• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Joe Biden has family member with CFS?

Marylib

Saw a post on FB from Dr Donnica. She has heard through the "grapevine" that Joe Biden has a family member with CFS and is at least somewhat aware.

How can we get through to the veep and ask him to call Sibelius?

Anybody know anyone who knows Joe Biden? We need a hand from the top, rather than continually pushing up from the bottom.

Hysterical Woman

Biden family member

Saw a post on FB from Dr Donnica. She has heard through the "grapevine" that Joe Biden has a family member with CFS and is at least somewhat aware.

How can we get through to the veep and ask him to call Sibelius?

Anybody know anyone who knows Joe Biden? We need a hand from the top, rather than continually pushing up from the bottom.

Hi Marylib,

I live in Delaware (Biden's home state) and ran a CFS support group here for a while. I have never heard that someone in Biden's family has CFS, but then frequently, as you know, these things are not made public. At the time I was running the group 1997-1998, I wrote several letters to Biden (as did other members of the group). We all got nice responses but he never mentioned he had personal experience with this.

I wrote to him a couple of weeks ago asking that he do anything he could to have someone look at the recommendations that were made at the last CFSAC meeting. I didn't receive a response. I am now considering writing to his wife just to see if that might help. I will also ask around to friends who know more politicians than I do to see if they had ever heard anything.

Thanks for bringing it up,

Maxine

Marylib

Bidens/

Writing to Jill Biden is a great idea. She is bound to read more of her mail than Joe.
Especially if she got a lots of them.

We need a patron. With power.

And thank God Jill is not an MD -- MD's are trained to trivialize and psychologize CFS.

By the way Maxine -- thanks. Alot.

Lily

*Believe*
It COULD be ......

unless the VP and his wife believe that CFS is really a mental illness. Let's hope that is not the case!;)

Hysterical Woman

Marylib

Writing to Jill Biden is a great idea. She is bound to read more of her mail than Joe.
Especially if she got a lots of them.

We need a patron. With power.

And thank God Jill is not an MD -- MD's are trained to trivialize and psychologize CFS.
By the way Maxine -- thanks. Alot.

Thanks for the comment Marylib, and isn't it a sad state of affairs when we have to be glad that she is not an M.D.

Maxine

Hysterical Woman

Writing to Jill Biden and concern

Hi Guys,

I will try to get a letter off to Jill Biden tomorrow. In the meantime, I talked to a local friend of mine who said that Ms. Biden was at one time very active with a breast cancer support group. Don't know if she or someone close to her was diagnosed?

I am concerned about one thing, tho. If one of the Biden family does have cfs, maybe they do not want to be "outed". I kept most of my own medical information private for 6 years while I struggled to try to continue to work (that was a joke). You can already get to this thread by googling Joe Biden CFS family member and other variations.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Maxine

Stuart

Breast Cancer Research Funding and XMRV

I think you can get research interest in more than just ME/CFS communities. I found Dr. Coffin's testimony in the transcription Cort provided interesting.
(http://aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/XMRVCoffin.aspx)
"XMRV was first reported in prostate cancer samples, particularly ones with a mutation as was pointed out in RNASE-L in 2005. In a recent paper this virus was reported as being present using an immunological assay in about nearly a quarter of randomly chosen breast-cancer biopsies and in a much smaller fraction of non-malignant prostate biopsies."
The emphasis is mine, but this has significance that seems lost in the reporting so far.

Breast cancer receives the greatest NCI funding per death at $13,452 where lung cancer being the #1 cause of cancer death receives only $1,630. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/06/cancer-funding-does-it-add-up/

Having an association with 1/4 of breast cancer, shouldn't some source of breast cancer funds be devoted to XMRV research?

Found this after posting:
http://breastcancer.about.com/b/200...n-more-funding-for-breast-cancer-research.htm
http://www.bidenbreasthealthinitiative.org/index.html

Marylib

For Stuart and Maxine

True, Stuart, but first all the xmrv work needs to be done. What I am wondering is if the Bidens might be accessible in terms of CFS, regardless of XMRV.

In terms of being out, Maxine, I guess we don't know a darned thing for sure because the first I heard was Dr Donnica's post on the Cfids FB site.

It is so sad that we have to pretend just to stay employed as long as we can.

I sure think the Biden link it is worth investigating. So great that you are willing to poke around in Delaware. Thanks.

muffin

I too sent both the President and Biden an email

Just in case Biden does have a family member who is sick. Never know. Have to take that shot and email everyone all over even if you think it's a shot in the dark.