• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and vaccination - secret papers deny funding.

currer

Valerie Eliot Smith
"Dear Christina - please note that the file to which you are referring was partially opened up in 2007 and again in 2010, when more information was made available.
The redacted portions have been fully reviewed and, so far, they cannot be made available because the information contained was given in confidence as part of research proposals. This means it is protected under fundamental Intellectual Property rights unless the original authors give permission for it to revealed. That has happened in some cases, which is why more of the file was opened up, but not in all cases - hence the remaining redactions. The stamps saying until "closed until 2071" occur at points in the file where information has been redacted. The stamp is a requirement to highlight where this has taken place.
This file was reviewed in the same way as all files which are in the process of being archived by public authorities (under the Freedom of Information Act 2000). Each file is considered and, if it contains confidential information under the Act, then it is closed for an appropriate period of time with reasons given. Under the Act, anyone can apply to have the file reviewed again with a view to getting it re-opened.
The full file can viewed online at The National Archives website. Its reference number is FD/23/4553. It is NOT a secret file.
I am a British lawyer who has lived with ME/CFS for over 30 years. I am the person who did the investigation into this file (and another) and discovered that this file was, in fact, publicly available - despite many false rumours to the contrary.
I send you my best wishes for your work"

Wifi123

I also meant to add, that in most vaccinations mercury is added, which gets into your blood and tissue and this metal becomes a conductor. Usually, you find that many of ME/CFS sufferers also have amalgam fillings and dental caps fitting on a metal cap, and most other non-amalgam fillings are metal-based; therefore, the radiation cuts through the metal in your mouth the same as the action in a battery called electrosis, and it release the metal ions of the metal into your blood stream and tissue and once again causes your body to become an antenna, causing a breakdown of the human electrical circuit, and destroyed the nerve ends of the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system, which usually causes extreme fatigue.

SilverbladeTE

*some* severe sufferers so report sensitivity to EMF
those living in EMF free (or free as can be done practically) do not get "Cured" (ie EMF isn't the cause of ME)

and um, no, reason mercury fillings produce a current is because of the *acids and alkalis in your mouth!* it's CHEMICAL reaction. Exactly the same as sticking a copper and iron electrode into a lemon.
it's also hard proof of why mercurys in't safe.

and, "mercury in your blood" doesn't become a conductor...ye gods...
the amount is too tiny, there is no connection, you don't have ariver of mercury in yer blood!
you get mercury in various salts/forms deposited in your body, especially in some tissue types, but it's stoll dispersed as heck
your body conducts electricty (poorly) because it has a vast network of salty water going through it: BLOOD
and hell of a lot more iron in it than mercury, if we had as much mercuy as iron, we'd be dead.

TYPOS fixed and highlighted areas, for WIfi123's benefit

Wait a minute!

There HAS been a recent release of information from the 'secret files' (therefore, it WAS secret until the other day), and there are files that ARE still secret. Most of the most highly respected scientists, researchers and campaigners are very well informed on this matter. (See, for example Margaret Williams's article at http://www.investinme.org/Article-358%20The%20MRC%20and%20Secret%20Files%20on%20ME.htm )

I searched the The National Archives website for the file FD/23/4553 as suggested, but drew a blank. Not sure what to make of that!

However, the Invest in Me website also has information confirming the existence of the files still secret: http://www.investinme.org/Article-358 The MRC and Secret Files on ME Archives.htm (Extract: "Item details FD 23/4553/1... Closed extracts: 40 pages... Access Closed For 73 years (until: 01 Jan 2071)... This document was closed under the Public Records Act or is exempt under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. It is possible to request a review of the information it contains under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and this will trigger a review.")

On the same website, you can also find an article on the recently released stuff http://www.investinme.org/Article 460 - National Archives Home.htm Extract: "Valerie Eliot Smith has recently applied and succeeded in getting the National Archives to release information between the Department of Health and some individuals regarding ME... These documents, released under the Freedom of Information act, are quite telling... There is little doubt that a whole generation of sick and vulnerable patients have been adversely affected by decisions and dogma introduced between 1984 and 1992..."

Just a few days ago, I attended the ME Association's ME Question Time in Shrewsbury and asked the panel their opinion on the contents of the secret files. Dr Charles Shepherd, who was clearly very well informed on the matter, confirmed that files from the DWP had been released, but there were files from the MRC that were still secret.

I have also asked other national ME experts and their answers are interesting, mainly suspecting the links between the Government, the insurance industry, chemical corporations and others who would stand to face massive lawsuits if the links between ME and toxins (including organophosphates), vaccinations etc were demonstrated. Also, with the numbers of pwME already staggering and the real figure likely to be way higher, governments and insurance companies here and in the US need minimise payouts. Damage limitation would obviously be easier if ME could be labelled as a psychosomatic and real objective tests supressed... Cue the presence of the psychiatric lobby at the same time as the media smear campaign began and the appearance of secret files.

Its not hard to find high grade information on line from reliable sources.

The secret files cannot be dismissed as rumour.

Goodluck to all in the search for the truth!
xxx

snowathlete

What we need is people like this lawyer and other people with the right skills to work together to help us apply pressure to get these files. A coordinated effort of all the people interested and with the right skills would help alot IMO,.

alex3619

I am a British lawyer who has lived with ME/CFS for over 30 years. I am the person who did the investigation into this file (and another) and discovered that this file was, in fact, publicly available - despite many false rumours to the contrary.

Hi currer, I have read two releases of the redacted files, and they are substantially as you say. There was however an earlier claim that in one release it was revealed in 1992 I think, that Dr. Behan was contacted by a un-named vaccine developer who had nearly 100% CFS onset from the vaccine. I was never able to validate that claim. Was it a rumour? Was it a misinterpretation? Was it hastily redacted? I simply do not know. However, the vaccine claim comes from someone associated with Dr Behan - that certainly raises questions.

The point about redacted and secret files is many things are still not in public view. We are only speculating as to what is in them unless we have actually seen them.

Bye, Alex

currer

Hi currer, I have read two releases of the redacted files, and they are substantially as you say. There was however an earlier claim that in one release it was revealed in 1992 I think, that Dr. Behan was contacted by a un-named vaccine developer who had nearly 100% CFS onset from the vaccine. I was never able to validate that claim. Was it a rumour? Was it a misinterpretation? Was it hastily redacted? I simply do not know. However, the vaccine claim comes from someone associated with Dr Behan - that certainly raises questions.

The point about redacted and secret files is many things are still not in public view. We are only speculating as to what is in them unless we have actually seen them.

Bye, Alex

Hi Alex,

I remember Dr Behan, a researcher in Britiain who poineered much biomedical research into ME but I cannot remember anything about a vaccine connection.
It would be nice to find out more.

In the early days Dr Shepherd of the UK ME association was aware of ME developing following vacination and tried to get compensation for those cases. He helped with legal cases, so the vaccine companies would certainly have been made aware (if they were not already) of the link by the early nineties.

There was also interest at the time in organophosphate exposure and ME.
But as time has passed the links between government and business have grown and the liklihood of citizens winning a case for compensation vanishingly small.
And as societies have all moved to the right politically, this disempowerment of the citizen is accepted.

Concealment of any incriminating evidence, secrecy, and control of the direction of medical research are all part of this.

Wifi123

I am sorry SB, but I did read your posting, and I have read many secret archival material as well, and much have either been reclassified or so how or another just disappeared. I can remember an incident during national service how high percentage of members of one particular intake all became ill and suffered from then on, and it was discovered that the intake was used as guinea pigs for a vaccination, and all archive material doesn't seem to exist. Normally all vaccinations have mercury in them, particularl flu vaccinations. So when you spoke of mercury, I thought you need to know of other forms of ingestion that has been causing a multitude of illnesses which are a health risk. Anyway Freedom of Information should be able to have that material released?

Bye, Alex

Hi Mr Alex3619, it is not a rumour - Behan said this at the 1992 CIBA meeting - It is FACT.

To get back to the OP's original subject, I have wondered since getting sick with ME/CFS if it was in part or in whole because of the many vaccinations I had been given. Before I left on a work trip to Indonesia I had vaccinese for Hep B, H1N1, the Flu, Tetanus, Cholera and I think one or two others as well. I'd have to check my records to be sure of the extra ones. I travel for work so I am use to getting vaccines. What was strange was having so many all at once. I felt a bit unwell the first 24 hrs but that is all. Three weeks away and I was fine the whole trip. In Indonesia I was bit by a monkey but didn't think much of it. 24 hours after getting back home I just collapsed with fever. To make a long story short, eventually it was thought I had dengue fever. But then the doctors got more worried about the monkey bite because the area had a rabies outbreak. So I was also given a series of rabies globulin shots and then rabies vaccines over a period of 4 weeks. They were also worried because they new this populations of monkyes was reported to be all infected with the Semian B Herpes Virus. I am still alive so i guess the monkey didn't transmit anything to me. Over a year of monthly blood tests showed nothing for the Semian B. In August of 2011, I finally got the diagnosis of ME/CFS.

My ME/CFS told me that he suspects that the cause could have been the combination of the vaccinations and the dengue fever illness. But he told me there is nothing to prove it. Other health professionals told me that it is against proper procedure to administer a vaccine - especially one like rabies - to someone who is already ill. It is now coming up on 3 years in March since I first got ill. On my doctor's orders, I have not had any vaccinations since then. I personally believe that had I not had all those vaccinations, I would not have gotten ME/CFS. But personally believe will not win anything in a court of law without any conclusive studies. The drug and vaccine industry is big money. I have no doubt they will go a long ways to prevent any research showing a relationship between our illness and their vaccines.

I will not tell my children not to get vaccines for serious illnesses but to be careful about taking a concoction of them like I did over a short period. I think vaccines, when used on a very specific as needed basis, do more good than harm.

alex3619

Hi Mr Alex3619, it is not a rumour - Behan said this at the 1992 CIBA meeting - It is FACT.

Hi notfinite, that is something I would like to confirm. Does anyone have any evidence of this? I suspect its correct, but suspecting and proving are two different things.

If anyone has such evidence but doesn't want to be named publicly, please send it to me via personal message. After I have confirmed receipt, then delete your comment.

elbosque, each dose of vaccine gives you additional adjuvants, which are immune activating agents. If you have a virus, and multiple adjuvants, operating at the same time, then the combined effect will be a huge signal to the immune system - similar to having multiple viruses at the same time. For some of us that appears to be way too much, and our immune systems go into overdrive.

Bye, Alex

currer

I dont personally know that many other people with ME any longer, but of the small number I do know, four of them became ill following a hepatitis B vaccination.
I became ill following a tetanus vaccination. I never made the connection between these events until years afterwards, when I came onto this forum and read the Shepherd piece here.

Whatever the truth about this connection, the suppression of this knowledge can only work to the advantage of industry and the disempowerment of the citizen.

Think what difficulty we have to justify our right to benefit to have enough to live on, we cannot usually work, we are sick for years, many of us have lost everything.
Think how many of us there are - and what we would cost industry in compensation or damages claims if this connection were to be accepted..

http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr1-article03.asp
This data (although unpublished) suggests that tetanus, typhoid, influenza, and hepatitis B are the most commonly implicated vaccines in cases of CFS.

Is CFS Linked to Vaccinations?By Charles Shepherd, MD,ME Association, United Kingdom

There is widespread agreement that a variety of infections are capable of precipitating chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in susceptible individuals. In l988, Lloyd et al reported that several of their patients had linked the onset of CFS to receiving a vaccination in the absence of any coincidental infection.l Since then, other anecdotal reports have also linked vaccinations to the onset of CFS.2,3

currer

Hepatitis B.
http://abreathofhope.blogspot.co.uk/2005/01/hepatitis-b-vaccinations-dr-shepherd.html

The following article was posted 4th October 2004 at the website of the M.E. Association:

As indicated in our recent news item on hepatitis B vaccination and MS, Dr Shepherd has written to the editor of the British Medical Journal:

The results of the study (1) which suggest that hepatitis B vaccination (HBV) acts as a possible precipitating factor in the development of multiple sclerosis raise four important questions for the vaccine manufacturers and the regulatory authorities.

First is to what extent does HBV increase the risk of other autoimmune and neurological disorders. The manufacturers already acknowledge that such adverse events do occasionally occur, and there are numerous anecdotal reports in the medical literature linking HBV to serious conditions such as encephalitis (2), sero-negative arthropathy (3) and systemic lupus erythematosus (4). And as a physician with a particular interest in vaccine-induced myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome, I now have details on a considerable number of people with this condition who predate the onset, or an exacerbation of pre- existing symptoms, to HBV (5).

Second is whether there are any reasons why HBV should be more likely to cause autoimmune and neurological complications when compared to other vaccines. A hypersensitivity reaction to the mercury-based preservative thiomersal in HBV is one possibility. Another possible explanation is that some individuals are genetically predisposed to such reactions - in a similar way to those who do not produce an adequate immune response to HBV - and that antigenic stimulation with HBV results in a pathological process, possibly involving immune complex formation, that leads to clinical disease

currer

http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr1-article03.asp

This data (although unpublished) suggests that tetanus, typhoid, influenza, and hepatitis B are the most commonly implicated vaccines in cases of CFS.

I have reports of very few cases involving hepatitis A (using immunoglobulin), polio, or rubella vaccine, or those predominantly given during childhood—-with the possible exception of Bacillus Calmette--Guerin vaccine (three cases).

It does not look as if childhood vaccines are associated with this problem.

currer

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/lipkin-bad-news-folks.19407/page-21#post-303095
(I think some of these ideas from this thread are relevant to this discussion. They concern immunity, autoimmunity, infection, challenges to the immune system, and genetic predisposition.)
Lipkin has recently been quoted as saying he thinks ME might be a neuropsychiatric disorder.

Lipkin in a recent Discover Interview.

Your newest research looks at a particularly insidious set of chronic diseases that can result from infection in the womb. These diseases can produce lifelong psychiatric effects. How does that work?

The connection between prenatal infection and damage to the fetus has long been known. Exposure to syphilis, at its most extreme, results in stillbirth. Prenatal exposure to infections could result in microcephaly [a neurodevelopmental disorder in which the circumference of the head is smaller than normal]. But if the damage is more subtle, subtle changes in behavior can result. The child is still breathing, the child is walking, the locomotor function is not so abnormal that it’s incompatible with life in our culture. There was a time when these children would have died in utero, but now they survive, and you see some of these abnormalities come to the fore.​
Have we reached the point where we can link specific infections to specific psychiatric disorders?

No, the connection is much more complex. When I worked with LCMV, it became clear that any sort of perturbation could damage the nervous system. Nerves find their way to specific locations through signposts that are part of the immune system. And if you increase immunological molecules of certain types, a nerve may jog this way as opposed to the way it’s supposed to go. It may not make a difference what the infectious agent is—bacterial, viral, or parasitic.​

If the identity of the infection isn’t critical, what is?

The important things are the genetic background of the individual and the timing of the insult. If you look at the original work on the epidemiology of thalidomide [a morning-sickness drug that turned out to cause birth defects], there were specific time points where, if the woman was exposed, the baby had a high probability of having bona fide autism.​
One of the most fascinating links between infection and mental disease concerns PANDAS, pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders. The bottom line is that strep might cause obsessive-
compulsive disorder. How could that happen?

An infection like strep throat provokes an antibody response, but the antibody created to fight the strep also recognizes proteins that are part of your body. Antibodies don’t typically traffic much in the central nervous system. But if you have any one of a number of other infections or an insult like head trauma, the blood-brain barrier [which normally protects the brain from pathogens] opens transiently. Depending on how long and where the opening is, the antibodies get access to part of the central nervous system or brain. We are studying this process now in mice, using drugs to open up a portion of the hindbrain or the forebrain or the hippocampus and tracking the effect.​
Could autism be another version of a PANDAS-like disease?

It’s possible, in some people. There is probably a group of people who have a genetic component to autism, and for them, there may not be much of a trigger or any trigger at all required. Another group is genetically predisposed, and if they encounter some factor or factors, individually or in combination, it could result in either the onset or the aggravation of the neurodevelopmental disorder; by factors, I include everything from heavy metals to infection. And lastly, there is a group that may be relatively or entirely normal but is exposed prenatally to some factor or factors that have an effect on their nervous system and that manifests as autism. This is the hypothesis, at least.​

currer

Both Dr. Lipkin, who is a board certified neurologist, and Dr. Hornig, who is a board certified psychiatrist, stress that while they believe ME/CFS is a neuropsychiatric disorder because of the problems with concentration, memory and autonomic nervous system involvement, they do not consider it psychosomatic. “It’s very difficult in my mind to make this a psychological disorder,” said Dr. Hornig,“We do patients a disservice if we focus solely on secondary phenomena of being disabled or being unable to carry on life to your capacity – that shouldn’t ever be viewed as being the primary problem.”​
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/me-a-neuropsychiatric-illness.19792/