• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible cause found? Alpha or Beta Radiation.

A cause has been found for cfs/fibro...Paper has been submitted for publication and Alpha radiation or Beta radiation are responsible...Both tests were done with urine analysis...More news will be coming out very soon and also Drs. Klimas & Peterson are also finding CD-56 brights cells at Bond University in Austrailia which is also a marker for radiation ionizing injuries...This will be the third time radiation has been mentioned associated will illness prior at Wayne State University researchers found in Gulf War Vets blood using a procedure called 'Sky Test' chromosone breakage and translocations...

Years back researchers at the Uiversity of Hawaii looked at cfs/gwi/fibro and had said there is absolutely no difference in illnesses they are all the same...This same research team tested thousands of samples across the globe and found that they were all positives to ciguatera (epitopes) which actually meant the ciguatera was different than others because something was not right about this infection and the key found now is linked back to the recent finds of ionizing radiation...I believe now that this cause will change the path only forward for much needed serious fundings and I can assure all of you here now that the scientists involved in this ground breaking research are the best and will have no problems whatsoever proving their research is correct and a true cause to suffering has been found..

.Chernobyl, even spent Military dumpings in the oceans are also being mentioned so are the 1986-1988 imports of foods to North America with contaminations from Chernobyl fallouts...For all of you who have not seen the Discovery Channel 4 part series this will give you an idea about these findings through U-tube 'google' search this 'gulf war vets conspiracy blood test' parts 1 to 4...

God bless all of you and if you need to reach me I am on Facebook Southampton area Aidan Walsh you will see a gold Angel as my profile picture...

Blesses everyone also red grapes 'skin' may help also Aloe Vera plant 'pure sap' and also Reservatrol but discuss things with your Doctors...

I also posted on my timeline about a patent filed on treating Chernobyl children with Spirulina that reduced radiation as much as 50% over a 45 day period...

Take care more good news coming out soon do not give up and never give in to the phycobabblers uneducated lies, Court if you need to reach me I believe you have my email address ok bye everyone x x hang in there their are great minds working very hard for everyone and new medicines are also being looked into and this also looks to be involved in numerous other illnesses with the potential as markers for auto immune disorders....................................BLESSES..............................

GhostGum

The idea of a breakthrough seems so unlikely after all these years but it will interesting to see further news on this. May have something to do with why I have had success with spirulina over the last 12 months, I have continually come back to resveratrol time and time again over the years as well, has always seemed to make a difference every time I am on it.

pollycbr125

Sorry but I think the title of this thread is a bit much especially when many are still reeling over what has happened over the last 3 years . I have to say im rather sceptical about such bold outlandish claims even xmrv was not claimed to be the cause it was seen as a potential cause.

wouldnt radiation damage be permanent anyway I thought radiation stayed in the body ?

taniaaust1

I didnt think i could be affected by the words "Cause Found" as much as I was when I saw that heading.. I think my heart almost stopped there for a moment.

It would be great if this does turn out to be the cause IF this can be treated well.

I did have a few days worth of spirulina in the past (never got right into that supplement thou) but didnt notice any improvement from it from just a few days which isnt enough to be really able to comment well about it.

Does wheatgrass do similar thing to spirualina?? When I was juicing organic wheatgrass daily.. that I did find helpful.. it made me feel over all weller and like I was healing (I stopped doing that thou after a couple of weeks as it was very difficult to juice from grass).

alex3619

If this is true, and I do not concede it is (we haven't even seen a paper yet) then Japan will be in for a very rough time in the coming years. Radiation damage to mitochondria is a big worry, as its often irrepairable in the mitocondria, I think. However if still healthy mitochondria can be induced to replicate, they can take up the burden.

Ionlzing radiation, and its link to CFS and ME, has been discussed by Martin L Pall. Post radiation syndrome is very similar to post viral syndromes.

The ciguatera thing I had thought was debunked, as the test was picking up cardiolipin by mistake? I could be wrong about that, but trying to prove ionizing radiation is responsible would be a five to ten year project, minimum, after the first paper is released.

Most such theories are disproved. However, every new theory does have a chance. Someday one of them will be right (or more than one if there are different types of ME and CFS).

One of the reasons I doubt ionizing radiation is responsible is you would see a massive increase in CFS in countries affected by Chernobyl. On the other hand, I do note that Scandinavian countries appear to have had epidemic after epidemic but its not recorded as ME or CFS, but post Q fever.

If CFS were however caused by short life radio isotopes emitting ionizing radation from inside our cells, then it would only require a small dose, and it would disappear slowly depending on the half life of the particular isotope. On the flip side, the reduction in clear epidemics in USA especially could be linked to cessation of nuclear testing.

Even if ionizing radiation is partly to blame, I would still suspect the necessity for cofactors.

Bye, Alex

ukxmrv

Is this the "big news" that one of the USA CFS groups was going to announce in their Fall newsletter?

taniaaust1

Im thinking more about this theory and my case and if I may of had any unusual contact with this... the answer is yes (there's heaps of different factors which could of come into why I have ME).

Back when I was a teen I used to go horseriding with a girl (who later went on and developed ME too around the same year as I did), who's parents used a part of the horses paddock as a illegal toxic waste dump and sometimes locals would dump things down there in which werent allowed to be dumped at the public tip.

As kids.. we were always told to stay away from that section of the paddock and did.. but her horse.. was often feeding around or maybe in that very same part of the paddock.

I also had quite a bit of exposure to xrays.. due to my childs spinal condition and having to hold her at times while she was having xrays, as her spine as she grew was monitored. (she may of had lots xrays as much as 4-5 times when she was growing up)

taniaaust1

If this is true, and I do not concede it is (we haven't even seen a paper yet) then Japan will be in for a very rough time in the coming years. Radiation damage to mitochondria is a big worry, as its often irrepairable in the mitocondria, I think. However if still healthy mitochondria can be induced to replicate, they can take up the burden.

Ionlzing radiation, and its link to CFS and ME, has been discussed by Martin L Pall. Post radiation syndrome is very similar to post viral syndromes.

The ciguatera thing I had thought was debunked, as the test was picking up cardiolipin by mistake? I could be wrong about that, but trying to prove ionizing radiation is responsible would be a five to ten year project, minimum, after the first paper is released.

Most such theories are disproved. However, every new theory does have a chance. Someday one of them will be right (or more than one if there are different types of ME and CFS).

One of the reasons I doubt ionizing radiation is responsible is you would see a massive increase in CFS in countries affected by Chernobyl. On the other hand, I do note that Scandinavian countries appear to have had epidemic after epidemic but its not recorded as ME or CFS, but post Q fever.

If CFS were however caused by short life radio isotopes emitting ionizing radation from inside our cells, then it would only require a small dose, and it would disappear slowly depending on the half life of the particular isotope. On the flip side, the reduction in clear epidemics in USA especially could be linked to cessation of nuclear testing.

Even if ionizing radiation is partly to blame, I would still suspect the necessity for cofactors.

Bye, Alex

Alex.. do you know what year they did the nuclear testing in the outback of Australia??? (it may of been in Sth Australia). Cause SA (Adelaide) had an ME outbreak in the late 1940s or early 1950s . it may of been 1949-1952 (so hence Im wondering if those dates would tally. That would be too much to say its probably a coicincidence if those dates tally up.

What year(s) was nuclear testing done in Sth Aust

Tally

I'm what we call in my country ( not Russia) "a Chernobil child" meaning I was a fetus when it happened and when I was born I ate the food that was affected by radioactive rain. But I doubt it has anything to do with it. Of the thousands of people who were born same time as I, who I met over the years at school and universiy, I'm the only one who has ME.

I have to agree with alex3619. If this was the case we would see increase in prevalence in irradiated areas.

taniaaust1

Alex.. do you know what year they did the nuclear testing in the outback of Australia??? (it may of been in Sth Australia). Cause SA (Adelaide) had an ME outbreak in the late 1940s or early 1950s . it may of been 1949-1952 (so hence Im wondering if those dates would tally. That would be too much to say its probably a coicincidence if those dates tally up.

Ive been searching trying to find the answer to my question. Interestingly, Australia has had 3 known ME outbreaks all up. 2 in Sth Australia and one in Western Australia and the two places nuclear testing has been done are SA and WA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nuclear_tests_at_Maralinga

More interestingly.. the dates of the SA outbreak.. the nuclear testing year was during this outbreak which went for a few years.. but unless the outbreak start date has been recorded down a little wrong (who knows?)... the time is out by 3 yrs (with the nuclear testing happening at the end of the outbreak).

I cant remember the date of the western Australia ME outbreak.. it would be interesting to know
"On 3 October 1952, the United Kingdom tested its first nuclear weapon, named "Hurricane", at the Montebello Islands off the coast of Western Australia. "

"A year later the first nuclear test on the Australian mainland was Totem 1 (9.1 kilotons) at Emu Field in the Great Victoria Desert, South Australia, on 15 October 1953. Totem 2 (7.1 kilotons) followed two weeks later on 27 October.[1] "

So interesting one of only two Sth Australia ME outbreaks was said to be 1949-1953. (could the years be slightly out??).

The idea of a breakthrough seems so unlikely after all these years but it will interesting to see further news on this. May have something to do with why I have had success with spirulina over the last 12 months, I have continually come back to resveratrol time and time again over the years as well, has always seemed to make a difference every time I am on it.
Let's pray this does not take us down the paths of back and forth tennis...
Moderator Note:

Please note -- the title of this thread has been changed. We have added the word 'Possible' and the words 'Alpha or Beta radiation'

Thank you.
Thanks Kina I agree 100% what you wrote, I am not one great at comments but atleast this gets patients somewhat informed I will try to update more info as it comes along we can all thank Gail Kansky and her team together with another foundation for their fundings of this important research news...

SilverbladeTE

Alex
Scandanavia got dosed repeatedly with fallout from Russian atomic tests on Nova Zemlaya
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novaya_Zemlya#Nuclear_testing
Over its history as a nuclear test site, Novaya Zemlya hosted 224 nuclear detonations with a total explosive energy equivalent to 265 megatons of TNT.[22] For comparison, all explosives used in World War II, including the detonations of two U.S. nuclear bombs, amounted to only two megatons

anywa, that's jsut "backgroudn info"
I am sceptical of this suggestion of radiation, because the fact is, radiation sufficient to cause such harm is detecttable
and, in quantities enough to do such damage throught the system or to a major organ, you'd have massive incidences of cancer, and death, it would show up every time folk took an x-ray, the poor sods would be glowing on the exposures! (though probably not for some alpha emitters)
however, it is interesting.

As noted, my area was dosed with radiation form the natural reuslt of having a truly massive steelworks (boh form metals and burning of coal)
and several factories that used radium and radioactive phosphorous to paint dials of watches, clocks and aircraft dials.
they had ot get the IAEA to help clen up the factory where my dad worked and surprise surprise, those who worked in the radiation section never lived to draw their pensions.

Since a lot of ME diagnosis are MISdiagnosis, radiation could certianly be cosnidered for a percentage of us, or contributing factor.

Please read up on Sellafield, those stupid SOBs released vast quantities of toxic radioactives, over two tons of uranium oxide never mind the rest, so bad the bloody seaweed is unsafe to use as fertilizer up the entire West coast of Scotland!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield#Environment_and_health_issues
and health issues
The site has been the subject of much controversy because of discharges of radioactive material, mainly accidental but some alleged to have been deliberate. Since the early 1970s and the rise of the environmental movement in the US and Europe, there has also been general scepticism of the nuclear industry. In part this has not been helped by the industry's early connections to the nuclear weapons programme.
[edit] Radiological releases

Between 1950 and 2000 there have been 21 serious incidents or accidents involving some off-site radiological releases that merited a rating on the International Nuclear Event Scale, one at level 5, five at level 4 and fifteen at level 3. Additionally during the 1950s and 1960s there were protracted periods of known, deliberate, discharges to the atmosphere of plutonium and irradiated uranium oxide particulates.[45] These frequent incidents, together with the large 2005 Thorp plant leak which was not detected for nine months, have led some to doubt the effectiveness of the managerial processes and safety culture on the site over the years.
In the effort to build an independent British nuclear weapon in the 1940s and 1950s, the Sellafield plant was constructed; diluted radioactive waste discharged by pipeline into the Irish Sea.[46] Some claim that the Irish Sea remains one of the most heavily contaminated seas in the world because of these discharges.[47] The Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic (OSPAR Convention) reports an estimated 200 kilograms (441 lb) of plutonium has been deposited in the marine sediments of the Irish Sea.[48] Cattle and fish in the area are contaminated with plutonium-239 and caesium-137 from these sediments and from other sources such as the radioactive rain that fell on the area after the Chernobyl disaster. Most of the area's long-lived radioactive technetium comes from the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel at the Sellafield facility.[49] Technetium-99 is a radioactive element which is produced by nuclear fuel reprocessing, and also as a by-product of medical facilities (for example Ireland is responsible for the discharge of approximately 11 grams or 6.78 gigabecquerels of technetium-99 each year despite not having a nuclear industry).[50] Because it is almost uniquely produced by nuclear fuel reprocessing, technetium-99 is an important element as part of the OSPAR Convention since it provides a good tracer for discharges into the sea.
In itself, the technetium discharges do not represent a significant radiological hazard,[51] and recent studies have noted "...that in the most recently reported dose estimates for the most exposed Sellafield group of seafood consumers (FSA/SEPA 2000), the contributions from technetium-99 and actinide nuclides from Sellafield (<100 µSv) was less than that from 210Po attributable to discharges from the Whitehaven phosphate processing plant and probably less than the dose from naturally occurring background levels of 210Po."[52] Because of the need to comply with the OSPAR Convention, British Nuclear Group (the licensing company for Sellafield) have recently commissioned a new process in which technetium-99 is removed from the waste stream and vitrified in glass blocks.[53]
Discharges into the sea of radioactive effluents - mainly caesium-137 - from the Magnox reprocessing plant's storage pond amounted to 9,000 TBq during the peak year, 1975.[54]
There has been concern that the Sellafield area will become a major dumping ground for unwanted nuclear material, since there are currently no long-term facilities for storing High-Level Waste (HLW), although the UK has current contracts to reprocess spent fuel from all over the world. However, contracts signed since 1976 between BNFL and overseas customers require that all HLW be returned to the country of origin. The UK retains low- and intermediate-level waste resulting from its reprocessing activity, and instead ships out a radiologically equivalent amount of its own HLW. This substitution policy is intended to be environmentally neutral and to speed return of overseas material by reducing the number of shipments required, since HLW is far less bulky.[55]
1983 was the year of the "Beach Discharge Incident" in which high radioactive discharges containing ruthenium and rhodium 106, both beta-emitting isotopes, resulted in the closure of beaches along a 10-mile stretch of coast between St. Bees and Eskmeals, along with warnings against swimming in the sea.[56][57] BNFL received a fine of £10,000 for this discharge.[58] 1983 was also the year in which Yorkshire Television produced a documentary "Windscale: The Nuclear Laundry", which claimed that the low levels of radioactivity that are associated with waste streams from nuclear plants such as Sellafield did pose a non-negligible risk.[59]
[edit] B30

Building B30, colloquially known as dirty thirty, is a pond which was used to store spent fuel from MAGNOX power stations. The pond is 20m wide, 150m long and 6m deep. Birds can land on its surface and take small amounts of radioactive substances with them. The pond was used from 1960 until 1986. A confinement wall is scheduled to be built in the future to help it withstand earthquakes. The pool is to be emptied and dismantled in years to come.
It is impossible to determine exactly how much radioactive waste is stored in B30; algae is forming in the pool, making visual examinations difficult. British authorities have not been able to provide the Euratom inspectors with precise data. The European Commission has thus sued Great Britain in the European Court of Justice.[60][61] There are expected to be about 1.3 tons of plutonium, 400 kg of which are in mud sediments.[62] It is thought the pool also contains waste from the Tokai Mura plant (Japan).[63]
Radiation around the pool can get so high that a person is not allowed to stay more than 2 minutes, seriously affecting decommissioning.[64] The pool is not watertight, time and weather have created cracks in the concrete, letting contaminated water leak.
[edit] Organ removal inquiry

In 2007 an inquiry was launched into the removal of tissue from a total of 65 deceased nuclear workers, some of whom worked at Sellafield.[65] It has been alleged that the tissue was removed without seeking permission from the relatives of the late workers. Michael Redfern QC has been appointed to lead the investigation.[66] At the same time The Observer revealed that official documents showed that during the 1960s volunteer workers at Sellafield had participated in secret Cold War experiments to assess the biological effect of exposure to radioactive substances, such as from ingesting caesium-134.[67]
The inquiry final report was published in November 2010,[68] reporting that "...body parts had been removed between 1961 and 1992. The deaths of 76 workers – 64 from Sellafield and 12 from other UK nuclear plants – were examined, although the scope of the inquiry was later significantly widened."[69] The person behind this scheme was Dr Geoffrey Schofield, who became BNFL’s Company Chief Medical Officer, and who died in 1985. Sellafield staff did not breach any legal obligation, did not consider their actions untoward, and published the scientific information obtained in peer-reviewed scientific journals. It was the hospital pathologists, who were profoundly ignorant of the law, who breached the Human Tissue Act 1961 by giving Sellafield human organs, without any consents, under an informal arrangement.[68]
[edit] Cancer risks

According to Stephanie Cooke, the British Government has been "at pains over the years to play down attempts to correlate cancers with Sellafield radioactivity, particularly when it involves individuals living near the plant but not working at it".[70]
In 1983, the Medical Officer of West Cumbria announced that cancer fatality rates were actually lower around the nuclear plant than elsewhere in Great Britain.[71] In the early 1990s, concern was raised in the UK about apparent clusters of leukaemia near nuclear facilities.
A 1997 Ministry of Health report stated that children living close to Sellafield had twice as much plutonium in their teeth as children living more than 100 miles (160 km) away. Health Minister Melanie Johnson said the quantities were minute and "presented no risk to public health". The University of Dundee's Professor Eric Wright, a leading expert on blood disorders, challenged this claim, saying that even microscopic amounts of the man-made element might cause cancer.[70]
Detailed studies carried out by the Committee on Medical Aspects of Radiation in the Environment (COMARE) in 2003 reported no evidence of raised childhood cancer in general around nuclear power plants, but did report an excess of leukaemia (cancer of the blood or bone) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) (blood cancer) near nuclear plants including Sellafield, AWE Burghfield and UKAEA Dounreay. COMARE's opinion is that "the excesses around Sellafield and Dounreay are unlikely to be due to chance, although there is not at present a convincing explanation for them".[72] In earlier reports COMARE had suggested that "..no single factor could account for the excess of leukaemia and NHL but that a mechanism involving infection may be a significant factor affecting the risk of leukaemia and NHL in young people in Seascale."[73]
[edit] Irish objections

Sellafield has been a matter of some consternation in Ireland, with the Irish Government and some members of the population concerned at the risk that such a facility may pose to the country. The Irish government has made formal complaints about the facility, and recently came to a friendly agreement with the British Government about the matter, as part of which the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland and An Garda Síochána (Irish Police Force) are now allowed access to the site. However, Irish government policy remains that of seeking the closure of the facility.[citation needed]
[edit] Manx objections

The Government of the Isle of Man has also registered protests due to the risk posed by radioactive contamination, due to the proximity of the Isle of Man. The Manx government has called for the site to be shut down.[74] The Irish and Manx governments have collaborated on this issue, and brought it to the attention of the British-Irish Council.[75]
[edit] Norwegian objections

Similar objections to those held by the Irish government have been voiced by the Norwegian government since 1997. Monitoring undertaken by the Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority has shown that the prevailing sea currents transport radioactive materials leaked into the sea at Sellafield along the entire coast of Norway and water samples have shown up to ten-fold increases in such materials as Technetium-99.[76] Fears for the reputation of Norwegian fish as a safe food product have been a concern of the country's fishing industry, though the radiation levels have not been conclusively proved as dangerous for the fish.[citation needed] The Norwegian government is also seeking closure of the facility

Russia had Mayak and severla other disasters, never mind Chernobyl (and Mayak is considerably worse because reactor material actually got into the environment!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Karachay
According to a report by the Washington, D.C.-based Worldwatch Institute on nuclear waste, Karachay is the most polluted spot on Earth.[2] The lake accumulated some 4.44 exabecquerels (EBq) of radioactivity,[3] including 3.6 EBq of Caesium-137 and 0.74 EBq of Strontium-90.[1] For comparison, the Chernobyl disaster released from 5 to 12 EBq of radioactivity, but this radiation is not concentrated in one location.
The radiation level in the region near where radioactive effluent is discharged into the lake was 600 röntgens per hour (approximately 6 Sieverts/hr) in 1990, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Natural Resources Defense Council,[4][5] more than sufficient to give a lethal dose to a human within an hour.
[edit] History

Starting in the 1960s, the lake began to dry out; its area dropped from 0.5 km2 in 1951[1] to 0.15 km² by the end of 1993.[6] In 1968, following a drought in the region, the wind carried radioactive dust away from the dried area of the lake, irradiating half a million people with 185 petabecquerels (5 MCi) of radiation.[3]
Between 1978 and 1986 the lake was filled with almost 10,000 hollow concrete blocks to prevent sediments from shifting

one of my faves ot highlight the stupidity in extremis of the Cold War nuclear lunacy was in Russia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticality_accident

On 10 December 1968, Mayak, a nuclear fuel processing center in central Russia was experimenting with plutonium purification techniques. Two operators were using an "unfavorable geometry vessel in an improvised and unapproved operation as a temporary vessel for storing plutonium organic solution"; in other words, the operators were decanting plutonium solutions into the wrong type of container. After most of the solution had been poured out, there was a flash of light and heat. "Startled, the operator dropped the bottle, ran down the stairs, and from the room."[18] After the complex had been evacuated, the shift supervisor and radiation control supervisor re-entered the building. The shift supervisor then deceived the radiation control supervisor and entered the room of the incident and possibly attempted to pour the solution down a floor drain, causing a large nuclear reaction that irradiated the shift supervisor with a fatal dose of radiation

alex3619

Hi Tania, wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nuclear_tests_at_Maralinga

These nuclear tests were most of a decade after the Adelaide ME epidemic.The epidemic was, I think, 1948 and 1949 (two of them) and the nuclear testing was post 1955.

Bye, Alex

PS .... but it seems you reached this conclusion already, doh.

Enid

Not much alpha beta radiation around - all my neighbours seem very well indeed.