• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chasing the Money: Chase Community Giving Contest to Start Soon

Chase_Community_Giving.jpg
Opportunity Knocks! The Chase Contest for Non-profits Has Begun!

The Chase Giving Contest is back and with it the opportunity to get cash-starved ME/CFS non-profits some real cash. All it takes is your vote and spreading the word for the next two weeks (Sept 6-19th). This, in the world of non-profits is a remarkably easy (if nerve-wracking) way to make money…
Over the past two years Phoenix Rising has played a key role in getting Chase to pump over $170,000 into ME/CFS non-profits coffers and now we and eight other organizations are in the contest. The Top 200 vote getters this year will win from 10K to 250K.

Where We Are Now - Because you only have two votes we suggest that you focus them on organizations with a good chance of winning. In this blog we're going to focus on the top two vote-getters; Phoenix Rising and the Neuro Immune Disease Alliance or NIDA, an ME/CFS research funder. On the fourth day of the two week contest here's where the organizations that are strongly in the running are...
  • Neuro Immune Disease Alliance - #68 - $20K
  • Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation - #96 - 20K
To Vote on Facebook

NOTE: The Chase FB site is overloaded at times, so if it behaves weirdly, please try again later!

If you do not have a Facebook Account - go to www.facebook.com and quickly create a page. Since you must ‘like’ Community Chase Giving first in order to vote go to Community Chase’s Facebook page http://www.facebook.com. Each person has two votes (plus a possible bonus vote, see below).

If You Have a Facebook Account

1. Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361

(Or type NEID in the box "Search Charities".) "Phoenix Rising, an NEID corporation" will appear. Click “Vote”. If it asks you to "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

2. Then go to NIDA's page: http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-2861703

(Or type NIDA in the box “"Search charities".) "Neuro Immune Disease Alliance" will appear. Click "Vote". At the question "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

To Vote From Chase (all Chase customers)
Chase Bank and Facebook Users- can vote for the same organization twice...If you get a Bonus vote you can vote for an organization a third time.

The Bonus Vote

A Bonus Vote is an extra vote you can win and then use to vote for any organization you wish. In the grand tradition of Chase Giving the bonus vote is a complicated but getting Bonus votes could make a big difference...We're going to explain as simply as possible how to get an extra vote. If it's too much - forget about the Bonus vote strategy and just vote!

To Get a Bonus Vote

Sharing Content - To get a bonus vote Chase wants you to share an organization you like with a friend and then have them vote for that organization.
  • the person voting for the organization must click on your link and then vote without going to any other pages..
  • you only get one Bonus Vote..
How to Share An Organization

a) Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361 and then click the like button to put the organization on your Timeline. Then ask one of your Facebook Friends to click on it and vote...You'll then get a Bonus you can use to vote for Phoenix Rising or another organization, including ones you already voted for.

b) For Family and Friends - Clicking on the 'Send' button is a great way to get a string going with family and friends. Click the Send button will send the organization's profile to a person's Facebook page, their email address or to their twitter account.

For instance, I'm asking my brother, Cass, to vote for Phoenix Risng An NEID Organization and NIDA. I will get a bonus vote when my brother votes. He will ask his partner to vote for the two organizations; once his partner has done that Cass will get a vote. Then his partner will send a message to my sister, who will send the message to her husband to his son etc. As long as the string continues everyone gets 3 instead of 2 votes.

You can also try The Bonus Vote Exchange we created.

We've created a Bonus Vote Exchange on Phoenix Rising to try and facilitate this process. Check it out here... For more information on how to vote check out this Forum thread or contact me at Cort@phoenixrising.me

Phoenix Rising's Winnings

Phoenix Rising has several projects it could spend the winnings on. Check some of them our here:
  • Rate a Practitioner program - to help ME/CFS patients save time, money and improve their health by finding good doctors and avoiding bad ones
  • Community Rising program - to break up the isolation and connect people in their local communities, provide avenues for assistance, reviews of local clinics and physicians, etc.
  • Making the Forums More Accessible to the Visually Impaired - upgrading the Forums so that as many as possible can participate.

How funny - Searching for info on the bonus votes I typed in 'explaining bonus vote chase giving' and in the first page our blog came up...

OK I voted for NIDA using Merry's Timeline (sorry other orgs - we've got to get this figured out so I can blog about it and they were available).....

Merry, since you've used all your other votes you should get a message, I guess in your Facebook site, stating you have a bonus vote.

It looks like Chase is having some early glitches - the redirect page from the Chase banking site is down; maybe they are fixing something...

The Rules for Facebook Voting (from the Chase page on Facebook, with some rearranging & emphasis added)

Regular Votes:
2.) Facebook: During the Voting Period Facebook Users on the Facebook Chase Community Giving application will automatically receive two (2) votes ("Standard Facebook Vote(s)") to cast during the Voting Period on the Chase Community Giving application found at www.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving (the "CCG Application"). A Facebook user can only cast one (1) Standard Facebook Vote per charity.

Bonus Vote:
Facebook users can earn one (1) bonus vote by sharing content from the CCG Application. There are 4 ways to do this. Choose one:
1.) Clicking the "like" button in the CCG Application to share content by having it pushed to his/her Facebook news fee/wall.
2.) Clicking the "send" button in the CCG Application to share content with another person;
3.) Clicking the "tweet" button in the CCG Application and tweeting the URL of the content the user want to share with another person; or,
4.) Clicking the "copy link" button in the CCG Application and emailing the URL of the content the user wants to share with another person.

And here's the catch ...
If the receiving party links back to the CCG Application through the shared content and casts a vote, the Facebook user who shared the content will earn one (1) bonus vote. BUT The receiving party MUST LINK to the CCG Application AND VOTE during the same visit for the sharing Facebook user to receive the extra vote. The sharing Facebook user only will receive the extra vote if the receiving party uses the sharing Facebook users shared link to enter the CCG Application and vote during that visit.

**You must cast BOTH your 2 standard votes BEFORE you can cast your bonus vote
The bonus vote may be cast for any Eligible Nominated Charity, including an Eligible Nominated Charity for which the sharing Facebook user has already cast a Standard Facebook Vote.

Eligible Voters must return to the Chase Community Giving Application on Facebook to find out whether he/she has earned a bonus vote as it will be displayed in the application header as well as in the "apps and games" link. There is a limit of one (1) bonus vote earned per Eligible Voter.

Thanks Aileen...what do they mean by 'link to the to the CCG application and then vote during the same visit? I guess that means they click in the link - go to the page and vote...that makes sense.

Merry, I just wanted to say it's so delightful how far you've come in the world of internet and facebook operation! I remember when you seemed a little hesitant about it! (And not long before that, I myself was CLUELESS! and also very fearful and suspicious of getting on FaceBook. Now it's such a joy to have connections with hundreds more people who share my condition.

Merry, I just wanted to say it's so delightful how far you've come in the world of internet and facebook operation! I remember when you seemed a little hesitant about it! (And not long before that, I myself was CLUELESS! and also very fearful and suspicious of getting on FaceBook. Now it's such a joy to have connections with hundreds more people who share my condition.

This is hilarious! I've just been in conversation with Purple all week about how much I hate Facebook and this has nothing to do with being suspicious and fearful. Believe me, I would not have the account if I weren't required to to vote to raise money for ME/CFS organizations. I may close the account after this contest.

Thanks Aileen...what do they mean by 'link to the to the CCG application and then vote during the same visit? I guess that means they click in the link - go to the page and vote...that makes sense.
unfortunately I think it means that many M.E./FM patients are going to be in trouble. Click the link, look and decide it looks too confusing so will come back later - don't vote ... and lose the bonus vote for the person. :cry: We're going to have to be sure to stress that you CAN'T do that in all instructions!! I hate this contest and I haven't even voted yet!:ill:

Aww, Merry, I'm sorry you hate it. It's just that you seemed to jump right into a leadership role with it. I totally understand wanting to do something that makes a difference, but finding the things involved in doing that repugnant. After having read/ re-read this whole thread on FB today, I'm reminded of my initial (and ongoing repressed) loathing of FB. For me, I'm just to the point I'm just going with the flow, because it's too hard to resist it right now. And I am just trusting (hoping?) that good would prevail if any of the dreaded misuse of my FB info by those in power were to occur. I probably will simply stop using my FB account someday. Until then, I'm hoping it helps put me in a better position simply by being less isolated, more than it would harm me.

Thanks...I'm glad to hear that....very glad actually because we're quite behind on our Chase blogs and this means we have a chance to get some blogs out and catch up :)...

On the other hand it probably means that participation is really high and their servers are getting smacked...not particularly good news ....:rolleyes:

Here's what I have thus far - based on Aileen's information - which was a godsend...:thumbsup:

The Bonus Vote

A Bonus Vote is an extra vote you can win and then use to vote for any organization you wish. In the grand tradition of Chase Giving the bonus vote is a bit complicated :) but getting them could make a big difference...We're going to explain as simply as possible how to get an extra vote. If it's too much - forget about the Bonus vote strategy and just vote!
To Get a Bonus Vote

Sharing Content - To get a bonus vote Chase wants you to share information on an organization you like with a friend and then have them vote for that organization.
There are two catches.... the person voting for the organization must click on your link and then vote without going to any other pages....and you only get one Bonus Vote.
How to Share An Organization
a) go to an organization's Chase Giving page
and then use the Like/Send/Twitter buttons below the profile or the link in the box in an email to send the Chase Giving request.
a) Like button - clicking the 'Like button - this will put the organization's content on your newsfeed or timeline. Then one of your Facebook Friends (only your friends can see your timeline) can vote.
b) Clicking on the 'Send' button - will send the organization's profile to a person's Facebook or to their twitter account. If they click on the link they can vote. Here's a sample...."One of my favorite ME/CFS organizations, Phoenix Rising, has the opportunity to win 10K in the Chase contest. Please click on this link and then vote! "
c) Twitter - click on the twitter button to send a request on twitter.
c) Linking - taking the link provided below the Send and Like buttons and paste it into an email asking a friend to vote for it .

Aww, Merry, I'm sorry you hate it. It's just that you seemed to jump right into a leadership role with it. I totally understand wanting to do something that makes a difference, but finding the things involved in doing that repugnant. After having read/ re-read this whole thread on FB today, I'm reminded of my initial (and ongoing repressed) loathing of FB. For me, I'm just to the point I'm just going with the flow, because it's too hard to resist it right now. And I am just trusting (hoping?) that good would prevail if any of the dreaded misuse of my FB info by those in power were to occur. I probably will simply stop using my FB account someday. Until then, I'm hoping it helps put me in a better position simply by being less isolated, more than it would harm me.

warriorseekspeace, I'd like to continue this conversation but off thread. May not get back to you until tomorrow afternoon, though.

Chase just posted this message on fb.

Chase Community Giving
The response to this year's program is overwhelming! While we are very excited about all of this activity, the traffic is making it difficult for some people to cast their votes. Not to worry, we are actively working to resolve this issue, so please be patient. Please stay tuned for an update.

Last year this was really simple, but this year there's no place to vote. I've liked the Chase Community Giving page, but when I go there there's no information about voting. How are you all doing it?

Also, I'm completely confused by this bonus vote idea....maybe because I can't see the page you're talking about. Do we get one bonus vote every day, or one per person, total?

Last year this was really simple, but this year there's no place to vote. I've liked the Chase Community Giving page, but when I go there there's no information about voting. How are you all doing it?

Also, I'm completely confused by this bonus vote idea....maybe because I can't see the page you're talking about. Do we get one bonus vote every day, or one per person, total?

I don't understand it either. I went to the Chase Giving Page page and nothing. I also clicked on the App on my FB page and a blank page came up. I hate missing the vote.

I don't understand it either. I went to the Chase Giving Page page and nothing. I also clicked on the App on my FB page and a blank page came up. I hate missing the vote.

the problem is not with you - it's Chase which is running into technical problems right now. They said to hold of voting for the time being until they can repair the problem.

This contest is NOT a daily voting one - thank goodness!! You get to vote for 2 different organizations and, if you correctly jump through a couple hoops, get one bonus vote. That is a grand total of 3 votes to be cast during the entire length of the contest.

Chase just posted this message on fb.

Chase Community Giving
The response to this year's program is overwhelming! While we are very excited about all of this activity, the traffic is making it difficult for some people to cast their votes. Not to worry, we are actively working to resolve this issue, so please be patient. Please stay tuned for an update.
Glad to hear this.....although it does mean the competition is fiercer than ever.....it does give me some time to catch up....I'll have something more on the Bonus vote situation tomorrow.

Is the contest open to international voting as it was in years past? I have family/ friends who live outside the US and in years past, Chase rules have allowed them to vote. This is especially important to relay to PR members as many are not in the US but might vote if the rules allowed them to and this fact was publicized.