• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! Anybody got MAF 878 instructions for making/taking?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've just received my MAF starter kit from Dr Enlander - all excited - but there's no instruction sheet and his office will be closed until Tuesday.

Does anyone with a recent set of instructions from him (I gather they get updated) tell me how to make the MAF? I'd like to buy the ingredients this afternoon and start it going today.

Less urgent, but are there also any instructions about how to take it? How much, when, with what, etc.? Prof Ruggiero in his video mentions holding it in your mouth (or something) to activate the receptors in the pharynx.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Another question! I'm going to make up only half of the MAF because my fridge isn't big enough for a gallon jar. How should I store the half of MAF I'm keeping back? In the fridge? Room temp?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
And another question! My MAF starter arrived in a tupperware container with tabs that fold over the top and lock the lid shut. It was leaking when it arrived (still smells fine) so I rinsed the outside of the container and it's now standing on my kitchen top. I just heard a weird squishy noise coming from the kitchen and it has leaked again from the lid even though the liquid is at the bottom - I think it's expanding inside or must be producing a gas or something. Is that normal?

There are alien invasion movies that start off like this, just checking...

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've found this on an old (June) ebay listing for MAF 878 by Dr Enlander's office:

new updated instructions stronger starter kit

Use 1 gallon wide mouth glass jar

add complete jar of STARTER KIT
then add
one pint of yoghurt
one quart kefir
one pint whole cream

to make one months supply of MAF 878. Take 2.5 ounces (75 ml) daily each morning wit food. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon flax seed oil to reduce gastric enzyme digestive effect on MAF 878

Keep mixture at approx 80 degrees F for five days before use.
After 10 days keep mixture in refrigerator

Is it right that it doesn't matter what kind of yoghurt (doesn't have to be probiotic or whatever), and that it's not "whole cream" but full cream milk (i.e. milk with nothing taken out)?

Presumably you stir it up? Am I right in thinking it needs to be with a wooden spoon, not a metal one? Can't remember where I've read all this stuff!

ukxmrv

That sounds right. I can't find my original instructions right now sorry! Yes, it's full cream milk not pure cream. Yes to the wooden spoon as well and Dr Enlander said it needs to be a clean one spoon used for the yoghurt stirring only. Stir once a day. The glass jar needs a wide mouth so it can be stirred.

Check with Dr Enlander about the broken container, What colour is the liquid? There was no extra gas from my mixture so I am wondering if it has already fermented and is not usable? Hope it is OK.

Not sure how long the half MAF will last for. I got the impression that it would be OK in the fridge for a week. I made the whole amount and then froze the excess.

We had a discussion about the yoghurt on another thread. I used an organic probiotic yoghurt but I don't know how important that is or if the cultures matter?

Good luck!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, uk - the liquid is a pale yellow, custard-y sort of colour. The container isn't broken - I think the pressure of something going on inside has forced liquid out, since I heard it doing the same thing in my kitchen just now. It smells fine.

Argh! Not sure whether to crack on and make it up (am a bit worried about just letting it sit there) or send it back. Just paid £10 to have it express delivered.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just lifted the tabs to give it a sniff (smells fine) and got sprayed! It was under pressure in there. It has also expanded in volume - was half full when it arrived three hours ago and now it's three quarters full.

I'm going to have to do something with it soon or it's going to take over the kitchen!

I thought I read on that big MAF thread that freezing kills it!

ukxmrv

The colour sounds the same as the one I received. Not sure about the pressure and forcing the liquid out though sorry.

I also read about the freezing killing the MAF but that may have been a reference to the initial culture? When I had the MAF314 I froze that and had some success with the thawed result so thought I would take a risk with the extra MAF878 once it was made.

Rrrr

I've found this on an old (June) ebay listing for MAF 878 by Dr Enlander's office:

Is it right that it doesn't matter what kind of yoghurt (doesn't have to be probiotic or whatever), and that it's not "whole cream" but full cream milk (i.e. milk with nothing taken out)?

Presumably you stir it up? Am I right in thinking it needs to be with a wooden spoon, not a metal one? Can't remember where I've read all this stuff!

HI THERE,

these instructions are correct. i just made some last wk and was given the same instructions.

also, mine also leaked getting to me.

also, mine was also under pressure from expanding.

also, you want to use "whole milk" which is what it is called here in the USA, we don't call it full cream milk here. it just means not low-fat milk.

also, you can use goat keifer and goat yogurt and goat milk. i did.

also, they say to use a clean wooden spoon dedicated just to this. i do'nt know why it has to be wooden, tho, really! why?

rrrr

Rrrr

Another question! I'm going to make up only half of the MAF because my fridge isn't big enough for a gallon jar. How should I store the half of MAF I'm keeping back? In the fridge? Room temp?

i'd store it in the fridge. but i'm not sure. also, you have to make the starter kit into MAF878 within 6 wks, i heard. then once made into MAF878, it can last 2 months. i would store all this in the fridge and not the freezer.

Rrrr

That sounds right. I can't find my original instructions right now sorry! Yes, it's full cream milk not pure cream. Yes to the wooden spoon as well and Dr Enlander said it needs to be a clean one spoon used for the yoghurt stirring only. Stir once a day. The glass jar needs a wide mouth so it can be stirred.

Check with Dr Enlander about the broken container, What colour is the liquid? There was no extra gas from my mixture so I am wondering if it has already fermented and is not usable? Hope it is OK.

Not sure how long the half MAF will last for. I got the impression that it would be OK in the fridge for a week. I made the whole amount and then froze the excess.

We had a discussion about the yoghurt on another thread. I used an organic probiotic yoghurt but I don't know how important that is or if the cultures matter?

Good luck!

i think it is okay to use if it is "already fermented" or at least i hope so. mine smelled and now tastes fermented. if anyone asks enlander, tell us his answer!

i also used an organic yogurt that had probiotics in it.

Rrrr

Thanks, uk - the liquid is a pale yellow, custard-y sort of colour. The container isn't broken - I think the pressure of something going on inside has forced liquid out, since I heard it doing the same thing in my kitchen just now. It smells fine.

Argh! Not sure whether to crack on and make it up (am a bit worried about just letting it sit there) or send it back. Just paid £10 to have it express delivered.

i'd jsut make it. it came to me in the USA exactly the same as it came to you (some spillage). i called the office and they said it was fine to make it.

Rrrr

if you have any more question, feel free to private message me, as i don't check all the threads of discussion often.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Rrrr - that's all great info. I've just been out buying the yoghurt (there was only probiotic, that's the kind of area I live in!) and milk and a big glass bowl. Forgot to buy a new wooden spoon in all the excitement but I will sterilise one with boiling water and keep it just for this.

I could only get 1 pint of kefir (I've phoned every healthfood shop in reach and that's all there is til the end of next week) so I think I'm going to make it with a pint each of yoghurt, milk and kefir, rather than the 2 pints kefir. I hope that's near enough!

Argh, hope it's going to turn out OK!

olliec

To anyone who's made the mixture upalready.... I put the MAF878 in with the yoghurt, milk and kefir five days ago, and it doesn't seem to be doing much. I had a few bubbles the first three days, but now nothing. It looks the same and seems to be doing nothing. Is that usual? Is there any way to tell when it's "done"?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Mine is at 2.5 days and doesn't sound like yours - on the first day, it separated with fluid at the bottom half and sort of granular creamy stuff at the top. At the end of the day I stirred it and by the end of the next day the creamy stuff had dispersed all the way through. I stirred it, and this morning there's a thin layer of fluid at the top and the creamy stuff at the bottom.

So it has undergone changes. I thought it would be thickening up by now, maybe, but it isn't.

ukxmrv

Ollie, how warm is it where you are? Mine looked just like Sasha's is describing except whenever I stirred it the thick layer always came back on top.

olliec

I'm in London, but when I started making the MAF it was pretty warm, 25 degrees or so. I left it out (covered) for a week, and then put it in the fridge. It seems stable and although I don't find the smell very pleasant, it doesn't trigger any sense in me that's it's off or inedible, it just smells a bit cheesey. The consistency remains like yoghurt with no separation, tho the goat yoghurt I used was pretty thick so that may be why. I did a half-batch initially, so will be doing batch two in a week or so. I've not noticed anything yet (just the inevitable gas) but it's early days.

ukxmrv

Ollie, did you see the video from Dr Ruggerio? He suggested keeping the yogurt in the mouth before swallowing it. As I didn't have the big throat area reaction from the MAF878 (and I did from the MAF314) I'm going to try that for now.

I'm having a little break from the MAF878 as I've had a bad week of body pain, black spots in front of my eyes and my eyelids flickering.