• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Fibromyalgia Caused by ‘Cold Sore’ Virus? Researchers Bet It Is

Hi All,

This is a pretty fascinating serendipitous finding - and it makes sense based on the herpes family associations with this illness and its manifestations (like ibs etc).

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=17194

and the docs website:

http://www.tuscaloosasurgery.com/research.htm

Thought I'd post it here and see what everyone thought.

What do you think the two drugs are? Valtrex and Valcyte and maybe the amino, lysine, that many say helps alot to supress.

What virus is involved - HSV1- HHV-6 - EBV (again)?

Take care,

Elisabeth

Enid

Very interesting indeed - thanks Elisa. At least it seems things are being narrowed down to these viruses.

Tally

I have a lot of dyshidrosis when I crash.I wonder if that can be caused by herpes virus.

Shell

This is an interesting hypothesis. I have wondered for a while if there was a pretty big link or overlap between fibro and ME because I suspect there's an awful lot of us with dual dx.
Are there any studies out there that look at the numbers for dual dx of FM and ME?

currer

I want to bump this thread. There could be something in this finding. I would like to try these drugs!

Very interesting research! Could there be a reinforcing cycle involving chronic viral reactivations, declining glutathione levels, nuclear and mitochondrial DNA damage, and so forth? My guess, based on my own lab results, is that many of us might be dealing with polymicrobial infections that collaborate to overcome our intracellular defenses and ultimately go on to induce autoimmunity. I started out with Fibro, a few years later I graduated to CFS, 15 years later ME, and 20 years later full blown thyroid disease, gastrointestinal disease, constant dizziness, chronic headaches and unbearable neuropathy. As I got sicker, more and more microbial antibodies started to show up, including EBV, HHV6, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, CPn and Borrelia. These have also been confirmed by PCR. If this author is correct, perhaps it is possible to break the vicious cycle by suppressing the viral components of the disease. One can always hope. Has anyone tried to contact the author through his academic email address? He might be willing to share the name of the antivirals.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I have not had a cold sore since I have been sick. but I did before. I could look at someone with one and get one.

Exactly the same for me. I used to get 1 or 2 every year, but I have not had one in 8 years. The time that I have been sick! As a matter of fact I have not had anything illness, other than ME/CFS, no colds, no tonsillitis which I used to get alot many years ago. No sinus infections or anything!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
August59 "Exactly the same for me. I used to get 1 or 2 every year, but I have not had one in 8 years. The time that I have been sick! "

This illness gets stranger and stranger, me too, I'd not really thought about it other than to say once I haven't had a cold sore for years - yes since I've been ill to be precise..... What is going on?
Could this new drug therapy be the answer?

Wonko

never had cold sores, ever, but I dont understand the relevance of a negative correlation, I could understand my periodic shingles reactivation being relevant but not getting something?

Marg

We don't know what all the drugs are. If the study is blinded we would not, is that the way it goes? I was tempted to call not that far from here. Interesting that one of the docs is a surgeon and the other a virlologist. I think one of the drugs is antiiviral. I think I read that but what else?

My cytokines were better at last testing but still higher than what they should be. So that part caught my eye.. I take as few drugs as possible so I am not so sure yet. I need to know more. I also wonder where the ten sites are don't think I could get any closer than Tuscaloosa.

I did not understand about the 4 years..people had been well that long, or got sick again after 4 years.

I may call them tomorrw and see what I can find, I will post if anyhting earth shattering..

I am wondering what natural supplements other than lysine would be helpful?

The link posted above by GhostGum (thanks GhostGum) is really helpful in thinking of ways to inhibit this family of viruses - in the gut.

Vit D, Resveratrol, Iodine are valuable.

Any ideas on this - because the drug-combo's availability may be a while?

Elisabeth

mellster

Marco
I also could not remember any cold sore within the roughly 2 years I was sick with FM/CFS. Same for colds or flus. Then, as I began recovering, they all came back although still less frequently and less severe.

alex3619

I am fairly sure there is a herb that is very toxic to herpes viruses, but I can't recall the details - which may mean I am misremembering. Lysine works to some extent, as does reducing the intake of high arginine foods. Bye, Alex

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Wonko I can only explain in a simple way not being a scientist - one of the hypothesis for what happens in ME/CFS for a lot of us is that the immune system goes into overdrive. this knocks out other stuff ie HSV. but we're not able to overcome the biggies.

ukxmrv

When I started Valtrex the first thing I noticed was that the horrible burning sensation in my lower legs began to go. Will be interesting to see if this FM develops.