• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN and Wellbutrin for Weight Loss.

Ema

I've developed some degree of metabolic symptom along with my endocrine problems due to ME/CFS. I've been trying to address this through diet - mainly restricting sugar and processed foods - which has worked to a degree. I'm able to exercise in limited amounts daily now which is great for my mind but hasn't made an impact on my weight. I'm currently about 30 lbs over my pre-ME/CFS weight.

In investigating metabolic syndrome and leptin resistance, I found an article by Dr Holtorf that discusses using LDN and Wellbutrin as a kick start for the POMC in the hypothalamus that seems to help with weight loss and resetting the leptin sensitivity.

I also see that there is a clinical trial for a drug called Contrave that seems to contain naltrexone and buproprion together. However, I would not call the dosages contained in that med "low dose". It seems that the recommended daily total dosage of buproprion is 400 mg and the naltrexone dosage is 32 mg.

Has anyone ever tried these drugs in combination? And if so, what were the dosages found to be effective? I wonder if a more typical dose of LDN (3-4.5 mg) would be effective?

I'm nervous about Wellbutrin as well considering I have had horrible reactions to antidepressants in the past. Any experiences to share with this drug? I've read it has fewer side effects than most of the SSNRI's. My worst experience was with Cymbalta which left me a drooling, numb, rage-ful mess.

Thanks!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've developed some degree of metabolic symptom along with my endocrine problems due to ME/CFS. I've been trying to address this through diet - mainly restricting sugar and processed foods - which has worked to a degree. I'm able to exercise in limited amounts daily now which is great for my mind but hasn't made an impact on my weight. I'm currently about 30 lbs over my pre-ME/CFS weight.

In investigating metabolic syndrome and leptin resistance, I found an article by Dr Holtorf that discusses using LDN and Wellbutrin as a kick start for the POMC in the hypothalamus that seems to help with weight loss and resetting the leptin sensitivity.

I also see that there is a clinical trial for a drug called Contrave that seems to contain naltrexone and buproprion together. However, I would not call the dosages contained in that med "low dose". It seems that the recommended daily total dosage of buproprion is 400 mg and the naltrexone dosage is 32 mg.

Has anyone ever tried these drugs in combination? And if so, what were the dosages found to be effective? I wonder if a more typical dose of LDN (3-4.5 mg) would be effective?

I'm nervous about Wellbutrin as well considering I have had horrible reactions to antidepressants in the past. Any experiences to share with this drug? I've read it has fewer side effects than most of the SSNRI's. My worst experience was with Cymbalta which left me a drooling, numb, rage-ful mess.

Thanks!

Just a comment on the doses in Contrave: I've taken both LDN and Wellbutrin separately, but could never tolerate more than about 18 mg of Wellbutrin (took it to increase dopamine and in turn help migraines--it did), and no more than 4 mg of LDN. I'd guess that ME patients taking 32 mg of Naltrexone would be a bad experience for most!

Sushi

*GG*

I have been on LDN for about 3 years now, had to titrate up. Never been on Wellbutrin.

GG

PS I did the Ideal Protein diet recently, $4/meal, so was $12/day did it full on for about 2 months, ran out of money. Lost about 40 pounds.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Low carb eating helps but also look into metformin(med) as it increases insulin snesitivity and can help alot of problems with metabolic syndrome ie help lose weight, lower cholesterol etc.

cheers!!!

penny

I took wellbutrin (sustained release I think) for depression before becoming ill. Before that I had a not great experience with prozac (numb, wrapped in cotton wool) and a brief and very very bad experience with paxil. I was very nervous about trying something else, but the wellbutrin was great for me, lifted a cloud from me and left me feeling like myself again. The only side effect I had was dry mouth. Oh, and it actually seemed to help correct the sexual side effects from the many year previous paxil trial, I guess that's a side effect too. And I did feel more energetic on it as well. So it worked great for me. I think I was on the max dosage, 450mg I believe.

One BIG caveat - a couple of months after I started taking it they released the generic version and the pharmacy switched me, that was AWFUL, I suddenly felt worse than before I started the med and even felt suicidal (which hadn't happened before). As soon as I switched back to the brand the next month, poof all the bad stuff went away, and I felt good again. There were lots of reports of people having problems with the generic at the time, so hopefully they have sorted this out, but I wouldn't assume generic=brand for this drug. If you try it, it might be worth the extra money to maybe start with the brand, and then if that works for you, you could later trial the generic to see if it works the same way. I know that if I had started with the generic I would never had continued taking it.

Anyway, I think I was still taking this in the first year of my illness, when I had no idea what was going on, how to manage my health, or really anything. I believe (if memory serves) I stopped when I had a sleep study scheduled (didn't want to mess up the results) and realized my mood was the same off it as on it, so I just never started back up.

I do currently take LDN (.5mg) which helps me quite a bit, but have never taken the two meds together. Larger (than .5mg) doses of LDN do make me feel depressed and I can't imagine taking 32mg, but then I seem to be very sensitive to it. Also, my impression is that wellbutrin is stimulating, so like with any stimulants, if you try it, be careful to not overdo it and pay close attention to your body's signals for needing to stop & rest.

I hope something in here is helpful! Good luck!

Ema

Low carb eating helps but also look into metformin(med) as it increases insulin snesitivity and can help alot of problems with metabolic syndrome ie help lose weight, lower cholesterol etc.

cheers!!!
Hi heapsreal -

I had some Metformin around so I decided to try it while I think about the Wellbutrin/LDN...I've been taking it for three days and my blood sugars are exactly the same. Does it take a while to work? I'm taking 500 mg with brunch and dinner (the only meals I eat).

Thanks!
Ema

heapsreal

metformin keeps blood levels within normal range and help reduce the natural amount of insulin required to do the job, also helps body use fat as a preferential fuel. I think it would take a few weeks to affect weightloss?

Ema

While it would have been amazing to start losing weight immediately, I was more referring to my blood sugar levels. I thought I would start to see some lowering of those numbers, both fasting and post-prandial. Unfortunately, they have so far stayed the same. Maybe they will start to change over the next week or two? I just figured it would have a more immediate effect on the blood sugars.

Ema

Yes, but I have non-existent testosterone levels. I have to replace it along with E and P. I don't have acne or inappropriate hair growth either. My cycles are regular. The only symptom that matches up is the weight gain, unfortunately.

heapsreal

Yes, but I have non-existent testosterone levels. I have to replace it along with E and P. I don't have acne or inappropriate hair growth either. My cycles are regular. The only symptom that matches up is the weight gain, unfortunately.

All i can suggest is eat low carb and keep using the metformin, both help control appetitte.
Also is your thyroid functioning well, whats your morning body temp. They say optimal thyroid should atleats be 36.5c.

cheers!!!

xks201

never got anything from wellbutrin. I think adderall would be better for weight loss with T3. Do you guys feel you have a calmer nervous system on LDN?

Ema

never got anything from wellbutrin. I think adderall would be better for weight loss with T3. Do you guys feel you have a calmer nervous system on LDN?
The point of this combination is how the Wellbutrin and naltrexone work together synergistically to re-sensitize certain neurons in the hypothalamus which then leads to weight loss.

I don't think Adderall would have this same sensitizing effect though it might help to speed up the metabolism if the body was able to support that.

Ema

@penny, do you possibly happen to have any recollection of the generic brand you had such trouble with?

My insurance won't cover the brand name to the tune of $400/mo. But I know there are several different generics out there...

Thanks!