• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin above nails peeling. Vit. deficiency?

Ocean

Recently the skin above my nails/cuticles (several millimeters or more above) has started peeling. This used to happen to me when I was a kid too. I'm assuming it's related to a vitamin deficiency. Anyone have an idea which one? I looked online but didn't find anything definite.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Wow, that's happening to me at the moment - the skin just a few mm above my nails (but not the cuticles) is ragged. I have been trying a vegan diet for three weeks and have been back to my usual diet for the last couple of days. Don't know if that's relevant.

Ocean

Wow, that's happening to me at the moment - the skin just a few mm above my nails (but not the cuticles) is ragged. I have been trying a vegan diet for three weeks and have been back to my usual diet for the last couple of days. Don't know if that's relevant.

I have a diet that while not vegan is similar to vegan in many ways. No eggs, meat or dairy. On rare occasions I do have some dairy or the occasional egg in a baked product. No meat at all ever. I do eat fish. But I've had this diet for a while so I'm not sure what might be different now. I wonder if some of the vitamins I'm taking are causing deficiency in other vitamins. I did also take a break from some of my vitamins for about a week, I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it. Hopefully someone has an idea!

SaraM

Mine was due to vitamin B deficiency . I needed high doses of all B's except folate and B6.

hurtingallthetimet

Recently the skin above my nails/cuticles (several millimeters or more above) has started peeling. This used to happen to me when I was a kid too. I'm assuming it's related to a vitamin deficiency. Anyone have an idea which one? I looked online but didn't find anything definite.

hello ocean hope you are doing great...my nails do that from time to time....they stay very brittle also...very thin...been told it was from some kind of vitiamin defincy but i dont remember what...i think theres nail polish you can buy to help strengten them though..

Ocean

Yes mine are brittle and thin too Hurtingallthetime. Only calcium and sometimes vit. D has helped with that but I've had trouble tolerating calcium. Sara I'm planning to start adding B vits. so hopefully that will help if that's my issue too. Thanks.

ukxmrv

When I was on the MAF314 my nails grew back to their pre-ME lovely, long and strong level. Lasted for a few months. I've just finished my first month of the MAF878 and nails are brittle, peeling and broken. Some have peeling above the cuticle again.

Ocean

When I was on the MAF314 my nails grew back to their pre-ME lovely, long and strong level. Lasted for a few months. I've just finished my first month of the MAF878 and nails are brittle, peeling and broken. Some have peeling above the cuticle again.
Do you know what aspect of that treatment might have caused the change?

ukxmrv

Sorry Ocean, not a clue. The other time my nails grew long and strong was when I took the steroid Predislone (sp?)

With the MAF314 I thought it might just be the extra dairy products but it was strange that I hadn't noticed it when I took ordinary probiotic yoghurts previous to that. Maybe if I keep taking the MAF878 the same things will happen? Wonder if it is Vit D related but really don't know.

Ocean

That's interesting, maybe it is the calcium from the dairy. Because my nails got much stronger even with just a little occasional calcium. It didn't last though since I didn't continue the calcium.