• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bloodwork results - what next?

taniaaust1

There is a coagulation studies panel which any blood lab where your doctor gets his tests done should be able to do.. My coagulation panel shows my prothrombin time out of normal range (coagulates faster).

My A.P.T.T. on that coagulation studies panel thou was normal but on a A.P.T.T. that was done as part of a normal hospitals haematology report.. on that one my A.P.T.T. was abnormal. normal range 26-39 .. mine was at 24.

Of cause me having the crappy doctors Ive had.. this abnormalties were ignored and one was even put down to possible lab error, they didnt even ask if my previous coagulation test in that area had been abnormal too (those two times thou are the only times Ive had coagulation tested).

Interestingly before ME, I was a bleeder and had unusual haemorrages (needed a blood tranfusion one time) and I also had some surgery done due my bleeding issues (my tonsils were taken out cause my nose kept badly leeding.. yeah it dont make sense to me either but the severe nose bleeds I used to get did stop when they took them out) now Im the opposite.

Ema,

Also note that Armour was re-formulated in 2009 and since then some people have found that Naturethroid or Erfa (Canadian Armour) are working better for them.
Thanks for pointing that out. My doctor actually ended up prescribing Naturethroid for me because it apparently doesn't contain corn?

I also like ashwagandha and it may also help with the thyroid...but what else is in that formula?
I take a formula called Healthy Vata by Banyan Botanicals: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1311
It has:
Each 500 mg tablet contains: Ashwagandha root (Withania somnifera)**,Shatavari root (Asparagus racemosus)**, Vidari Kanda root (Ipomoea digitata)**, Brahmi leaf (Centella asiatica)**, Guduchi stem (Tinospora cordifolia)**, Kapikacchu seed (Mucuna pruriens)**, Cardamom seed (Elettaria cardamomum)**, Pippali fruit

Does it seem like a decent formula? It's the only one I've ever tried, and like the fact that the company uses organic ingredients.

Hi,
I had some of the same tests you had and some you haven't. Of these, the most helpful to me were:
- Heavy metals, particularly if there's been chronic exposure to mercury such as amalgams or through the diet
- Amino acid profile, deficiencies due to diet (was vegetarian), digestion etc. can severely impair detoxification and make recovery difficult
- Rather than chasing individual viruses (which I did for a time but in the end you can't get rid of them) I'd test Nagalase. Although it is experimental, it could explain a reason your immune system can't deal with those chronic infections, whatever they are.
- Rich would probably suggest a Methylation panel (see Methylation section for details)

Regarding your Dnase results, you may find relevant what Annesse Brokley has to say. She wrote a book "Autoimmune the Cause and the Cure" where she explains a theory linking Dnase and autoimmune disease.
All the best

xrunner,

Interesting that you should mention the toxic metals because I just got the results back on my hair test. The results show high levels of ARSENIC! In addition, I have mid-range levels of uranium and aluminum. I showed the results to my doc and he mentioned that we should maybe not detox/treat the Arsenic just yet? I'm not sure why. What would you do?

I've been vegetarian for over 14 years now, and just recently went vegan last year (in addition to being on a gluten free, nightshade-free diet). After reading from many different sources that recovery is difficult on a vegan diet, I've decided to add chicken (hormone-free, "fancy" organic chicken) back into my diet. Very tough decision, but if it makes any difference in my recovery I'm willing to make changes.

Regarding the DNASE results, those were in reference to Strep antibodies. However, the pancreatic DNASE idea is intriguing. I ended up purchasing the book you suggested by Annesse Brockley and I'm only half-way through but find it very interesting! Thanks!

xrunner

You're welcome frenchmoxie.
Me too, it took some blood tests (and my angry gp) to convince me go back to eating meat.
Despite supplementing with various protein powders, I really started to detox only after changing the diet. I think Annesse's book has some sensible and helpful dietary advice.

Regarding heavy metals, I don't feel I have enough expert knowledge to suggest something practical.
It seems to me that because most of us have been ill for such a long time there's a number of things that may be wrong with us, call it cumulative damage. Rectifying it all takes time and ain't easy but I can't see how we can get well otherwise.

Perhaps you may find helpful reading Andy Cutler's book "Amalgam Illness". It's about mercury mainly but there are some references to other heavy metals.
There's also a yahoo group following the Andy Cutler low-dose frequent chelation protocol where you could ask directly for specific detox advice. There are some knowledgeable people posting there.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/frequent-dose-chelation/

I believe you also need a methylation cycle in good working order to help detox heavy metals and other toxins, on this board there's a forum and people who can guide you through that.
This is the latest update on the protocol http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=17178

all the best

Ema

I take a formula called Healthy Vata by Banyan Botanicals: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1311
It has:

Does it seem like a decent formula? It's the only one I've ever tried, and like the fact that the company uses organic ingredients.

If it's making you feel better, then it's probably OK for you. If not, I would think about trying something new. There are literally dozens of formulas meant to support the adrenals and what works best for one may not be the best choice for another. If it were me, I would focus on the autoimmune thyroiditis first along with DHEA and melatonin for the adrenals and then work on herbs etc after that is more settled.

I don't recognize many of the ingredients so I would suggest googling each one with the word "cortisol" or "thyroid" to see what interactions or effects you might expect. Mucuna pruriens affects dopamine, I know.

There's no way to know how much of each ingredient is contained in that 500 mg proprietary blend either which always irritates me.

Your low WBC, low RBC, high MCV, high MCH are similar to what mine were.
I was able to get those in range using 800 mg folinic acid per day.
I stopped folinic acid and my levels returned to their pre-folinic levels.

Hi globalpilot,

Do you mean that you were able to get all FOUR markers into the normal range (as in the low WBC and low RBC) as well as RBC markers? Just wanted to clarify. Thanks!