• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin bad news folks

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm quite sure Dr. Lipkin is as irritated at conflating 'XMRV'/HGRVs with 'virus(es)' or 'infection(s)' as we are, since one of the papers I wrote to last time a negative association story broke told me that Lipkin had contacted them as well, and told them I think the same as me, that XMRV is not all infections and to wait for this study.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
The full release from official sources will be much more interesting.

Even better - being able to see the ACTUAL PAPER, which we can't see for 3 hours yet, while this half-baked crumb of press-release churnalism gets out on the internets.

I still don't see anything so newsworthy that it called for a media blitz. "Yet another failure" is not the thing we need spinning around sucking up whatever little bit of media oxygen is available for ME/CFS.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
The newspapers may lift the conclusions straight off the press release from the SMC. They have done it before. With PACE I found one journalist only read the SMC briefling and didn't read the paper or anything else connected to it. He picked his quotes from the SMC press release and went no further.

Question : brainfog and all ---- what is SMC ? something not in the US? Thanks.

ukxmrv

Twitter

1m CII ‏@CII722
@XMRV_GA We are aware of 2 news sources in Europe that have violated the embargo (and done a deplorable job while they were at it!).
View conversation

Is this a press release for the other Lipkin study, as well as the XMRV one?

I was just expecting negative results on XMRV. I thought that the other one was going to take much longer. Did I miss something?

JT1024

interesting times, is it another 3 hours before we see the whole conference?
More like 12 hours from now....

CII Press Conference
September 18th, 2012
10:30 AM (EDT)
“Multicenter Study on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis”
A live video player will be posted/available below (at approx. 9:45 AM)

ixchelkali

Its only bad news if misreported. Any advance on the knowledge is good news, though perhaps disappointing. Further information will be available soon, and its not surprising that some media has run off the deep end into hyperbole. The Belfast article however states very clearly that CFS is a physical disease. On the other hand the Scottish report is:
"Viral infection ruled out as cause of ME"

It seems they have non-science reporters reporting again - this statement can easily be misinterpreted.

The most extreme spin is yet to be seen on this though. As PWCalvin pointed out, if they start with "viruses don't cause CFS" or anything to that effect, they are misinterpreting the science or deliberately spinning the result.

Bye, Alex

I agree with you that it's only bad news if it's misreported, but you can see that in the UK it is already being misreported, or at least badly spun.

SOC

So I'm guessing the reason for the press conference was to make sure the message to the press was clear and accurate. And the UK press balled it up by jumping the embargo with their misinformation. If I were Lipkin, et al, I'd be really pissed off.