• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Generic Valtrex- As Effective as name brand?

TheMoonIsBlue

I wonder if anyone could chime in who is taking generic valtrex (valacyclovir) It went generic not too long ago and it looks like the following manufacturers are producing it:

Aurobindo Pharma
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories
Matrix Laboratories, Limited
Mylan Pharmaceuticals
Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Sandoz
Teva Pharmaceuticals
Watson Laboratories.

There may be others, especially in different countries, but I just copied what I read online and I think these are the ones available in the US. I read about Cipla in another post but I can't seem to find anything online about this generic in the US.

Anyone have an opinion on which generic brands seem to be as effective as brand Valtrex? Or perhaps if you tried a generic and it didn't perform as well as the brand or another generic?

I supposed it will be harder to determine if people are taking it for EBV without seeing how their bloodwork looks. If a person was taking it for GH, I'm sure a person could determine right away if a generic wasn't working well :) lol

Thanks

jstefl

I would like to know how others are doing on the generics also. I started the generic made by Cipla about a month ago. After taking Valcyte for eight months without having any problems several years ago, I thought that Generic Valtrex would be a breeze. Since my doctor wants noting to do with my medical condition, I ordered the drugs thru an offshore pharmacy.

All was well for two weeks after I started. I began taking two 1 Gram tablets a day for a week, then cut back to one a day. After the second week, I began having mild headaches in the morning. The headaches got worse every day, until I stopped the drug for a couple of days. The headaches went away immediately. I restarted after two days and was able to take the drug for two days before the headaches came back. I am now taking a one week break, and will try again after that.

The drug does seem to be working when I can tolerate it.

I don't know if the headaches are a result of poor drug quality or just the nature of the illness I have. I have been considering switching to the real Valtrex to find out, but am not sure that I want to waste the cash.

I would love to hear about other peoples experiences.

John

TheMoonIsBlue

The only one I have tried so far is Ranbaxy.......

I was on the brand Valtrex years ago.

Headaches do seem to be a common complaint with the drug- both brand and generic it seems. When I was on the brand valtrex I would often get a short of dull headache.

The only complaint I have read online so far about any particular generic is Sandoz....from someone taking it for GH who said they seemed to be getting outbreaks since switching.

Jenny

I've been on valacyclovir for a year. For 6 months I was on Sandoz, 1 gm a day. Then, last June this was increased to 2gm a day, still Sandoz brand. 3 months ago I read somewhere that Dr Lerner has better results with other brands - Teva was one of them but I can't remember the other. So I changed to 2gm a day of Teva brand and have been on that for the last 3 months.

I have improved a bit over the last year, but I've been doing a lot of other things too. I haven't improved any more since changing to the Teva brand though, but I'm always worse in the winter.

Timaca

Hi John~
I'm on generic valtrex. I started at 250 mg (cut a tablet in half). About 6 weeks into it I upped the dose to 500 mg. This past Wednesday I upped it another 250 mg. I did have a significant herx about a week into starting it (severe pain in the trunk area and bad nausea). A milder herx hit at 500 mg (much less a problem). We'll see what this increase brings herx wise (if anything). I *think* the drug manufacturer may be Ranbaxy, as the bottle is labeled: valacyclovir 500 mg tab RAN. But, I'm not sure if that is the drug company or not. I have not had headaches from this drug. (Starting oxymatrine did result in significant headaches for me.)

Best, Timaca

Hi. I've been taking the generic form since April 2011. I sourced it online because I can't afford it otherwise. I took Genovir (from India) for 9 months to start with until that source dried up. I felt great on it for the first three weeks then got sick with headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint pain and so on but persevered because I'd been told that getting this kind of reaction early on was a predictor of a good outcome. After a week or two I picked up dramatically and continued to improve on it. Around the four or five month mark I had terrible stomach problems and was advised to go off it for a couple of weeks then restart, which I did. After that no problems and great gains again, with the odd few days of feeling unwell on it now and then, then bouncing back better than before each time. In Feb my source dried up and I had to go off it for 3 months. I was very worried about relapsing but in fact continued to heal and make gains during the abstinence period, and restarted two months ago, sourcing the Cipla Valcivir from the UK this time. Same as before, felt great for a month then got very sick for two weeks, dragging myself around and headaches, dizziness, justnwanting to lie down and sleep all the time. Just when I had decided that either I could no longer tolerate it or it was a bad batch, poor quality, i was being poisoned, or something like that and I would have to stop, I woke the next morning feelimg like a new woman and have been feeling absolutely wonderful since. It's been an godsend for me this drug. I've been sick nearly 30 years so didn't hold out much hope as the longer you've been ill the less likely it'll work but it has exceeded my wildest expectations really. I am totally pain free and have been for about six months. Pain (crippling fibromyalgic arthritic type) has been my constant companion for 25 years, only morphine could shift it. Its gone. I truly think I'm recovering for real. I wouldn't have believed it. You need to drink two liters of water a day on it and rest as much as you can.

Oh and I take 1000 mg three times a day as recommended by my doc. I note that Martin Lerner thinks a fourth dose is essential, I.e 4 times a day. Hmmm....
Lisa, I am seeing Dr. Lerner as well and along with Valcyte, he has also prescribed 1000 mg 4 time a day of Valtrex. I honestly feel that is excessive for long periods of time. I have been taking Valtrex for 16 months, but have to confess that I am not taking it four times per day, only three.

Vojta

I've been taking generic valaciclovir by Apotex (availible in EU) since June. I was prescribed 500mg 3times day. But I don't have any side effects so far. I know it is too early to say if it works. But is there anyone who got better and didn't have adverse effects during treatment? At my next appointment I going to ask for higher doses for me and I will also consider possibility to switch to original brand.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've been taking generic valaciclovir by Apotex (availible in EU) since June. I was prescribed 500mg 3times day. But I don't have any side effects so far. I know it is too early to say if it works. But is there anyone who got better and didn't have adverse effects during treatment? At my next appointment I going to ask for higher doses for me and I will also consider possibility to switch to original brand.
I got no adverse effects when i used famvir but it was a slow and steady improvement.

LisaGoddard

Hi, I took generic valtrex for about six months which I had ordered from India and it had no effect whatsoever. it was from Rx pharmacy online. I don't know if that was because the product was poor or it wasn't for me or I needed to take it longer.

heapsreal

Hi, I took generic valtrex for about six months which I had ordered from India and it had no effect whatsoever. it was from Rx pharmacy online. I don't know if that was because the product was poor or it wasn't for me or I needed to take it longer.

I tried a generic valtrex after improving on famvir, i did this at the time as valtrex was cheaper. It didnt work and i went backwords but i dont think it was the fault of valtrex but the viruses i had ebv and cmv. Valtrex is good for ebv but if u have the others i think u need famvir to get results. If negative to other herpes viruses other then ebv and valtrex isnt helping then one should look for other bacterial co-infections, this is what dr lerner has found in his work. Antibiotics maybe needed for this before improvement is seen. Some docs dont think testing for bacterial infections is accurate but instead do a theraputic trial of an antibiotic like doxycycline which has activity against many common bacterial infections found in cfs/me. Signs abx are working are improvement or worsening of condition which is called a herx reaction. I think if one goes this way, wait until stable on doxy and then add valtrex??

cheers!!!

LisaGoddard

I tried a generic valtrex after improving on famvir, i did this at the time as valtrex was cheaper. It didnt work and i went backwords but i dont think it was the fault of valtrex but the viruses i had ebv and cmv. Valtrex is good for ebv but if u have the others i think u need famvir to get results. If negative to other herpes viruses other then ebv and valtrex isnt helping then one should look for other bacterial co-infections, this is what dr lerner has found in his work. Antibiotics maybe needed for this before improvement is seen. Some docs dont think testing for bacterial infections is accurate but instead do a theraputic trial of an antibiotic like doxycycline which has activity against many common bacterial infections found in cfs/me. Signs abx are working are improvement or worsening of condition which is called a herx reaction. I think if one goes this way, wait until stable on doxy and then add valtrex??

cheers!!!

Thanks Heaps, this is helpful. Where did you buy your famvir or was it on prescription?
Blessings,
Lisa

heapsreal

I have a script on hand just in case i need one but havent needed to use one for a couple of years its only if customs(autralia) decide to nab my meds, if they do it wouldnt be anymore then a warning anyway. But magicpharma.com dont ask for scripts and there are other companies that do the same and sell quality products,just have to ask around and find out the good places others use. But magicpharma have the best priced famvir i have seen around.

I looked online for cheaper alternatives because off label prescription prices here in australia for antivirals is bank account draining, it would have slowly sent me broke eg locally $200 a month versus $75 a month. The same goes for supplement prices here in australia too, we get ripped off.

cheers!!!

Lisa, I am seeing Dr. Lerner as well and along with Valcyte, he has also prescribed 1000 mg 4 time a day of Valtrex. I honestly feel that is excessive for long periods of time. I have been taking Valtrex for 16 months, but have to confess that I am not taking it four times per day, only three.

Thanks much for that info. Good to know. I also don't think I could handle more than three doses a day! How are you doing on both drugs at once? Is it brutal? Dr Dantini is the doctor who originally prescribed for me actually. He doesn't seem to include valcyte in his mix. He told me he didn't think it was necessary to take both, and doesn't really like prescribing it. I did ask him for it last year.

I'm taking a wee break from the valtrex at the moment due to stomach problems a couple of weeks ago which were not resolving. I don't know if it was the drug or something else causing it, but anyway stopped everything I was taking to try and sort it. I was a bit worried about stopping and starting them (I've had to do that a couple of times due to stomach upset and supply probs) but another doctor (Ros Vallings) told me that pulsing them works well for a lot of people and helps cut the cost a bit. She said some of her patients do very well on three months on, three months off. Doctors all seem to have different approaches with them!

I need to find yet another new source now as my credit card details have been stolen both times on the site I've used this year. I simply cant be bothered with the hassle of that a third time... i also worry a bit about quality issues with buying them online. It would be nice to know for certain that what I'm taking is the real deal. They certainly seem to work well but I have never taken the non generics so can't really compare. I would like to try famvir because it doesn't have the stomach upset issues of valtrex but have struggled to find an affordable supply. Does anyone know?? Ros suggested Canada as a possibility.

I have a script on hand just in case i need one but havent needed to use one for a couple of years its only if customs(autralia) decide to nab my meds, if they do it wouldnt be anymore then a warning anyway. But magicpharma.com dont ask for scripts and there are other companies that do the same and sell quality products,just have to ask around and find out the good places others use. But magicpharma have the best priced famvir i have seen around.

I looked online for cheaper alternatives because off label prescription prices here in australia for antivirals is bank account draining, it would have slowly sent me broke eg locally $200 a month versus $75 a month. The same goes for supplement prices here in australia too, we get ripped off.

cheers!!!

How long have you been sourcing yours from magicpharma? Are they reliable?

heapsreal

I have been doing well on famvir/valcyte combo with no problems. I think with pulsing it could work if u can tell when it reactivates etc but i got to the stage where i think it was reactivating all the time so staying on it stopped/reduced this problem. Also when these viruses reactivate just like in healthy people who get EBV/mono your going to be fatigued and in a post viral state for a few months, antivirals if u can get onto the reactivation quick enough can reduce it. I would look at doing a 12 month stint on them at first to lower the viral load then look at using it after that when u feel the viruses reactivating.

I have been using magicpharma for a few years now and have found them reliable. Once there was a delay in an order and they just shipped my order again which i thought was great. Only issue i have found with them is that every few months they close down their site for a few weeks and say theyare on holidays etc which can be a bugger if u run out, so know i just make sure i have a few weeks supply up my sleeve.

I think with credit cards maybe look for a visa debit card and only put the amount of money in it u want to spend, that way if details get stolen they wont getaway with much.

i hope this helps,
cheers!!

I have been doing well on famvir/valcyte combo with no problems. I think with pulsing it could work if u can tell when it reactivates etc but i got to the stage where i think it was reactivating all the time so staying on it stopped/reduced this problem. Also when these viruses reactivate just like in healthy people who get EBV/mono your going to be fatigued and in a post viral state for a few months, antivirals if u can get onto the reactivation quick enough can reduce it. I would look at doing a 12 month stint on them at first to lower the viral load then look at using it after that when u feel the viruses reactivating.

I have been using magicpharma for a few years now and have found them reliable. Once there was a delay in an order and they just shipped my order again which i thought was great. Only issue i have found with them is that every few months they close down their site for a few weeks and say theyare on holidays etc which can be a bugger if u run out, so know i just make sure i have a few weeks supply up my sleeve.

I think with credit cards maybe look for a visa debit card and only put the amount of money in it u want to spend, that way if details get stolen they wont getaway with much.

i hope this helps,
cheers!!
A
Cheers. Thanks for that. I'll check the site. If the famvir is affordable I'd like to change to it once I've used up all the valtrex.

heapsreal

A
Cheers. Thanks for that. I'll check the site. If the famvir is affordable I'd like to change to it once I've used up all the valtrex.
Depending on the dosage but i was using 500mg tabs cut in 1/2, so 250mg twice aday which is quite low and this was costing me $75 a month and worked quite well. valtrex from magicpharma is actually more expensive then famvir but i think famvir has a broader range of effects.

cheers!!

Depending on the dosage but i was using 500mg tabs cut in 1/2, so 250mg twice aday which is quite low and this was costing me $75 a month and worked quite well. valtrex from magicpharma is actually more expensive then famvir but i think famvir has a broader range of effects.

cheers!!

Yes, I believe its effect is broader, and stomach upsets are not an issue with them so if I have them - as I do from time to time - ill know its not the drug. I've been making great strides on valtrex so am very keen to see what effect famir would have. I'd need to take it at 500 mg three times a day (Dr Dantinis recommended dose). It'll be rather more expensive for me but well worth it if its effective... Anti virals have been a game changer for me.