• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GOOD things happening!! Am I a responder???

Jacque

No ... he does not test for those that I am aware of... Dr K is an Immunologist ? Or something in that arena... He is brilliant when it comes to the Immune system...so I have complete TRUST in him in that regard. I will let you know if he tests for those things on my upcoming visit in Oct.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
So I guess my B Cells are now bein replenished (starts around 2 weeks) and what ever is causing my misery is now returning... .
Hi, Jacque. My total guess is that you have enough of the RTX in you for months in the future so that it will keep killing new B cells as they are manufactured. But if you do have greatly increased numbers of NK cells, then yes they might be making you feel bad. (I can't wait to hear the results on NK numbers when you get them :)

There's also the usual possibility that you crashed just from living it up for a few days straight. So, if you had to choose over again, would you have done those good 5 days the same? Or backed off and taken it easier? It's just a question from curiosity. I think if I were in your shoes, I would have done it just exactly how you did :) It was worth the price.

Also havin a nice little HSV outbreak... so I guess all hell is breakin loose....

That would tend to say that your B Cells and the antibodies they were making were keeping your latent HSV in check. Please keep us posted on that also. Good luck on your continued pioneering :)

[Edit: OOPS, I have to correct myself. Your anti-HSV antibodies should still be circulating, and your plasma cells that make those antibodies should also still be around. When B cells turn into the antibody-manufacturing plasma cells, they lose the part (CD20) on their surface that allows the RTX to kill them - so they shouldn't get killed. So the flareup of your HSV might be from some lack of signalling that the now deceased B cells used to be sending out.]

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
No ... he does not test for those that I am aware of... Dr K is an Immunologist ? Or something in that arena... He is brilliant when it comes to the Immune system...so I have complete TRUST in him in that regard. I will let you know if he tests for those things on my upcoming visit in Oct.
IIRC, Kogelnik is an Infectious Disease doc. Kati "bikechick" had her NK cell numbers posted on her blog; but come to think of it, she doesn't say if Kogelnik ordered that blood test of if some other doc did.

Jacque

Hi, Jacque. My total guess is that you have enough of the RTX in you for months in the future so that it will keep killing new B cells as they are manufactured. But if you do have greatly increased numbers of NK cells, then yes they might be making you feel bad. (I can't wait to hear the results on NK numbers when you get them :)

There's also the usual possibility that you crashed just from living it up for a few days straight. So, if you had to choose over again, would you have done those good 5 days the same? Or backed off and taken it easier? It's just a question from curiosity. I think if I were in your shoes, I would have done it just exactly how you did :) It was worth the price.

That would tend to say that your B Cells and the antibodies they were making were keeping your latent HSV in check. Please keep us posted on that also. Good luck on your continued pioneering :)

[Edit: OOPS, I have to correct myself. Your anti-HSV antibodies should still be circulating, and your plasma cells that make those antibodies should also still be around. When B cells turn into the antibody-manufacturing plasma cells, they lose the part (CD20) on their surface that allows the RTX to kill them - so they shouldn't get killed. So the flareup of your HSV might be from some lack of signalling that the now deceased B cells used to be sending out.]
Good Grief...how do you KNOW all of this... are you in the medical profession???

Jacque

He did not order any further blood work for me... He looked at my older blood work and he said it told him everything he needed to know... Mainly looking for LOW NK and HIGH Viral titres... Yes he is an Infectious Disease doc but it also says something else about immunology in his shingle... Something about Genome as well. I will pay more attention when I go in Oct.

alex3619

There is another possibility, related to elevated NK cells. Its known that there are alterations of T cell numbers in the CNS due to Rituximab. I do not think they die, I think they migrate due to lack of signals from the B cells that are missing. As a result gamma delta T cells can migrate out of the CNS. These cells have an immune suppressing as well as a pathogen targeting role. Its possible that if they migrate then the remaining immune cells, which includes NK cells, might become more active. If so, then as B cell numbers restore, or the gamma delta T cells migrate back, this problem will reverse itself. Bye, Alex

Jacque

There is another possibility, related to elevated NK cells. Its known that there are alterations of T cell numbers in the CNS due to Rituximab. I do not think they die, I think they migrate due to lack of signals from the B cells that are missing. As a result gamma delta T cells can migrate out of the CNS. These cells have an immune suppressing as well as a pathogen targeting role. Its possible that if they migrate then the remaining immune cells, which includes NK cells, might become more active. If so, then as B cell numbers restore, or the gamma delta T cells migrate back, this problem will reverse itself. Bye, Alex

Between you Alex and Sherlock...who needs a doctor... you two know more than most physicians about any of this... How do you retain it all... Your brains are obviously still VERY much intact... I am jealous....
Thanks for info!!!
Jac

IreneF

So Irene did your NK cells shoot up?? Just curious....

I don't know, we haven't talked about that. I'm not going back until December for my next infusion. I feel that the numbers are interesting but much less important than my overall condition. I don't think anyone knows whether higher NK functioning predicts improvement. We're the guinea pigs.

Jacque

Well it wasn't "my" idea of living it up...Im still not able to go honkey tonkin.... I just got out of my prison of a house each day... how pathetic!!! Where I do go wrong...is when I feel the "slightest" bit good I tend to do as much as I can, as fast as I can...before I crash again...Are you that way? I don't think that is something I could ever change...I have been living that way for 35 stinkin years... Would I do it all over... I don't know because it was sure depressingseeing how live is still goin on OUT THERE...and see what I am missing out on... :cry: Don't think the return of symptoms had anything to do with my outings... but who the hell knows...:(

Jacque

I don't know, we haven't talked about that. I'm not going back until December for my next infusion. I feel that the numbers are interesting but much less important than my overall condition. I don't think anyone knows whether higher NK functioning predicts improvement. We're the guinea pigs.
Oh I assumed that he had taken blood work around your 3rd infusion? Cant remember how many you have had...please forgive me... Are you still feelin suckey? Man it is rough to go out there and feel the pulse of life only to have to go back home. But at least I have a roof over my head and a couch to lay on... I know that Dr. K always talks about putting markers in the sand and seeing if they move...and I know he is referring to NK's and Virals... and I am sure many other things. Yes we are the guinea pigs... oink oink... oh wait they don't say that do they... hmmm I don't know what a Guinea Pig says... except... THIS SUCKS.....

peggy-sue

Guinea pigs chirrup.:)
I'm so sorry you're not "bouncing" any more and are feeling so bad now..... I do really, really hope that further treatment will help and for lots longer, in the future.:hug:

alex3619

Between you Alex and Sherlock...who needs a doctor... you two know more than most physicians about any of this... How do you retain it all... Your brains are obviously still VERY much intact... I am jealous....
Thanks for info!!!
Jac

Hi Jac, no, my brain is fubar, but I have been involved in the science for 19 years, and did do a biochem degree (with great difficulty, I almost dropped out in the final year due to exhaustion). Exerience counts. Bye, Alex

Jacque

Hi, Jacque. To me, the thing that really stood out about your experience so far was how the long standing infection was suddenly cleared up. That is extremely unlikely to be the result of any placebo or other psychological effect. I hope that you told that experience to Kogelnik. It stands out because it doesn't fit with the two main theories: that the RTX quenches an overactive immune system (B cells over stimulating T cells), or that the RTX suppresses autoimmune antibodies. With Kogelnik being an ID doc, I'd guess that he'd be very interested in how the RTX seems to have unexpectedly revved up your system to defeat the bacterial infection.

The other thing that stands out is how your relief of symptoms comes pretty fast, which also goes against the autoimmune antibody theory. (I know that Kogelnik was not believing so much in the antibody theory anyway.)

The reversal of your longstanding intolerance to alcohol deserves some analyzing :) That's very unexpected, to be tying in alcohol related enzymes to immune system changes. I hope you also have relayed that change to Kogelnik... that's a clue to something.

Has your body temperature changed? Sleeping patterns?

I can just imagine if the Norwegian subjects had been relaying their experiences as you are doing here, how greatly informative that would have been - instead, all we have is summary statistics.

Btw, you also have talked about increased bone pain. If I recall correctly, that's everywhere and not just in the neck. Did you know that bone pain can be caused by Lyme disease? I know you've said that you think you have Lyme.

Maybe the long standing infection and the bone pain both involved some organism (such as Lyme or some virus) that hides inside cells, and as the RTX killed off your B cells that somehow took away signalling inhibition of Natural Killer Cells or even CD8+ Killer T Cells.

This is very interesting, keep up the good work in reporting :)

Hi Sherlock,
No I have not seen any change in sleep patterns etc... (still can't go to sleep till 4am and get around noon) HATE THAT...No I did report all of this to Dr. K...but am keeping a good journal. The only thing that really improved is I went from saying NO...to doing anything to saying YES... When I said I drank alcohol it was ONE drink...grrrr ... I'd give anything to be able to party a little ever now and then...and even go dancin... What a novel idea???

I am certain I have Lyme as anytime I take any type of anti bacterial whether it be abx or natural i go to a VERY VERY BAD place... my brain burns in addition to every square inch of my body...and yes my pain is in entire spine down to coxxyx...but take majority of pain med due to neck on FIRE... When I take a Lyme killer or do a RIFE treatment my entire skeleton is on FIRE... The herxheimer is intolerable...and I have read that in some people that when they treat their Lyme it activated the XMRV virus...which I prob have. I know something is activated...cuz what I experience is not just an increase in symptoms... It is suicidal kinda of stuff.... :(

Why can I not get to sleep until 4am...no matter what time I go to bed? ugh...

I have also gained 6 lbs since starting the Rituxan... Just wanna eat everything... You know SEE food diet... some really STRONG cravings...

I have noticed since the Rituxan I am having INSANE hot flashes or sweats...it is AWFUL...havin one right now....ugh haven't checked my temp...but need to do that... haven't taken temp...should do that... I was thinkin these were hot flashes... but I'm thinkin not... prob immune related?

Ok...that was a BAD one... now I feel all sweaty and gross... gonna go shower... Sherlock you are amazing...appreciate you... I wish you were seeing Kogelnick so we could share experiences...

Jacque

I had a similar experience during July, but have spent most of August in bed or on the couch. What Dr. K told me was that improvement is "a day here and a day there". The most significant change to me was that I could rest and *recover*. Some of my symptoms did not ameliorate, such as POTS. So enjoy it while you can, but please don't overdo it.

Where do you live that you can see the whale migration from land? It's something I've wanted to see for years. Here (SF) one can go on whale-watching cruises, but they are iffy propositions.

Irene
Irene...have you noticed INSANE hot flashes/sweats? whew...don't know if this is menopause or my immune system...so much fun being a WOMAN...:cautious:

Jacque

Hi Jac, no, my brain is fubar, but I have been involved in the science for 19 years, and did do a biochem degree (with great difficulty, I almost dropped out in the final year due to exhaustion). Exerience counts. Bye, Alex
You are killin me... I call this FUBAR disease to all of my friends.... Or Cluster F disease!!! I am sorry your brain is as bad as mine... Brilliant people reduced to desperate individuals... just wanting to LIVE... Your degree explains your understanding of all of this... I just hear 60% of peeps with ME are gettin better and say hook me up... pathetic...
Irene...have you noticed INSANE hot flashes/sweats? whew...don't know if this is menopause or my immune system...so much fun being a WOMAN...:cautious:

Also Irene...the whales are here in Calif...and headin YOUR way.... I live by Pismo Beach... I heard they are gone now and headed North...so go get on one of those whale watchin boats...bc it is MAGICAL!!!!!

IreneF

Except for my positive experience in July I haven't noticed any changes. I try not to pay attention to every little thing, otherwise I'm afraid the wait will feel infinite.

I had the whole hot flash experience a few years ago, over with that. I do often feel a tad feverish but that is nothing new.