• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how to eliminate chlorine in chlorinated water?

Cindi

Hi all
I wish to take some detox baths but our water is chlorinated. Do you know any ways to remove chlorine?I thought of adding some iodine compound. I have some lugol's or potassium iodide. Would any of these work any ideas on how much to add to a bath tub? thanks.

GracieJ

Not sure how much Lugol's it would take, probably a lot.

There are bath balls you can purchase that will neutralize the chlorine. You can also buy filters, either for individual shower heads, or for the water coming into your entire house. Google bath ball chlorine filter and take your pick.

Also, just leaving water to stand overnight will allow chlorine to escape. (Remember letting water stand so your goldfish won't die??) It would be a pain to heat it back up, but amazingly enough, you only need a gallon or two of hot water in a bath for the water to be warm enough.

Cindi

There are bath balls you can purchase that will neutralize the chlorine. You can also buy filters, either for individual shower heads, or for the water coming into your entire house. Google bath ball chlorine filter and take your pick.

Also, just leaving water to stand overnight will allow chlorine to escape. (Remember letting water stand so your goldfish won't die??) It would be a pain to heat it back up, but amazingly enough, you only need a gallon or two of hot water in a bath for the water to be warm enough.
Great info. Thanks Gracie!

SOC

Many cities now use chloramine instead of chlorine to treat the water. It is more chemically stable, I think. Unlike chlorine, chloramine will not escape if the water is allowed to stand. Many people have killed their fish that way in the years since chloramine became common. ;)

There are chemicals available in pet stores to remove chlorine and chloramine (and ammonia) from tap water. I don't know if you'd want to bathe in them, though. :confused:

Maybe some kind of water filter on your bath tap would work....??

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi all
I wish to take some detox baths but our water is chlorinated. Do you know any ways to remove chlorine?I thought of adding some iodine compound. I have some lugol's or potassium iodide. Would any of these work any ideas on how much to add to a bath tub? thanks.

You can also put filters on the shower head--then you would have to fill the bath from the shower though!

Sushi

Cindi

Many cities now use chloramine instead of chlorine to treat the water. It is more chemically stable, I think. Unlike chlorine, chloramine will not escape if the water is allowed to stand. Many people have killed their fish that way in the years since chloramine became common. ;)

There are chemicals available in pet stores to remove chlorine and chloramine (and ammonia) from tap water. I don't know if you'd want to bathe in them, though. :confused:

Maybe some kind of water filter on your bath tap would work....??
Himm.. Thanks alot!

Sean

A small amount of vitamin C will immediately and permanently neutralise both chlorine and chloramine. Get it as sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid powder from health food stores.

You only need literally a very small pinch, a little goes a very long way. From memory, a gram will treat 1000 litres of municipal tap water with standard levels of chlorine/chloramine.

Very cheap, easy, and safe. Can be done for your drinking water as well.

It is an old brewer's trick. Delivered unto you by an old brewer.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
It is an old brewer's trick. Delivered unto you by an old brewer.
Haha, thanks for the unexpected laugh, Sean :) On that good note, I'll end reading here for tonight, before I stumble onto something depressing in some other thread.

But before I log off, I'll mention that I took a quick look and see there are even vit C showerhead chlorine filters.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Check your local pet supply stores. They have something that you can put just a few drops in the water and the chlorine is gone. I think you may hav to let it sit for about 15 mins., but it will get rid of the chlorine. It has to pretty safe as quite a few aquarium fish are just ultra sensitive to chlorine.

With many of these fish selling anywhere from $5 to $500 they are not about to put something in the water that is going to harm their fish in the least way. As a of matter of fact, you may very well be able to look it up on the internet and possible jump into one of the many forums about aquariums and fish either saltwater or freshwater and find out which of all the products is considered the safest and look it up and see what it uses to dispose of the chlorine.

Just a thought!!!

P.S. - Was doing some quick reading and it appears that a large amount of municipalities do not use chlorine in the water treatment process anymore. Instead they use a chemical called chloramine now. The only way to find out is to call Public Works and tell them you have to know due to medical reasons and that it is imperative for you to exactly which chemical is used.

Learn something new everyday as I have not even heard of chloramine. I would have hated for you to treat for the removal of chlorine, when the chloramine product was being used. Could have completely ruined your detox process.

Good Luck

Sean

Get it as sodium ascorbate or ascorbic acid powder from health food stores.
Food grade, of course.

But before I log off, I'll mention that I took a quick look and see there are even vit C showerhead chlorine filters.
Interesting.

Sean

August59

That is true. But also more expensive. Partly because those formulations are also for dealing with ammonia in the water, which is not an issue for normal tap water for human use.

A 500 g (1 pound) bag of one of those powders I mentioned is about $12 (AUD, last time I got one), and will keep forever in a good air tight jar in the fridge.

Rand56

Sodium Thiosulfate is a de-chlorinator. You can buy it online from a chemical company. It's not all that expensive. Obviously not for the sulfur sensitive folk.

"Sodium thiosulfate is a natural substance found in hot
water springs. It is one of the secret ingredients,

which gives these springs their healing power"

http://naturalallopathic.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=83&Itemid=111

For the proper use of it I would suggest reading about it in both of these links...

www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/sodium_thiosulfate.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/sodium_thiosulfate_questions.html

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
August59

That is true. But also more expensive. Partly because those formulations are also for dealing with ammonia in the water, which is not an issue for normal tap water for human use.

A 500 g (1 pound) bag of one of those powders I mentioned is about $12 (AUD, last time I got one), and will keep forever in a good air tight jar in the fridge.

Oh hell yes that would be expensive. I had in my head when I read the post that it is was going to be stored finite amount of water.

Bu, to just double check on one thing. If her water has chloramine, instead of chlorine will Vitamin C or sodium ascorbate remove chloramine, if in fact chloramine is even a problem?

Thanks for the info Sean

Sean

Bu, to just double check on one thing. If her water has chloramine, instead of chlorine will Vitamin C or sodium ascorbate remove chloramine, if in fact chloramine is even a problem?

Yes, Vit C neutralises both.

Don't know what serious health problems chloramine might cause, if any.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
We have a Berkey filter. They are wonderful and so pretty.

berkeystand2.jpg

hydrogen peroxide neutralizes chlorine.
I was a white water raft guide in my healthy days, and we used to take multi-day trips down rivers where we had to clean the water to drink it. We had a microbiologist set us up with a system of filtering the water and then using chlorine (clorox) to kill viruses, then after it sat for a while, we added hydrogen peroxide (H202). It binds with the chlorine and renders it inert.

On the boat we used food grade 30% H202. It's not that easy to find, and since you're just putting it in your bath, you can probably use over-the-counter H202 and just add more. We added very small amounts (one cap of chlorine and maybe 3 drops of 30% H202) . We needed to carry small amounts as space was limited on the boats. Just a note, higher concentrations of H202 can burn, and rubbing alcohol neutralizes H202. We carried the three in a water purification pack: chlorine, Hydrogen Peroxide and alcohol.
For over-the-counter H202 that is not a problem.

When you add H202 to chlorinated water there will no longer be a taste nor smell. You might try adding small amounts to start and see if you can smell the chlorine.
I would do the math to see how much you need, but the illness has rendered me math impaired. I can't trust my calculations anymore. A couple of tablespoons will not hurt you and may be a good place to start (of what you can buy in the grocery store).