• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin bad news folks

alex3619

The real question that should be asked, and the lesson learnt, is that high quality validation studies like the one just released should be done sooner rather than later. Low quality studies are only suggestive. The blame for this lies everywhere, including the WPI. They should have been pushing for this from the beginning. Researchers like Coffin should also have been pushing for it. Some commentators at the time suggested this be done but were ignored. Bye, Alex

currer

The real question that should be asked, and the lesson learnt, is that high quality validation studies like the one just released should be done sooner rather than later. Low quality studies are only suggestive. The blame for this lies everywhere, including the WPI. They should have been pushing for this from the beginning. Researchers like Coffin should also have been pushing for it. Some commentators at the time suggested this be done but were ignored. Bye, Alex

I like what you are saying, Alex, but I think the problem is always cost.

Cheap and quick research studies will always be easier to perform.

It is also evident from what Lipkin said that it is clear to any scientist that ME is a genuine disease.
But it is cheaper and easier for governments to ignore us and pretend otherwise. And that is why the situation has become so fraught between patients and health agencies..

leela

I think Judy made a good point about FDA's recent statement, and the "pressure" from Mr. President, in regards to a potentially refreshed source of study funding. Of course pharamacological profit-motivated research is not always in the patiients' best interested, but there is so little "pure" research these days anyway.
between that and Lipkin's very firm and forthright announcement about this being *absolutely* biological, and his ongoing studies into these illnesses, and his reminder that scinece is in fact a process where people ought not to be afraid to have their careers ruined when they come to a potentialy erronoeus conclusion---
it would seem that we have indeed reached a real turning point in attracting some solid science now.

He makes a good point too on continuing to apply pressure as a patient population.

alex3619

I like what you are saying, Alex, but I think the problem is always cost.

Cheap and quick research studies will always be easier to perform.

It is also evident from what Lipkin said that it is clear to any scientist that ME is a genuine disease.
But it is cheaper and easier for governments to ignore us and pretend otherwise. And that is why the situation has become so fraught between patients and health agencies..

I agree with you currer, but its a false cost issue. How much has doing cheap studies cost in the long run? This is a huge issue with CFS and ME generally. Ignoring these and related illnesses may be costing the world on the order of a trillion dollars a year (I am including other neuroimmune diseases here). CFS itself (not so sure about ME) is on the order of a hundred billion a year. In what universe is it fiscally responsible to spend almost nothing on fixing the problem? Add in the issue that XMRV is a retrovirus and it should have had priority funding. If we continue on the current path and something new and nasty comes along, by the time we respond it might be too late. Bye, Alex

jace

Off the fence
Anybody else here weirded out by the body language and demeanor of the press conference participants that we could see? Why was Hilary Johnson's question about 'XMRV' in the prostate cancer studies slapped away? Lipkin's 'not prepared to talk about that online' indeed...

I'm weirded out anyway.:alien::cautious::oops::alien:

Undisclosed

Anybody else here weirded out by the body language and demeanor of the press conference participants that we could see? Why was Hilary Johnson's question about 'XMRV' in the prostate cancer studies slapped away? Lipkin's 'not prepared to talk about that online' indeed...

Perhaps it was just too political or too complicated to provide a good answer in the short time they had. I don't think I will start looking for reasons or make speculation. Dr Lipkin was willing to discuss it with Hilary Johnson after the press conference. I am sure she will pass on any relevant information.

I didn't notice any weirdness in body language or demeanor. Actually, the head nodding etc matched what was being said in the room.

lilpink

Don't you think it was an aside which could be interpreted as him knowing the prostate papers will be pulled (or at least there's lots going on behind the scenes) but it's all getting angry and political and he can't be drawn in (especially on record?)

leela

Lipkin did not address her question because this was a press conference about this particular study.
His invitation to discuss her question after was a positive, in my view.
I found his whole approach to be admirable and inspiring, personally.
Entirely laudable, including his tribute and acknowledgement to Judy's contriubutions.

lilpink

Lipkin did not address her question because this was a press conference about this particular study.
His invitation to discuss her question after was a positive, in my view.
I found his whole approach to be admirable and inspiring, personally.
Entirely laudable, including his tribute and acknowledgement to Judy's contriubutions.
Yes I agree whole heartedly. Rosie

Maybe because Lipkin was not involved in the XMRV/prostate cancer studies and he does not want to make public statements about his opinion. Lipkin seems to have a lot of respect for other researcher's work (as seen with Mikovits) and if he has doubts about their XMRV/prostate CA findings, maybe he just didn't want to make a public statement about his doubts. Beside, I thought Hilary Johnson's question was off topic too since the conference was about Lipkin's study which has nothing to do with prostate cancer.

Undisclosed

is anyone else having trouble getting the twiv thing to play?

The link appears to be empty. Maybe they are having technical issues or there was some delay. The box for the podcast didn't appear until after the advertised time. I guess we will have to wait patiently.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
is anyone else having trouble getting the twiv thing to play?
I can't get it to play. It's not a live transmission though, so I hope that once it's sorted out, we'll have plenty of time to see it. Frustrating, though!

leela

thanks sacha and kina. i never can tell, as my internet connection comes from somewhere in the late jurassic.