep it in a light-proof bottle to keep the vitamin C from oxidizing. When it starts to turn orange that's it, it's done.

I plan to give this recipe another whirl tomorrow. I'll add high dose C to my regimen for a while to see how it does me.

Incidentally, I also upped my zinc (90 mg/day) for synergy with the C. I will only up my zinc that high for a few days, however.

It would be interesting to see if those suffering from acute donut hole are beneficially affected by adding at least high-dose C to their regimens for a while.