• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lipkin XMRV study to be released June 30th

urbantravels

disjecta membra
I was asking about members of the press and wondering how far in advance they will get the findings, if they get them in advance at all. I'm not hinting around that anyone, journalists or scientists, should commit an ethical breach and leak something early; I'm just looking for more scraps of information about how big and complex a story this is going to be.

ukxmrv

Sometimes the press and other interested parties get a copy of the results or an early press pack and this is subject to an emabargo that stops them publishing it.

I imagine that the nasty people of the Science Media Centre in London have lined up one or two of their tame experts to spin this their way regardless of what the results are.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sometimes the press and other interested parties get a copy of the results or an early press pack and this is subject to an emabargo that stops them publishing it.

I imagine that the nasty people of the Science Media Centre in London have lined up one or two of their tame experts to spin this their way regardless of what the results are.

I can see them now burning the midnight oil, they will have had their instructions, but it doesn't stop me hoping that Lipkin will produce something even they can't spin.

Mula

That's the Blood Working Group results from last year. That was another negative study which involved Mikovits and Alter, and pretty much finished off XMRV imo.

The blood group were attempting to build new methods that could be utilized for testing blood stocks, which all laboratories involved in the study failed to complete. This may not have finished that way if they had continued to phase IV. So the tests are not what had been previously used successfully in the Lombardi and Lo studies.

Marg

I can see them now burning the midnight oil, they will have had their instructions, but it doesn't stop me hoping that Lipkin will produce something even they can't spin.

The way he is, he mght just do that. He said he smelled virus. He is very snart, we will see.

barbc56

I guess I need a definition of "spin". I see several posts above that are "spin". Spin is defined by your perspective.perception.

Also veiled personal attacks which I thought is against the rules. It just gets tiresome.

I'm am NOT talking about all posts. This is my opinion.

barbc56

The blood group were attempting to build new methods that could be utilized for testing blood stocks, which all laboratories involved in the study failed to complete. This may not have finished that way if they had continued to phase IV. So the tests are not what had been previously used successfully in the Lombardi and Lo studies.

It looks like Phase IV is a prospective study. I don't see how there would be a different result. Would you please explain why you think this.
Thanks.

Navid

My hope for tuesday is that xmrv is a contaminate....that ME/CFS is not caused by a retrovirus; That Dr. Lipkin and/or the other Dr's have found found big/giant clues leading them in a direction of determining causality of the disease and repurposing of a drug for disease treatment.

I hope our disease is our immune system in overdrive and there is a peptide or protein already discovered that can be used to turn down our overactive immune system....that this treatment does not cause us to feeel worse first...but that when we take it we know it is the right medicine and we will slowly begin to heal and heal fairly quickly......this is what i hope happens on Tues.

I hope VR speaks loudly and with authority that this is a serious disabling, life threatening disease, that Dr. Lipkin and all the other Dr's at the press conference agree....and that they all agree to share their work and knowledge to get us, the sick and suffering on the fast track to recovery.

i don't want to hear conspiracy thoeories.
i dont want to hear that our disease is all in our heads
i dont want to hear that it will take 15-20 years to find the answers

i want to see teamwork, comraderie and compassion.

i hope judy m was wrong abt xmrv; but is recognized and praised for what she has done; shone a bright light on this dark little hole and brought attention, publicity and brainpower to the plight of all our suffering......for that we should all be thankful to her.

i thank judy with all my heart and i pray tonite and tomorrow as hard as i can that on tues we are presented with a brighter future; one filled with hope and promise.

i am tired of living a life of loss, sadness and pain.

i want my life back.

i want to respect science and medicine and believe that they really want to help us.

i hope my prayers are answered.

i hope on tuesday i feel positive, happy and hopeful again.

Firestormm

Research First: http://www.research1st.com/2012/09/...&utm_campaign=Feed:+Research1st+(Research1st)

PUBLICATION: Results of this multicenter study will be published on Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012 at 12:01 a.m. in the online journal mBio. The press embargo lifts at that time. The paper will be posted to the journal’s web site at: http://mbio.asm.org/

PRESS CONFERENCE: XMRV studies have attracted considerable press attention and this study — because of its definitive nature and the high profile of some of the investigators involved with it — is expected to generate media coverage. Columbia University’s Center for Infection and Immunity has scheduled a press conference for 10:30 a.m. (Eastern time) on Sept. 18, 2012, featuring Dr. Lipkin and four of the key collaborators on the study: Dr. Harvey Alter of the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Judy Mikovits who is now working independently, Dr. Francis Ruscetti of the National Cancer Institute, William Switzer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Dr. Mady Hornig of the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University. The press conference will be webcast live. Details about and the URL for accessing the press conference at that time can be found here: http://cii.yewda.com/Blog.aspx?LOfRcb
Twiv-XMRV1-286x300.jpg

PODCAST: “This Week in Virology,” a popular science podcast produced by Columbia University virology professor Dr. Vincent Racaniello has followed the XMRV story closely for the past three years. Dr. Racaniello has interviewed Dr. Lipkin about these study results for a special edition of TWiV that will be posted at 12:01 p.m. on Sept. 18, after the press conference. At that time you will be able to find the podcast here: http://www.twiv.tv/

snowathlete

I hope it's retrovirus positive because it would get a lot of research and attention that would lead to treatments.

But my guess is that it will be negative for retroviruses and genuinely so, as I don't really believe the conspiracy theories.

I hope, therefore, that they picked up on something else that may be the cause, and I hope it's something fixable!

The time of the TWiV episode has been changed to 12 noon on September 18th but the study results will still be published at 12:01 a.m. in the online journal mBio, right? Is the mBio online journal public access so we will still be able to read the results late tonight at 1201 am?

Firestormm

The time of the TWiV episode has been changed to 12 noon on September 18th but the study results will still be published at 12:01 a.m. in the online journal mBio, right? Is the mBio online journal public access so we will still be able to read the results late tonight at 1201 am?

Yes Tess. As per the release above from Research 1st.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
On that chart, New York is currently in EDT (US Daylight Savings Time) not EST . So you're on GMT+1, we're on EMT +1, midnight in New York is 4 AM GMT +1 hr = 5 AM.