• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metametix GI Test Results - SCFA??

Can anyone shed some light on my results?

Attachments

• GI Function Test.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 16
Yes, I was eating a pretty low carb diet. Since then I have been on a the Low Sulfur diet, juicing twice a day, eating more squash, vegetables and limiting animal protein to 6 oz a day.This seems to to have fixed my issues with constipation.

But the low SCFA's, is that all it is, low fiber? That seems to the trend I was finding in my report. I just wasn't sure what the Acetate (high), Valterate (low) meant.

globalpilot

Yes, I was eating a pretty low carb diet. Since then I have been on a the Low Sulfur diet, juicing twice a day, eating more squash, vegetables and limiting animal protein to 6 oz a day.This seems to to have fixed my issues with constipation.

But the low SCFA's, is that all it is, low fiber? That seems to the trend I was finding in my report. I just wasn't sure whaot the Acetate (high), Valterate (low) meant.

Both low fiber and polysaccharides (which are starches).
Maybe the low SCFAs were just from your diet.
According to Sarah Myhills site it is only soluble fiber that gets fermented
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Fermentation_in_the_gut_and_CFS
You can look up soluble fiber and see if you were eating much of that.
I know lettuce is not soluble but beans/lentils are.

Thank you both! The link above was very helpful! When I took the test, I had been eating a lot of protein, celery, cucumbers, salads and usually one serving of broccoli or asparagus for dinner. I have since then been following a low sulfur diet and reduced my protein, added seeds like chia and sunflower, lots of squashes and juicing approved vegetables. I feel pretty good with this combination. I can't seem to handle fibers like oat bran & psyllium though as they make me constipated. I was also using a product called PGX for a while, but felt like it made me gassy and bloated.