• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chasing the Money: Chase Community Giving Contest to Start Soon

Chase_Community_Giving.jpg
Opportunity Knocks! The Chase Contest for Non-profits Has Begun!

The Chase Giving Contest is back and with it the opportunity to get cash-starved ME/CFS non-profits some real cash. All it takes is your vote and spreading the word for the next two weeks (Sept 6-19th). This, in the world of non-profits is a remarkably easy (if nerve-wracking) way to make money…
Over the past two years Phoenix Rising has played a key role in getting Chase to pump over $170,000 into ME/CFS non-profits coffers and now we and eight other organizations are in the contest. The Top 200 vote getters this year will win from 10K to 250K.

Where We Are Now - Because you only have two votes we suggest that you focus them on organizations with a good chance of winning. In this blog we're going to focus on the top two vote-getters; Phoenix Rising and the Neuro Immune Disease Alliance or NIDA, an ME/CFS research funder. On the fourth day of the two week contest here's where the organizations that are strongly in the running are...
  • Neuro Immune Disease Alliance - #68 - $20K
  • Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation - #96 - 20K
To Vote on Facebook

NOTE: The Chase FB site is overloaded at times, so if it behaves weirdly, please try again later!

If you do not have a Facebook Account - go to www.facebook.com and quickly create a page. Since you must ‘like’ Community Chase Giving first in order to vote go to Community Chase’s Facebook page http://www.facebook.com. Each person has two votes (plus a possible bonus vote, see below).

If You Have a Facebook Account

1. Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361

(Or type NEID in the box "Search Charities".) "Phoenix Rising, an NEID corporation" will appear. Click “Vote”. If it asks you to "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

2. Then go to NIDA's page: http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-2861703

(Or type NIDA in the box “"Search charities".) "Neuro Immune Disease Alliance" will appear. Click "Vote". At the question "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

To Vote From Chase (all Chase customers)
Chase Bank and Facebook Users- can vote for the same organization twice...If you get a Bonus vote you can vote for an organization a third time.

The Bonus Vote

A Bonus Vote is an extra vote you can win and then use to vote for any organization you wish. In the grand tradition of Chase Giving the bonus vote is a complicated but getting Bonus votes could make a big difference...We're going to explain as simply as possible how to get an extra vote. If it's too much - forget about the Bonus vote strategy and just vote!

To Get a Bonus Vote

Sharing Content - To get a bonus vote Chase wants you to share an organization you like with a friend and then have them vote for that organization.
  • the person voting for the organization must click on your link and then vote without going to any other pages..
  • you only get one Bonus Vote..
How to Share An Organization

a) Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361 and then click the like button to put the organization on your Timeline. Then ask one of your Facebook Friends to click on it and vote...You'll then get a Bonus you can use to vote for Phoenix Rising or another organization, including ones you already voted for.

b) For Family and Friends - Clicking on the 'Send' button is a great way to get a string going with family and friends. Click the Send button will send the organization's profile to a person's Facebook page, their email address or to their twitter account.

For instance, I'm asking my brother, Cass, to vote for Phoenix Risng An NEID Organization and NIDA. I will get a bonus vote when my brother votes. He will ask his partner to vote for the two organizations; once his partner has done that Cass will get a vote. Then his partner will send a message to my sister, who will send the message to her husband to his son etc. As long as the string continues everyone gets 3 instead of 2 votes.

You can also try The Bonus Vote Exchange we created.

We've created a Bonus Vote Exchange on Phoenix Rising to try and facilitate this process. Check it out here... For more information on how to vote check out this Forum thread or contact me at Cort@phoenixrising.me

Phoenix Rising's Winnings

Phoenix Rising has several projects it could spend the winnings on. Check some of them our here:
  • Rate a Practitioner program - to help ME/CFS patients save time, money and improve their health by finding good doctors and avoiding bad ones
  • Community Rising program - to break up the isolation and connect people in their local communities, provide avenues for assistance, reviews of local clinics and physicians, etc.
  • Making the Forums More Accessible to the Visually Impaired - upgrading the Forums so that as many as possible can participate.

The ME (ME/CFS) Fundraising Group is planning to post a poll tomorrow on their Facebook page at: http://on.fb.me/twyeN3 to determine which of the ME/CFS nonprofits competing in the Chase Contest may have the best chance of winning. Because of a fewer number of votes this year allowed to each voter and the fact that nonprofits with operating expenses of up to $10 million are allowed to compete, we believe the competition will be more challenging for our ME/CFS nonprofits. Therefore, we believe it is necessary to have a voting strategy to help our ME/CFS community win.

As far as we have heard (or judging by their completed profile pages), it appears that eight of our 24 nominated nonprofits are planning to compete in the contest. These nonprofits are: Phoenix Rising, Rocky Mountain, Wisconsin, New Jersey, OFFER, Enterovirus Foundation, NIDA, and HHV-6 Voundation. If you know of any others, please let us know.

If you are not a member of Facebook, you could set up an account. If you are a Facebook member but not a Fundraising Group member, you could ask to join to take the poll.

If the leaders of the competing nonprofits come up with a voting strategy, that will be given priority over the poll. We desperately want some of our nonprofits to win and feel very strongly a strategy is imperative for us to win. Thanks for your help!

Here are the mission statements of the eight nonprofits that we think are planning to compete and have their profile pages completed. You can also check their websites to learn more.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN CFS ASSOCIATION INC
AKA: Rocky Mountain CFS/ME and FM Associaition
7020 E Girard Ave, Suite 207, Denver, CO, 80224
EIN: 84-1178034
Causes: Health
Mission
The Rocky Mountain CFS/ME & FM Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization for those affected by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), and Fibromyalgia (FM). Our mission: Advocate for research Awareness for understanding Educate for patient care Support for hope
Find this Charity online www.rmcfa.org
Donate: www.rmcfa.org/donations.html
www.facebook.com/pages/RMCFA-Rocky-Mountain-CFS-ME-FM-Association/162296707138242
twitter.com/rmcfaorg
Charity Administrator
Mike Munoz

Wisconsin Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association, Inc.
AKA: Wisconsin ME and CFS Association, Inc. ( 1987)
733 Lois Dr, Sun Prairie, WI, 53590
EIN: 39-1614649
Mission
In 1987, Wisconsin pledged to assist patients and their families. In 2012, the needs of the majority of our underserved patient population have changed. People sick with ME and CFS who lack computer access and /or skills to use a computer, may be denied the very basis of hope, that is, a proper diagnosis, better medical care, and knowledge about promising research. Mission: The CO-OP for Services is a toll free health information access number.Trained responders briefly talk with people who are ill, secure a mailing address, and send it to a designated confidential e mail address. WIsconsin will send out a package of good medical information about CFS. Goals: To locate the large number of undiagnosed and misdiagnosed CFS patients To give patients with no Internet access a way to get medically approved information. SEPT 1 start up: Health Information CO-OP for Services Toll Free: 1-855-878-5555
Find this Charity online www.wicfs-me.org
Charity Administrator
PAT FERO

NEW JERSEY CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME ASSOCIATION INC
AKA: NJCFSA
PO Box 477, Florham Park, NJ, 07932
EIN: 22-3367433
Mission
The primary purpose of the New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association, Inc is to disseminate information about CFS to patients, caregivers, the health care community and the public, organize and maintain patient support groups, promote research into the cause, method of treatment, diagnosis and cure of the disease
Find this Charity online www.njcfsa.org
Donate: www.njcfsa.org/donate
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/New-Jersey-Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-Association-Inc-NJCFSA/141665745869451
twitter.com/njcfsa
Charity Administrator
Patricia LaRosa

ENTEROVIRUS FOUNDATION INC
268 Bush Street 4044, % Rachel Landphere, San Francisco, CA, 94104
EIN: 26-3513934
Mission
"The scariest disease you've never heard of..." Help us END EV! According to the CDC there are 50 million enterovirus infections annually in the US and an estimated one billion globally. They are as easy to catch as the common cold. Enterovirus infections such as Coxsackie, EV71, and Echovirus can trigger diseases such as juvenile diabetes, viral myocarditis, viral meningitis, Hand Food and Mouth Disease, pancreatitis, and approximatley 26 disease associations that we know of. There is no treatment. EVF is committed to providing funding for: •Research • Finding antiviral medications that work • Improving diagnostic testing • Accelerating communication across the research and medical communities, including clinical education about the latest in diagnosis and treatment • Raising public awareness about enteroviruses and their role in disease.
Find this Charity online www.EnterovirusFoundation.org
Donate: npo1.networkforgood.org/Donate/Donate.aspx?npoSubscriptionId=1000786%22%3e%3cimg
www.facebook.com/EVForg
Charity Administrator
Rachel Landphere

NEURO IMMUNE DISEASE ALLIANCE INC
AKA: NIDA
29302 Laro Drive, Agoura Hills, CA, 91301
EIN: 27-2861703
Mission
A specific list of high-priority projects ( The OMI-MERIT Initiative), focused on finding diagnostic tools and treatments, including a Rituxan clinical trial, was created and agreed upon by a global consortium of world renowned researchers and clinicians including, in alphabetical order, Drs. Lucinda Bateman, Yenan Bryceson, Ron Davis, David Dreyfus, Oystein Fluge, Mady Hornig, Nancy Klimas, Andy Kogelnik (Chair), Charles Lapp, Jay Levy, Alan Light, Kathleen Light, Sonya Marshall, Mauro Malnati, Olav Mella, Jose Montoya, Dan Peterson, Simone Pensieroso, Ila Singh, Carmen Scheibenbogen, Charles Shepherd, and Rozamond Vallings. NIDA is collaborating with the Open Medicine Institute (OMI) and all monies raised as part of the Chase-sponsored contest will support the OMI-MERIT Initiative. The goals are to fast-track answers in diagnosis and treatment. For more information please visit www.openmedicineinstitute.org.
Find this Charity online www.nidalliance.org
Donate: www.nidalliance.org/ways-to-help.html
www.facebook.com/pages/Chronic-Fatigue-Syndrome-Support-CFSME/273240696061761
Charity Administrator
Linda Tannenbaum

ORGANIZATION FOR FATIGUE AND FIBROMYALGIA EDUCATION AND RESEARC
AKA: OFFER
1002 E South Temple Ste 408, Salt Lake Cty, UT, 84102
EIN: 87-0687610
Mission
Our mission is to offer hope to individuals who are affected by Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM) by providing and supporting education, advocacy, research and networking for patients and families. We will accomplish this mission by • Educating patients, families, physicians and community members; • Changing perspectives within community systems, families, governments, public insurance companies, and providers through advocacy and greater awareness; • Supporting ongoing CFS and FM research and disseminate current, accurate information to patients, providers, and other interested parties; • Improving community resources for patients with CFS and FM, by identifying a network of healthcare providers, social workers, and other professionals who are informed, compassionate, qualified, knowledgeable and affordable.
Find this Charity online www.offerutah.org/
Donate: www.offerutah.org/donations.htm
www.facebook.com/offer.utah.3
twitter.com/OFFERUtahorg
Charity Administrator
Paul Shepherd

PHOENIX RISING AN NEID CORPORATION
3709 Beaver Creek Dr, Raleigh, NC, 27604
EIN: 27-3313361
Mission
Phoenix Rising is a non-profit corporation dedicated to providing people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) information and online programs they can use to enhance their health and well-being.
Find this Charity online phoenixrising.me
Donate: phoenixrising.me/donating
www.facebook.com/PhoenixRisingMECFS?ref=hl
Charity Administrator
Karen Luoto

HHV-6 FOUNDATION
1253 Coast Village Rd Ste 105, Santa Barbara, CA, 93108
EIN: 20-1043981
Mission
The HHV-6 Foundation is a non-profit entity founded to encourage scientific exchange between investigators and to promote scientific and clinical research on the under-appreciated viruses HHV-6A and HHV-6B. The Foundation sponsors international conferences, supports scientists and clinicians seeking to clarify the role of the two HHV-6 viruses in disease, and acts as a resource for patients suffering from HHV-6 infection/reactivation worldwide.
Find this Charity online www.hhv-6foundation.org
Donate: www.hhv-6foundation.org/support-us
www.facebook.com/Hhv6Foundation
Charity Administrator
Jill Chase

I think PR is an excellent resource, and i also think the people here are very courageous.
I appreciate the effort of Cort and many others, I am wondering if a link can be posted to amazon so that a percentage can go to PR.
also a site used by Jessica L. for art

To help determine a voting strategy in the Chase Contest, two polls have been set up at: https://www.facebook.com/events/442305962477809/?notif_t=plan_user_joined
Please cast a vote for two different ME/CFS nonprofits.

If you are not a member of Facebook and wish to vote in the poll, you can set up a Facebook account. (That will also entitle you to two votes in the Chase Contest and make you eligible to try to earn a third "bonus" vote.) A new Facebook page was set up for the poll and it is open. You do not have to ask to join.

We also need to make certain that every single org that accepted the nomination early gets the needed one vote to share in the $2.5 million grant. Any org that accepted early and doesn't plan to compete actively probably will know to get one vote in. But we need to keep an eye on it.

I tried the links in Cort's article, to see info about the participating groups, but they all take me to the same page, asking for Chase Bank online acct. info, which I do not have. I have voted in Chase contests before, so I don't know what the problem. I have already "liked" the Chase page from FB. I hope this isn't stumping other people, or discouraging anybody who may be considering starting a FB account just to vote with.

Oh, I am just putting it together that probably what is happening is that from here, PR, or somewhere else outside of FaceBook, on the internet, the links to the Chase voting contest group pages are only accessible to Chase Bank members. However, once a person is logged on to their FB account, they will be able to see the groups' pages. From FaceBook, I can open the links to the pages of those ME/CFS groups participating, because I have already "liked" Chase.

To help determine a voting strategy in the Chase Contest, two polls have been set up at: https://www.facebook.com/events/442305962477809/?notif_t=plan_user_joined
Please cast a vote for two different ME/CFS nonprofits.

If you are not a member of Facebook and wish to vote in the poll, you can set up a Facebook account. (That will also entitle you to two votes in the Chase Contest and make you eligible to try to earn a third "bonus" vote.) A new Facebook page was set up for the poll and it is open. You do not have to ask to join.
The two top vote-getters in the poll held on Facebook were NIDA and Phoenix Rising. It appears to be a tie. Perhaps you may wish to consider voting for one or both of them or voting for one of them and for a different nonprofit of your choosing. Thanks for your help!

I think a really, really important thing is to use the CCG app shared on a ME/CFS friend's timeline or newsfeed to cast a vote and give them a bonus vote. Leave a message there on the friend's page, if possible, that you have used their app, so nobody else will use it (and waste potentially a good bonus vote, which could go to someone else).

The two top vote-getters in the poll held on Facebook were NIDA and Phoenix Rising. It appears to be a tie. Perhaps you may wish to consider voting for one or both of them or voting for one of them and for a different nonprofit of your choosing. Thanks for your help!

I think a really, really important thing is to use the CCG app shared on a ME/CFS friend's timeline or newsfeed to cast a vote and give them a bonus vote. Leave a message there on the friend's page, if possible, that you have used their app, so nobody else will use it (and waste potentially a good bonus vote, which could go to someone else).

I agree that if possible, it is vital to try to take advantage of this "bonus" vote by using this CCF app through Facebook. It will increase your voting power by 50%.

If anyone doesn't understand the voting process, please state your questions here and we will try to clarify.

This year, each person gets only 2 votes for the whole contest period through Facebook. If one uses the "bonus vote", it makes it three. In addition, if one is a Chase customer, one can get two votes through Chase on-line.

If you are thinking "why should I get involved with this?", I would say this is such a unique opportunity that it would be a real shame to pass up.

With just a few clicks of your mouse (which you are touching right now anyway), you can help one or more of these ME/CFS organizations earn much needed funding. This is really an easy one. You will feel good knowing that you did your part.

The links are updated - I couldn't figure out how to do that until today :(.

Phoenix Rising's Chase profile is very bare by the way but that's not for lack of trying. We uploaded several things to our page four or five days ago but they're not visible.

Nielk, I'm sorry to say that even after looking at the Chase contest material off and on for weeks, I still don't understand how to get the bonus point. I've just voted through my Chase account. Do I use my two Facebook votes and then figure out how to get the bonus vote?

Nielk, I'm sorry to say that even after looking at the Chase contest material off and on for weeks, I still don't understand how to get the bonus point. I've just voted through my Chase account. Do I use my two Facebook votes and then figure out how to get the bonus vote?

Please hold off for a bit Merry with the Facebook votes if you could....What I think is happening is

To Get SOMEBODY ELSE A Bonus Vote - click on an organizations profile in a friends timeline and then use one of your votes.. That will get them a bonus vote.

To Get YOURSELF a Bonus Vote - vote for a organization; it should then show up on your timeline and have one of your friends vote for it... (then either get rid of the link or warn everyone not to vote on it and vote using somebody else's timeline because each person only gets one bonus vote.

I think this is what's happening....if you vote for an organization it should up in your timeline and then if one of your friends clicks on it - you should get a bonus vote. ((for some reason Phoenix Rising is not yet showing in Timelines after someone has voted for it).

Eeee, sorry, Cort, but I used my Facebook votes. If I understand which part of Facebook is the timeline, it shows that I liked Chase Community Giving, Phoenix Rising an NEID Corporation, and Neuro Immune Diseases Alliance. It also says that I voted for Neuro Immune Diseases Alliance but does not say that I voted for Phoenix Rising an NEID Corporation although I did, twice.

Eeee, sorry, Cort, but I used my Facebook votes. If I understand which part of Facebook is the timeline, it shows that I liked Chase Community Giving, Phoenix Rising an NEID Corporation, and Neuro Immune Diseases Alliance. It also says that I voted for Neuro Immune Diseases Alliance but does not say that I voted for Phoenix Rising an NEID Corporation although I did, twice.
No problem...Thanks for voting for us :), I'll go to your timeline and try to vote for NIDA....and see what happens..​
On our Chase site it shows you voted :)
My vote for Phoenix Rising does not show up on my Facebook page or on Phoenix Rising's Facebook page. I wonder if we're having a problem....none of the banners, etc for Chase work for us, they're not uploading images to the site and votes aren't showing up on Facebook pages....and I can't vote for PR using my Chase account....I'll try and get in touch with them.​