• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hyperadrenergic Postural Tachycardia Syndrome in Mast Cell Activation Disorders

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/45/3/385.full

A circulating vasodilator could produce reflex sympathetic activation, presenting clinically as “hyperadrenergic” POTS.

It seems to me that it could be that many people with orthostatic conditions are misdiagnosed as having a neural origin. After all, what would make more sense than blood pooling in the legs being caused by excessive dilation?

(Excess histamine being caused directly by a genetic defect in Mast Cells, or the MTHFR defect which causes excess histamine indirectly.)

SOC

Dang! Sounds like me. I think I've got hyperadrenergic POTS. I've been hypersensitive to vasodilators all my adult life, which would make sense if I've got a constantly circulating vasodilator, right?

Don't have time to do more than skim the abstract this morning, but it sure looks like I should be looking into mast cell activation.

If it's not one thing, it's another. Or, from a different POV, every little bit helps.

xchocoholic

I don't have flusing but I have other allergic reactions.

Since I feel healthy after laying down for an hour I wonder if this applies to me. My oi starts
when I'm upright and my hypoperfusion builds until I have to lay down.

I'm going to try anti histamies tho, probably holistic first.

Tc .. C

Sherlock

Dang! Sounds like me. I think I've got hyperadrenergic POTS. I've been hypersensitive to vasodilators all my adult life, which would make sense if I've got a constantly circulating vasodilator, right?

Don't have time to do more than skim the abstract this morning, but it sure looks like I should be looking into mast cell activation.

If it's not one thing, it's another. Or, from a different POV, every little bit helps.
Yes, if you know that you have a condition involving vasodilation, then it's prudent to first suspect that condition also causes any orthostatic effects - rather than assuming an unrelated neural cause for POTS.

I think that the whole histamine approach is encouraging, because it means not being dragged inexorably down into some black hole mystery of CFS.

Sherlock

I don't have flusing but I have other allergic reactions.

Since I feel healthy after laying down for an hour I wonder if this applies to me. My oi starts
when I'm upright and my hypoperfusion builds until I have to lay down.

I'm going to try anti histamies tho, probably holistic first.

Tc .. C
I find that I have some allergic type effects and not others (which also means no hay fever), and that mix of symptoms also changes over time.

One example: I took quercetin 500mg at 4am and at 8 am I didn't have the sore bottoms-of-feet that I'd have on the previous two mornings. The sore feet was such a puzzling symptom, until I made the connection that there are lots of mast cells (since hands and feet are more likely to get injured than other body parts.)

What anti-histamines will you be trying? (And I hope you post back on how it worked for you :)

SOC

Yes, if you know that you have a condition involving vasodilation, then it's prudent to first suspect that condition also causes any orthostatic effects - rather than assuming an unrelated neural cause for POTS.

I think that the whole histamine approach is encouraging, because it means not being dragged inexorably down into some black hole mystery of CFS.

Agreed. But now I have a whole new area to research. :p

Sherlock

Agreed. But now I have a whole new area to research. :p
I'm going to hit myself with most of the anti-histamine strategies I know of, in the coming days. That includes methionine, which supposedly helps with histamine breakdown. (I'd wondered why I had such a huge attraction to cheese since the spring, when my ferocious insomnia started. Cheese has methionine.)

SOC

I'm going to hit myself with most of the anti-histamine strategies I know of, in the coming days. That includes methionine, which supposedly helps with histamine breakdown. (I'd wondered why I had such a huge attraction to cheese since the spring, when my ferocious insomnia started. Cheese has methionine.)

Let me know how it goes. Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps. :)

xchocoholic

Hi,

I've been taking 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of Target brand children's dye free benadryl at night for throat swelling
and it's working so I may try taking it during the day. I've used this for about 5 years now as needed
for severe allergic reactions. It's gf as far as I can tell. At least I don't react to it.

I'm at a loss on which way to go with
this so I'm going to have to research it. On the Dinet board, I see people using a wide variety of anti histimes.
But the last time I tried allegra, claritin, etc they knocked me out. I didn't try the children's yet tho. I just saw
that Allegra has a children's dye free.

Fwiw, my strategy, per my doctor, has been to avoid allergens so I've modified my diet to the best of my abilities. I'm on the Wahls diet. I can't afford Alcat and I'm too tired to rotate foods or shop for healthier foods so now I'm looking for meds or supplements. I CAN'T eat certain foods (esp gluten, dairy, soy, coffee, chocolate, etc. ) but at least I have a good idea which ones those are now.

Tc .. X

SOC

xchocoholic
Have you tried Zyrtec? Daughter and I have taken it twice a day for years with no sedating effect. I also take Tylenol PM (has fast-acting Benadryl in it) at bedtime because it is sedating.

xchocoholic

Hi soc,

Thanks. I "think" I did but I'm going to have to experiment with these again. It's been a few years ...

I'll be looking at supplements too.

Tc ... X

taniaaust1

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/45/3/385.full

It seems to me that it could be that many people with orthostatic conditions are misdiagnosed as having a neural origin. After all, what would make more sense than blood pooling in the legs being caused by excessive dilation?

(Excess histamine being caused directly by a genetic defect in Mast Cells, or the MTHFR defect which causes excess histamine indirectly.)

Interesting. Thanks. I have hyperadrenergic POTS (with also low blood volume POTS) and also have the MTHFR defect. So it was interesting me to find out these can be connected (I only got the POTS after Id had ME for a while).

Sherlock

Interesting. Thanks. I have hyperadrenergic POTS (with also low blood volume POTS) and also have the MTHFR defect. So it was interesting me to find out these can be connected (I only got the POTS after Id had ME for a while).
Orthostatic hypoT was my very 1st symptom (after the bad cold subsided). I was doing deadlifts with no problem. Then after the final rep, I let go of the bar, stood up and almost fell over. That repeated a few times afterwards. Also, once I ws standing still talking to someone and started getting nausea, as if from brain hypoxia. I said "I have to go" and as soon as I started walking I was okay. So apparently for me, the leg muscles activating keep the blood from pooling and my brain gets blood.

Sherlock

I was doing deadlifts with no problem. Then after the final rep, I let go of the bar, stood up and almost fell over.
And I've seen a youtube video of that very thing in a normal person - except he did fall, and hit his face on a nearby gym machine.

Vincent

I find that I have some allergic type effects and not others (which also means no hay fever), and that mix of symptoms also changes over time.

One example: I took quercetin 500mg at 4am and at 8 am I didn't have the sore bottoms-of-feet that I'd have on the previous two mornings. The sore feet was such a puzzling symptom, until I made the connection that there are lots of mast cells (since hands and feet are more likely to get injured than other body parts.)

What anti-histamines will you be trying? (And I hope you post back on how it worked for you :)

I haven't read that article but I will at some point but when you mentioned feet. When my orthostatic issues are going I tend to get this weird feeling in my feet, it's like a buzzing; I also become very tired when I stand up. Now 15 years ago I would pass out but I don't anymore. When I lay down I 'wake up' and can think and function, my feet also then feel normal.

Shell

I get the flushing. Hate it! It's so embarrassing.
Buzzing achy feet and heavy achy calfs when I stand for any length of time. Then horrible cramps at times once I've sat down.
I've wondered about taking antihists to see what would happen.
I am awaiting a PoTS Cardio appt. I wonder what he'll come up with.

taniaaust1

I get the flushing. Hate it! It's so embarrassing.
Buzzing achy feet and heavy achy calfs when I stand for any length of time. Then horrible cramps at times once I've sat down.
I've wondered about taking antihists to see what would happen.
I am awaiting a PoTS Cardio appt. I wonder what he'll come up with.

best luck with the POTS cardio appointment.

xks201

O ok so lets all take h1 or h2 receptor antagonists like the article says or a central central sympatholytic and get better.