• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CMV auto immune

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
You got it!! Most doctors think it is completely impossible for these viruses to re-activate and they may have a little bit of validation in a completely health person, but we are not that case and it is one that needs to be fixed. My EBV and HHV-6 has been active for the most part of 3 years. If I get my disability next week I will have much larger pool of physicians to see (as compared to Medicaid) and I'm hoping that I can find someone to support the re-activation theory.

Here is an article that I had kept for a long time. Notice the quirk in the EBV re-activation!

http://labmed.ascpjournals.org/content/31/3/163.full.pdf

This article plainly states that any type of stress that impedes the immune system will allow the re-activation of EBV

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/63/6/891.full

Another good link, but more broader in scope. In reading these it becomes pretty apparent to me anyway that I feel that our compromised immune systems are allowing re-activation of many of our latent viruses.
A sticker point for me is that many people in stressful situations, such as taking exams and astronauts going into space both get stressed and get re-activated viruses such as EBV or CMV, but apparently their immune system recovers to push the viruses back into latency. However it is very obvious that this is not happening with us. Once the stressor drops the immune system it is not recovering. I want to know why???? This should have been a fore front study years ago.
Dr. Montoya is correct, at least to me, that our problem is with our inate immune system or possibly an abnormallity in the stressor that is not processed as a normal one should. I don't know, but it is a hell of a good place for someone to focus their research on. I wish their was a way to earmark funding that will have to used to study this in a very pinpoint manner.
This could explain why there is a releapse in the people that are taking Rituximab.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031243/

GhostGum

You got it!! Most doctors think it is completely impossible for these viruses to re-activate and they may have a little bit of validation in a completely health person, but we are not that case and it is one that needs to be fixed. My EBV and HHV-6 has been active for the most part of 3 years. If I get my disability next week I will have much larger pool of physicians to see (as compared to Medicaid) and I'm hoping that I can find someone to support the re-activation theory.

I am starting to think old opinions that these viruses pass, do not re-activate and do not have relation to disease development is nothing but a tendency to avoid consideration about what they do not know and that it is a much more complicated area than they would like to think; what is it with doctors who seem to think there is an obvious answer for everything?

Just seems that the actually mechanisms and activity that goes on in the body when these pathogens are picked up or reactivated is still far from being fully understood, not to mention the testing for many seems questionable let alone the fact treatments can be completely hit or miss and do nothing to stave off something long term.

Not only is it a great place for research in ME but other potential diseases possibly linked to viral pathogens, (MS, Schizophrenia) and for the general public as a whole. Clearly there are so many pathogens floating around in the human population causing all kinds of issues that surely the underlying mechanisms and similar disease characteristics that they can cause is worth massive attention.

Makes you consider how young science actually and how far we have to go sometimes but it seems many do not see it this way, that they have things nicely tucked away in their own mind and that life, biology, nature and science is not filled with many unknown variables; the idea that there are many things going on we do not understand makes many uncomfortable apparently.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I am starting to think old opinions that these viruses pass, do not re-activate and do not have relation to disease development is nothing but a tendency to avoid consideration about what they do not know and that it is a much more complicated area than they would like to think; what is it with doctors who seem to think there is an obvious answer for everything?

Just seems that the actually mechanisms and activity that goes on in the body when these pathogens are picked up or reactivated is still far from being fully understood, not to mention the testing for many seems questionable let alone the fact treatments can be completely hit or miss and do nothing to stave off something long term.

Not only is it a great place for research in ME but other potential diseases possibly linked to viral pathogens, (MS, Schizophrenia) and for the general public as a whole. Clearly there are so many pathogens floating around in the human population causing all kinds of issues that surely the underlying mechanisms and similar disease characteristics that they can cause is worth massive attention.

Makes you consider how young science actually and how far we have to go sometimes but it seems many do not see it this way, that they have things nicely tucked away in their own mind and that life, biology, nature and science is not filled with many unknown variables; the idea that there are many things going on we do not understand makes many uncomfortable apparently.

There is an obvious answer its those dam herpes viruses combined with a crap immune system.

EBV was only discovered in the 1960's but information on it in the 1970s shows it was dismissed with occassional references to MS or lupus as being more common in those people. maybe docs avoid it because they cant really treat it effectively. If they ignore it then it doesnt really happen, pass them onto the psychobabblers.

heapsreal

They say cold sores reactivate in times of stress but thats because its obvious as a spot on your lip and same with shingles. i dont know why they dont think it cant happen in ebv/cmv/hhv6.

August59

They say cold sores reactivate in times of stress but thats because its obvious as a spot on your lip and same with shingles. i dont know why they dont think it cant happen in ebv/cmv/hhv6.

On that one thread that you had originated had a study attached showing EBV can re-activate in people getting ready to take exams or when astronauts had re-activated EBV before during and after the space flight. But, soon there after there immune system shut it down again.

It appears to me that EBV is easily re-activated but it is supose to be easy for the body to put it back into remission. Well that is one thing that is obviously not happenig. Is that the TH1 shift to TH2 immunity.

Sometime this stuff seems to be so simple on paper, but impossible in real life. My personal opinion is that our immune system has become altered either by genetics, environmental factors or a combination of these and somewhere cortisol is playing a part in it to.

Do keep us posted on the phosphytilserine treatments???

ETA: In your post above in reference to cold sores. High periods of stress was a sure fired way to get a cold sore for me anyway. They other way was to come down with a cold or a boubt of tonsilitis and "BAM" there it was. I never had a cold sore unless either one of these 2 things were going on. So again a stressful situation that is raising cortisol, adrenaline or norephinepherine was causing the cold sore to develop. There has to be clues in here about something the research community should be looking at.

heapsreal

When i first saw my cfs doc i see now and explained to him how i had 3 infection close together and tests to back it up, he said that its a common occurrence cause of cfs. The immune system gets damaged and or while the body if fighting one infection and lets its guard down and another can take hold and go 'deeper' then it normally would. I ironically i had cmv mono and was still in a post viral state (study above says how cmv can supress the immune system) when i got chicken pox for the second time of my life and then ebv not long after that. Several other docs i mentioned this too and was told those infections werent relevant and that i had depression, What THE!!

August59

We evidently get it, but mainstream medicine does not have a clue! If I hopefully get my disabilty soon I'm going to really polish my HPA and try very hard to keep it there. I definitely believe phosphitylserine (or the complex if I can't afford pure serine. I'm going to do what it takes to balance my cortisol curve.

I'm going to clear the brain somewhat with NMDA antagonist, probably memantine

What I can't wrap my head around is what to do to coach the immune system back towards a more TH-1 environment. This might be where rituximab or something comes into play. I just don't know, but I have plenty of work to do prior to getting to that point cause I'm not going to hurry it. I have had this mess for 7 or 8 years and I don't expect it to go away in a couple of weeks.

SOC

We evidently get it, but mainstream medicine does not have a clue! If I hopefully get my disabilty soon I'm going to really polish my HPA and try very hard to keep it there. I definitely believe phosphitylserine (or the complex if I can't afford pure serine. I'm going to do what it takes to balance my cortisol curve.

I'm going to clear the brain somewhat with NMDA antagonist, probably memantine

What I can't wrap my head around is what to do to coach the immune system back towards a more TH-1 environment. This might be where rituximab or something comes into play. I just don't know, but I have plenty of work to do prior to getting to that point cause I'm not going to hurry it. I have had this mess for 7 or 8 years and I don't expect it to go away in a couple of weeks.

Don't forget about Th-17. It may be a major player in our immune problems.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19132915
Annu Rev Immunol. 2009;27:485-517.
IL-17 and Th17 Cells.

Korn T, Bettelli E, Oukka M, Kuchroo VK.
Source

Technical University Munich, Department of Neurology, 81675 Munich, Germany. korn@lrz.tum.de

Abstract
CD4+ T cells, upon activation and expansion, develop into different T helper cell subsets with different cytokine profiles and distinct effector functions. Until recently, T cells were divided into Th1 or Th2 cells, depending on the cytokines they produce. A third subset of IL-17-producing effector T helper cells, called Th17 cells, has now been discovered and characterized. Here, we summarize the current information on the differentiation and effector functions of the Th17 lineage. Th17 cells produce IL-17, IL-17F, and IL-22, thereby inducing a massive tissue reaction owing to the broad distribution of the IL-17 and IL-22 receptors. Th17 cells also secrete IL-21 to communicate with the cells of the immune system. The differentiation factors (TGF-beta plus IL-6 or IL-21), the growth and stabilization factor (IL-23), and the transcription factors (STAT3, RORgammat, and RORalpha) involved in the development of Th17 cells have just been identified. The participation of TGF-beta in the differentiation of Th17 cells places the Th17 lineage in close relationship with CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells (Tregs), as TGF-beta also induces differentiation of naive T cells into Foxp3+ Tregs in the peripheral immune compartment. The investigation of the differentiation, effector function, and regulation of Th17 cells has opened up a new framework for understanding T cell differentiation. Furthermore, we now appreciate the importance of Th17 cells in clearing pathogens during host defense reactions and in inducing tissue inflammation in autoimmune disease.
[my bolding]