• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford researchers' cooling glove 'better than steroids' – and helps solve physiological mystery,

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Hey, that's cool :rofl: I will try that, but with simple cold water instead of the expensive glove, between sets. I'd imagine that for muscle building, it'd be counterproductive.

But as far as recovery goes, that might be ideal for some with CFS - and lots more convenient (and tolerable) than sitting in a tub of ice water.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey, that's cool :rofl: I will try that, but with simple cold water instead of the expensive glove, between sets. I'd imagine that for muscle building, it'd be counterproductive.

But as far as recovery goes, that might be ideal for some with CFS - and lots more convenient (and tolerable) than sitting in a tub of ice water.

I use a cooling vest in the summer. I wonder how this fits into this discussion? It definitely makes a big difference in how I feel in hot weather.

Sushi

Sherlock

I use a cooling vest in the summer. I wonder how this fits into this discussion? It definitely makes a big difference in how I feel in hot weather.

Sushi
I actually wondering of there might be some unusual neural feedback from the palms to the arms and shouldersthat says, "turn down the inflammation". That'd go beyond mere temperature effects. Oh well, you never know.

natasa778

I actually wondering of there might be some unusual neural feedback from the palms to the arms and shouldersthat says, "turn down the inflammation". That'd go beyond mere temperature effects. Oh well, you never know.

That is a very interesting thought Sherlock!! In Chinese Medicine the centre of the palm point is called laogong and this is " where a number of meridian channels meet. ... this point is a radar for detecting blocks, energy sources and deficiencies." Acupuncture uses this point to "clear heat from the blood".

http://www.compassionatedragon.com/ac_p8.html
http://www.faqs.org/oc/Overcoming-Fatigue/Qi-gong-energy-exercise.html

peggy-sue

For donkey's years I've used the trick of putting my wrists and hands in cold runing water to cool down my whole body.
Loads of blood runs near the skin surface and it cools the blood down - it's just simple thermodynamics.

And a very old wive's tale!

xrayspex

sushi where do you get your cooling vest? i found an ms site on line that sold cooling clothes but i sent back the vest because it worked by being soaked in water and i want something dry. i do like the long ice pack things i got there that you can put ina kercheif and wear around your neck. I am always icing my head and neck in summer and it helps me handle heat and headaches etc i get from it.

Sherlock

That is a very interesting thought Sherlock!! In Chinese Medicine the centre of the palm point is called laogong and this is " where a number of meridian channels meet. ... this point is a radar for detecting blocks, energy sources and deficiencies." Acupuncture uses this point to "clear heat from the blood".

http://www.compassionatedragon.com/ac_p8.html
http://www.faqs.org/oc/Overcoming-Fatigue/Qi-gong-energy-exercise.html
After certain exercises I always get front-shoulder pain. So I tried holding an ice pack in my hand - that seemed to quickly diminish the pain somewhat, but it also caused pain in the palm so I'll have to repeat it a few times to factor that out :p