• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rich------Suggestions for CBS Mutation

greenshots

Unless you have the Suox or you've tested positive for alotta sulfites, I wouldn't get rid of anything altogether. My doc doesn't play it that way at all. Sure I can't eat loads of broccoli or brussel sprouts all day long but I do eat them. She says the benefits of increasing phase 1-2 detox thru the liver is more important than small and regular portions of sulfur. To give you an idea, I just made an gigantic crockpot with all homemade ingredients.
Gr. turkey sauted with green onion, mushrooms, and garlic
Red baby potatoes
Salt and pepper
More fresh Mushrooms
Almond milk
Buckwheat flour (no wheat in buckwheat at all) to thicken the milk
2 tblspoon ghee (for richness and good fats)

And my family loved it! plus I have a giant crockpot so froze 4 remaining dinners for them.

Yes, garlic and onion have sulfur but they aren't bad for you unless you put piles of them in everything you make. My kids have my crappy genes so I'm cooking for their CBS too.

You can't get rid of all of anything or you cause problems everywhere else. I did that with my oldest boy early on and when we got rid of all of the phenols and sulfur, we brought in too much protein or processed stuff or something else, it was always something. Then I met my doc and she told me not to do this since she is a big advocate of moderation.

Also, if you are hungry like you are and aren't prone to vegetarian foods then you should see gestalts thread on metabolic typing. You sound more like a parasympathetic and they need meat. Maybe start using yucca like he did.

nuts are great! esp high selenium nuts like brazil and walnuts. Almonds are good too. just be sure they're raw and its best to soak them or you can absorb what you need to.

freshveggies

Unless you have the Suox or you've tested positive for alotta sulfites, I wouldn't get rid of anything altogether. My doc doesn't play it that way at all. Sure I can't eat loads of broccoli or brussel sprouts all day long but I do eat them. She says the benefits of increasing phase 1-2 detox thru the liver is more important than small and regular portions of sulfur. To give you an idea, I just made an gigantic crockpot with all homemade ingredients.
Gr. turkey sauted with green onion, mushrooms, and garlic
Red baby potatoes
Salt and pepper
More fresh Mushrooms
Almond milk
Buckwheat flour (no wheat in buckwheat at all) to thicken the milk
2 tblspoon ghee (for richness and good fats)

And my family loved it! plus I have a giant crockpot so froze 4 remaining dinners for them.

Yes, garlic and onion have sulfur but they aren't bad for you unless you put piles of them in everything you make. My kids have my crappy genes so I'm cooking for their CBS too.

You can't get rid of all of anything or you cause problems everywhere else. I did that with my oldest boy early on and when we got rid of all of the phenols and sulfur, we brought in too much protein or processed stuff or something else, it was always something. Then I met my doc and she told me not to do this since she is a big advocate of moderation.

Also, if you are hungry like you are and aren't prone to vegetarian foods then you should see gestalts thread on metabolic typing. You sound more like a parasympathetic and they need meat. Maybe start using yucca like he did.

nuts are great! esp high selenium nuts like brazil and walnuts. Almonds are good too. just be sure they're raw and its best to soak them or you can absorb what you need to.

Hi Greenshots, thanks for the suggestions. I am getting myself so worked up over this worrying that I am not doing it good enough and therefore won't get better. I am trying to eat protein only once a day and then add in nuts.
I don't think I am parasympathetic dominant, but I will check out that thread and see what it says. I just eat meat, because I felt it was better than me eating so many carbs as I don't do well on them. They make me balloon up. I will be testing my oldest this week for his genes to see what was passed down.
Have you read anyother threads or boards that deal with the CBS Gene?

What have you done to help the liver? I don't think I am doing anything for that.

Thank you

greenshots

The MTHFR a1298c capsules from Holistic health are great for liver and cbs problems. I think they help the urea cycle too since they boost bh4 levels.

I've read all the Yasko stuff on the cbs so if you go on her forum, you'll see a ton of stuff about that. She also has a bunch of videos on Vimeo that go over all of the methylation stuff in alotta detail so if your really interested, its out there.

freshveggies

The MTHFR a1298c capsules from Holistic health are great for liver and cbs problems. I think they help the urea cycle too since they boost bh4 levels.

I've read all the Yasko stuff on the cbs so if you go on her forum, you'll see a ton of stuff about that. She also has a bunch of videos on Vimeo that go over all of the methylation stuff in alotta detail so if your really interested, its out there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look. I have looked on the forums and there is so much info and I don't see anyone thread for CBS---just seems to be all over.. I will check out the videos.

greenshots

You have to do a search like this to narrow it down
Cbs+ammonia+love+hope+hug

That narrows it down to what yasko has written instead of alotta random stuff

Here's an excerpt on mthfr caps

The question has been raised as to whether you take the A1298C compounded capsules INSTEAD of these other supplements or in addition to them? Well, I have designed the A1298C capsules to replace the need for NADH, OraLiv, Milk Thistle, Dandelion leaf and BioOrgan/BioThyro and perhaps may replace the need for BH4. The amount of green tea and vitamin D is too low to serve as a replacement and is designed to be there in lower doses to support enzyme function with respect to the liver and natural BH4 production. However, this program is very customized and personalized. So the NADH, OraLiv, biopterin etc in the A1298C capsules may or may not totally replace these other supplements depending on your personal biochemistry. I am expecting that in some cases we will need to tweak the support once you have shifted to the A1298C capsules and what the follow up biochemistry looks like. For instance, if you are taking A1298C capsules yet the benzoic ratio is still off on a MAP, I might suggest either increasing the number of A1298C capsules per day or adding in low does prescription BH4. If the indole acetic acid and certain krebs intermediates are off or if pyroglutamate is too high I might suggest adding more NADH. If your ALT, AST, and alkaline phos are too high on a blood test I might suggest additional OraLiv and Organ support RNA for added liver support. SO…the idea is to make a shift to the A1298C capsules and then add in more NADH, BH4 support etc if it is indicated on a biochemical test. Based on what I have seen so far with the testing of this product I honestly do feel that in most cases it is going to replace the need for these other supplements. Can you stay with all of your current supplements and add the A1298C capsules in addition? Yes of course you can. But I have been trying to simplify the program and reduce cost and the sheer number of supplements so I am not suggesting that you simply add the A1298C capsules on top of everything else you are already doing. However, if you want to do that, go ahead. That is what I have done and they really do make me feel great.

freshveggies

You have to do a search like this to narrow it down
Cbs+ammonia+love+hope+hug

That narrows it down to what yasko has written instead of alotta random stuff

Here's an excerpt on mthfr caps

The question has been raised as to whether you take the A1298C compounded capsules INSTEAD of these other supplements or in addition to them? Well, I have designed the A1298C capsules to replace the need for NADH, OraLiv, Milk Thistle, Dandelion leaf and BioOrgan/BioThyro and perhaps may replace the need for BH4. The amount of green tea and vitamin D is too low to serve as a replacement and is designed to be there in lower doses to support enzyme function with respect to the liver and natural BH4 production. However, this program is very customized and personalized. So the NADH, OraLiv, biopterin etc in the A1298C capsules may or may not totally replace these other supplements depending on your personal biochemistry. I am expecting that in some cases we will need to tweak the support once you have shifted to the A1298C capsules and what the follow up biochemistry looks like. For instance, if you are taking A1298C capsules yet the benzoic ratio is still off on a MAP, I might suggest either increasing the number of A1298C capsules per day or adding in low does prescription BH4. If the indole acetic acid and certain krebs intermediates are off or if pyroglutamate is too high I might suggest adding more NADH. If your ALT, AST, and alkaline phos are too high on a blood test I might suggest additional OraLiv and Organ support RNA for added liver support. SO…the idea is to make a shift to the A1298C capsules and then add in more NADH, BH4 support etc if it is indicated on a biochemical test. Based on what I have seen so far with the testing of this product I honestly do feel that in most cases it is going to replace the need for these other supplements. Can you stay with all of your current supplements and add the A1298C capsules in addition? Yes of course you can. But I have been trying to simplify the program and reduce cost and the sheer number of supplements so I am not suggesting that you simply add the A1298C capsules on top of everything else you are already doing. However, if you want to do that, go ahead. That is what I have done and they really do make me feel great.
Thanks for this info.---- I have this gene
MTHFR C677T +/-
and not A1298C. so does that mean I would not that vitamin?
Also thanks for the hint on searching. I didn't know about adding the +

greenshots

yes, you could still take them since it doesn't matter if you even have an MTHFR or not since most likely you'd have an NOS or a CBS or something else sucking up your bh4. I see them as liver, Bh4 and CBS helpers and as my doc said, who doesn't need liver and bh4 support in this toxic age? But I guess people who don't do so well on the herbs, like my best friend with mcs & fm may not like it but otherwise, most would.

freshveggies

yes, you could still take them since it doesn't matter if you even have an MTHFR or not since most likely you'd have an NOS or a CBS or something else sucking up your bh4. I see them as liver, Bh4 and CBS helpers and as my doc said, who doesn't need liver and bh4 support in this toxic age? But I guess people who don't do so well on the herbs, like my best friend with mcs & fm may not like it but otherwise, most would.
Thanks for the claification. My sulfate strips still say 1200. I can't get it to come down. Do you have any idea why?

greenshots

You either have a partial Suox, which is one of the problems with 23&me, or your cbs is working alott harder and dumping everything out to sulfur. Unless your eating a ton of it, and that did'nt seem to be the case on your diet talk. I'd get some molybdenum, b-12, and I think manganese, going.

freshveggies

You either have a partial Suox, which is one of the problems with 23&me, or your cbs is working alott harder and dumping everything out to sulfur. Unless your eating a ton of it, and that did'nt seem to be the case on your diet talk. I'd get some molybdenum, b-12, and I think manganese, going.

I am taking 500mg molybdenum, 15,0000mb12 and not manganese yet.

Is this enough molybdenum?

I will buy some managanese--that was on my list to ask my doctor. I don't think she knows why my sulfate strps are still high---she wondered if they were defective-- No they aren't as I tried it during the day and they were 400.

What does it mean if the CBS is working harder and dumping everything out to sulfur? also where would the sulfate be coming from?

I am eating very little sulfur.

freshveggies

Hi Greenshots, I read this on another board about manganese.
Manganese severely impairs glutamate uptake by the astrocytes leading to high extracellular glutamate concentrations in the brain. The receptors get overly stimulated and activated leading to excitoxicity. I have also read that manganese accumulation is possibly implicated as one of the causes for ALS (along with aluminum, other heavy metals, etc....)
And it may play a role in alzheimers.

http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/222/2/99.full.pdf+html

Have you ever heard of this?

richvank

Hi Greenshots, I read this on another board about manganese.
Manganese severely impairs glutamate uptake by the astrocytes leading to high extracellular glutamate concentrations in the brain. The receptors get overly stimulated and activated leading to excitoxicity. I have also read that manganese accumulation is possibly implicated as one of the causes for ALS (along with aluminum, other heavy metals, etc....)
And it may play a role in alzheimers.

http://ebm.rsmjournals.com/content/222/2/99.full.pdf html

Have you ever heard of this?

Hi, fresh.

Sorry to butt in.:)

As is true of other essential minerals, it is possible to overdose on manganese. The Institute of Medicine has set the upper limit dosage of manganese at 11 mg per day.

The reference you cited applies to chronic liver disease, which allows manganese to accumulate in the brain.
Note that manganese is actually needed by the astrocytes, for the reaction that converts glutamate to glutamine (glutamine synthetase reaction), and that reaction helps to remove glutamate from the synapses and prevent excitotoxicity.

Best regards,

Rich

freshveggies

Hi, fresh.

Sorry to butt in.:)

As is true of other essential minerals, it is possible to overdose on manganese. The Institute of Medicine has set the upper limit dosage of manganese at 11 mg per day.

The reference you cited applies to chronic liver disease, which allows manganese to accumulate in the brain.
Note that manganese is actually needed by the astrocytes, for the reaction that converts glutamate to glutamine (glutamine synthetase reaction), and that reaction helps to remove glutamate from the synapses and prevent excitotoxicity.

Best regards,

Rich
Thanks Rich for piping in. I appreciate it.

I am new to this panel, glad to see people discussing the questions that I have.

I have treated MTHFR (C677T)+/- for 5 months with Active VitB12 (sublingual) ordered from Dr. Lynch's website. I was happy with the result so far, though I still felt foggy mind in the afternoons. So I ordered 23andme recently.

I just got my 23andme test back and converted it:
MTHFR (C677T)+/-
MTRR (K350A)+/-
MTRR(H595Y)+/-
AHCY(1,2,19) +/-
CBS (A360A) +/+
COMT 61 +/-

I realized the CBS is a more serious problem than MTHFR. I found Dr. Amy's website about the protocols to treat CBS issue, but I could not decide which supplement is effective or suitable for me. I have some questions regarding CBS treatment protocol:
1. Should we add P5P VitB6 or should we avoid P5P VitB6?
2. Between "CBS RNA" and "CBS/NOS Kidney support", which one is more suitable for me?
3. Is CBS RNA for lifelong supplement? It is quite pricy.
4. Where can we ask questions to Dr. Amy directly?

If you have answers to above questions, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Jing

Aileen

To ask a question directly to Dr. Amy or (one of the experienced parents/patients) on her forum, go to her website http://www.dramyyasko.com Click on "Discussion Group" in green box near the bottom of page. You need to register first (it's free).

greenshots

You can't ask Yasko questions directly, there'd be thousands doing so and it just isn't possible but she has what she calls cyber moms who have a great deal of experience with her protocol. They'll answer questions on the site listed above but be aware that they always throw the whole workbook and step one supports out for anyone and these aren't all as important for everyone. Its hard to know when to pick and choose unless you have someone good guiding you.

Unless you have a complete CBS 699 ++, my doc always seems to steer people toward the CBS/NOS caps and you can probably use p5p or B6 if you don't have the COMT ++ defect.

About the lifelong question, I look at supplements as prevention so lets say you get better, do you want to stop them all? I wouldn't. But this is where my doc says she likes to streamline things and cut back to only the necessary stuff. This way, you save money but protect yourself from future problems. Since your genes don't change there's still a risk but she's against having people on 100 things at all let alone once they are doing better. More like 20-30 and then cut back as you heal but then it also depends on how sick you are. We had a gal in my biomed group with ALS who was pissed she hadn't gotten better in a year! Can you imagine? Who is so unrealistic to think after being sick so long and having so many defects take their toll that at 65 she's going to recover in a year? Some don't belong on this protocol at all but others seem to be more realistic and understand its about putting the pieces in slowly and letting your body heal. For those with CFS, this can vary alott since some, like I was, are bedridden and others are still able to work. Its certainly a journey!

yes, I did the urine aminos and the urine MAP which are organic acids.

I used the CBS RNA and minor supports in the beginning. .

Hi Greenshots,

I am just starting my CBS/methylation "journey," and money is tight. Based on your experience, do you feel the CBS rna is a necessary component to CBS treatment? Could you feel a difference from it?

Thanks!

Susan